all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Emacs as a C Programming IDE Configuration?
@ 2011-04-27  6:47 haziz
From: haziz @ 2011-04-27  6:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I use emacs as my main IDE for programming in C. I am exploring ways of configuring emacs to function more as an IDE rather than as a simple text editor. Of course I want syntax highlighting and preferably some code completion. I also want separate buffers to allow shell commands and to M-x compile. I want it to open into this multi-buffer form automatically when visiting a C source file, rather than having to launch each buffer separately. I will be using this mainly for Linux/BSD Unix development, though I also code on Mac OS X (again Unix) and Windows (Windows 7 64bit).

I explored the Emacs Starter Kit posted by Phil Hagelberg (technomancy), but it seems very oriented towards dynamic languages and use of git. I use emacs mainly for developing in C and use mercurial for VC. I am also a relative newbie making configuration of emacs relatively daunting for me.

I am now playing with CEDET and the Emacs Code Browser (ECB) package which is more along the lines of what I want, but is still not perfect.

Any suggestions on customizing emacs as a C programming IDE welcome.