all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Copy Paste Detection
@ 2011-01-21 10:12 Gary
From: Gary @ 2011-01-21 10:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Does anyone know of any modes that do (programming-)language independent
copy/paste (kill/yank) detection in emacs?

I suppose external tools would also work, but I really would prefer it
if it was something I could usable on an emacs buffer.

--
Gary        Please do NOT send me 'courtesy' replies off-list.
GNU Emacs 23.2.1

* Re: Copy Paste Detection
@ 2011-01-21 10:25 ` Deniz Dogan
       [not found]   ` <mailman.2.1295611177.26310.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Deniz Dogan @ 2011-01-21 10:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

2011/1/21 Gary <help-gnu-emacs@garydjones.name>:
> Does anyone know of any modes that do (programming-)language independent
> copy/paste (kill/yank) detection in emacs?
>
> I suppose external tools would also work, but I really would prefer it
> if it was something I could usable on an emacs buffer.

What do you mean?

--
Deniz Dogan

* Re: Copy Paste Detection
@ 2011-01-21 11:59   ` Gary
       [not found]   ` <mailman.2.1295611177.26310.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Gary @ 2011-01-21 11:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Deniz Dogan wrote:

> 2011/1/21 Gary:
>> Does anyone know of any modes that do (programming-)language
> independent
>> copy/paste (kill/yank) detection in emacs?
>>
>> I suppose external tools would also work, but I really would prefer it
>> if it was something I could usable on an emacs buffer.
>>

> What do you mean?

I mean that if in some code file someone has written the same code more
than once, or more likely copy/pasted it, I would like to identify those
code blocks. See http://pmd.sourceforge.net/cpd.html for an example. The
difference is, the language that I use is so little known that a tool
explicitly targeting it won't exist, hence the "language independent"
part.

--

@ 2011-01-21 19:52     ` Jorgen Grahn
From: Jorgen Grahn @ 2011-01-21 19:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Fri, 2011-01-21, Gary wrote:
> Deniz Dogan wrote:
>
>> 2011/1/21 Gary:
>>> Does anyone know of any modes that do (programming-)language
>> independent
>>> copy/paste (kill/yank) detection in emacs?
>>>
>>> I suppose external tools would also work, but I really would prefer it
>>> if it was something I could usable on an emacs buffer.
>>
>> What do you mean?
>
> I mean that if in some code file someone has written the same code more
> than once, or more likely copy/pasted it, I would like to identify those
> code blocks. See http://pmd.sourceforge.net/cpd.html for an example. The
> difference is, the language that I use is so little known that a tool
> explicitly targeting it won't exist, hence the "language independent"
> part.

Sounds more like a job for

  % sort -b | uniq -c | sort -nr

And manually detect suspiciously similar lines.

/Jorgen

--
  // Jorgen Grahn <grahn@  Oo  o.   .  .
\X/     snipabacken.se>   O  o   .