all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* my search/paste idiom not supported in emacs
@ 2010-12-30  0:39 Perry Wagle
From: Perry Wagle @ 2010-12-30  0:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

In xemacs, if I double click on a word, the word is highlighted.  If I then press control-s for search, and click the middle mouse button *without moving the mouse*, I will paste that word into the search string, and all is good.

Emacs, on the other hand, does not support this idiom.  For some reason, the middle mouse button *ABORTS* the search mode, and then pastes the word under the mouse.  Why would you want that?

This idiom alone has kept me using xemacs for over a decade.  I'd like to switch to emacs now.

Can I fix this easily with option-setting, or does it require me to hack and add the correct behavior?

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

-- Perry

* Re: my search/paste idiom not supported in emacs
       [not found] <mailman.4.1293700342.31316.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2010-12-30  9:35 ` Joost Kremers
From: Joost Kremers @ 2010-12-30  9:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Perry Wagle wrote:
> In xemacs, if I double click on a word, the word is highlighted. If I then
> press control-s for search, and click the middle mouse button *without moving
> the mouse*, I will paste that word into the search string, and all is good.
[...]
> Can I fix this easily with option-setting, or does it require me to hack and
> add the correct behavior?

perhaps you can use this instead:

(info "(emacs) Isearch Yank")

--
Joost Kremers                                      joostkremers@yahoo.com
EN:SiS(9)

* Re: my search/paste idiom not supported in emacs
@ 2010-12-30  9:39 ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2010-12-30  9:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Perry Wagle <wagle@mac.com> writes:

Hi Perry,

> In xemacs, if I double click on a word, the word is highlighted.  If I
> then press control-s for search, and click the middle mouse button
> *without moving the mouse*, I will paste that word into the search
> string, and all is good.
>
> Emacs, on the other hand, does not support this idiom.  For some
> reason, the middle mouse button *ABORTS* the search mode, and then
> pastes the word under the mouse.  Why would you want that?

Hm, middle mouse button is "paste the primary selection at this
position" in almost any X application.

> This idiom alone has kept me using xemacs for over a decade.  I'd like
> to switch to emacs now.
>
> Can I fix this easily with option-setting, or does it require me to
> hack and add the correct behavior?

Simply add a keybinding for that:

(define-key isearch-mode-map (kbd "<mouse-2>")
  'isearch-yank-x-selection)

If you don't like how that expands the region (including highlighting),
then use something like that to deactivate the mark before:

(define-key isearch-mode-map (kbd "<mouse-2>")
  (lambda ()
    (interactive)
    (deactivate-mark)
    (isearch-yank-x-selection)))

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: my search/paste idiom not supported in emacs
@ 2010-12-30 10:01 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2010-12-30 10:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Perry Wagle; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 30.12.2010 um 01:39 schrieb Perry Wagle:

> For some reason, the middle mouse button *ABORTS* the search mode,
> and then pastes the word under the mouse.  Why would you want that?

Because it's consistent with X11: <down-mouse-2> or <mouse-2> insert
text.

Consider changing isearch-mode-map to remap which has

     (define-key map [mouse-movement] nil)
     ;; People expect to be able to paste with the mouse.
     (define-key map [mouse-2] #'isearch-mouse-2)
     (define-key map [down-mouse-2] nil)

and which is defined in isearch.el.

--
Greetings

   Pete

Ce qui été compris n'existe plus.
				(Paul Eluard)

* Re: my search/paste idiom not supported in emacs
@ 2010-12-30 15:36 ` Kenneth Goldman
From: Kenneth Goldman @ 2010-12-30 15:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Perry Wagle <wagle@mac.com>
>
> In xemacs, if I double click on a word, the word is highlighted.  If
> I then press control-s for search, and click the middle mouse button
> *without moving the mouse*, I will paste that word into the search
> string, and all is good.
>
> Emacs, on the other hand, does not support this idiom.  For some
> reason, the middle mouse button *ABORTS* the search mode, and then
> pastes the word under the mouse.  Why would you want that?

(You want C-w instead of middle mouse)

Try this idiom:

Put the cursor at the beginning of the work you want to search for
C-s C-w (more C-w 's paste more words into the search string
C-s ...

* Re: my search/paste idiom not supported in emacs
@ 2010-12-30 16:23   ` Perry Wagle
From: Perry Wagle @ 2010-12-30 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tassilo Horn; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Dec 30, 2010, at 1:39 AM, Tassilo Horn wrote:

> Perry Wagle <wagle@mac.com> writes:
>
> Hi Perry,
>
>> In xemacs, if I double click on a word, the word is highlighted.  If I
>> then press control-s for search, and click the middle mouse button
>> *without moving the mouse*, I will paste that word into the search
>> string, and all is good.
>>
>> Emacs, on the other hand, does not support this idiom.  For some
>> reason, the middle mouse button *ABORTS* the search mode, and then
>> pastes the word under the mouse.  Why would you want that?
>
> Hm, middle mouse button is "paste the primary selection at this
> position" in almost any X application.

The position is the search function waiting for a string to look for.

>> This idiom alone has kept me using xemacs for over a decade.  I'd like
>> to switch to emacs now.
>>
>> Can I fix this easily with option-setting, or does it require me to
>> hack and add the correct behavior?
>
> Simply add a keybinding for that:

> (define-key isearch-mode-map (kbd "<mouse-2>")
>  'isearch-yank-x-selection)
>
> If you don't like how that expands the region (including highlighting),
> then use something like that to deactivate the mark before:

> (define-key isearch-mode-map (kbd "<mouse-2>")
>  (lambda ()
>    (interactive)
>    (deactivate-mark)
>    (isearch-yank-x-selection)))

WIll try this, thanks!

@ 2010-12-30 16:26   ` Perry Wagle
From: Perry Wagle @ 2010-12-30 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Dyballa; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Dec 30, 2010, at 2:01 AM, Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Am 30.12.2010 um 01:39 schrieb Perry Wagle:
>
>> For some reason, the middle mouse button *ABORTS* the search mode, and then pastes the word under the mouse.  Why would you want that?
>

> Because it's consistent with X11: <down-mouse-2> or <mouse-2> insert text.

No, you are inserting the saved text into the search mode prompt, which is being *aborted* to provide the current behavior.

> Consider changing isearch-mode-map to remap which has
>
>    (define-key map [mouse-movement] nil)
>    ;; People expect to be able to paste with the mouse.
>    (define-key map [mouse-2] #'isearch-mouse-2)
>    (define-key map [down-mouse-2] nil)
>
> and which is defined in isearch.el.

I will try that, thanks!

@ 2011-01-03  4:36 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2011-01-03  4:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> In xemacs, if I double click on a word, the word is highlighted.  If I then
> press control-s for search, and click the middle mouse button *without
> moving the mouse*, I will paste that word into the search string, and all
> is good.

I recommend you M-x report-emacs-bug (which is also used for feature
requests).  It seems reasonable to give mouse-2 the meaning of "insert
in the search string" rather than "insert in the current buffer".

* Re: my search/paste idiom not supported in emacs
@ 2011-01-05  8:56   ` Perry Wagle
From: Perry Wagle @ 2011-01-05  8:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Its now http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=7787

Thanks!

-- Perry

@ 2011-02-09  3:33     ` Perry Wagle
From: Perry Wagle @ 2011-02-09  3:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I'm starting now to work seriously on fixing this, and re-reading the previous responses, I'm not sure I was clear on the situation, and people didn't understand why there was a problem.  So me fixing it wouldn't stick.  Let me try again in hopes of achieving agreement:

In emacs, I double click on a word with mouse-1.  This highlights it.  If I then mouse-2, its pasted at the mouse cursor.  No problem.

But if I double click on a word, highlighting it, and press control-S, this starts a "dialog" at the bottom of the screen where *what you type is captured* to give it text to search for.  But if you then press mouse-2, the search mode is *aborted*, and the highlighted text is pasted at the mouse cursor.

I think the highlighted text should be pasted in the dialog at the bottom of the screen, which is already capturing keyboard events.  Xemacs does it that way, and has been doing it for over a decade, and its very quick and natural.

Does anyone think emacs should work as it does now?  Why would you want to have it abort the search mode?  Why not capture mouse events the same as keyboard events?

Am I making more sense now?

-- Perry

@ 2011-02-09  9:18       ` Gary
From: Gary @ 2011-02-09  9:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Perry Wagle wrote:

> In emacs, I double click on a word with mouse-1.  This highlights it.
> If I then mouse-2, its pasted at the mouse cursor.  No problem.
>
> But if I double click on a word, highlighting it, and press control-S,
> this starts a "dialog" at the bottom of the screen where *what you type
> is captured* to give it text to search for.  But if you then press
> mouse-2, the search mode is *aborted*, and the highlighted text is
> pasted at the mouse cursor.
>
> I think the highlighted text should be pasted in the dialog at the
> bottom of the screen, which is already capturing keyboard events.

I think you're probably right. Could it be related to a thread I started
some months ago ("Yanking in isearch mode")? That whole area seems to
have some usability issues.