all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Emacs does not recognize the alt modifier key
@ 2010-02-12  0:46 Tim Johnson
From: Tim Johnson @ 2010-02-12  0:46 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Using emacs 22.3.1 on Slackware 13.0 32-bit, stock install.
FYI: Used emacs extensively at one time, after several years,
have resumed usage.

Emacs does not recognize the alt key on this Operating system. Emacs
does recognize the following modifiers: control, hyper and super. The
last two are set via xmodmap.  xev will recognize the 'alt' key as do
other applications - such as vim.

<esc> + char sequences appear to be interpreted the same as an alt-char
combination. (As I would expect)

Example: c-h,k <esc>-p => M-p (translated from <escape> p) runs the
command scroll-other-window-down.
But c-h,k <alt>-p => H-p runs the command backward-sexp
;; Note 'H-p' instead of 'M-p'.

I have not changed any of my emacs settings (that I know of) since I
used emacs on previous OSs (slack 10.0 and kubuntu).

Please advise.
thanks

--
Tim
tim@johnsons-web.com

* Re: Emacs does not recognize the alt modifier key
@ 2010-02-12  2:46 ` Tim Johnson
From: Tim Johnson @ 2010-02-12  2:46 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2010-02-12, Tim Johnson <tim@johnsons-web.com> wrote:

<..>
> Emacs does not recognize the alt key on this Operating system. Emacs
> does recognize the following modifiers: control, hyper and super. The
> last two are set via xmodmap.  xev will recognize the 'alt' key as do
> other applications - such as vim.
<..>
> ;; Note 'H-p' instead of 'M-p'.
>
> I have not changed any of my emacs settings (that I know of) since I
> used emacs on previous OSs (slack 10.0 and kubuntu).
  Well, I've surprised myself and found the solution. As a mea culpa,
	here is the solution:
	My .Xmodmap file, which is run by slack at login and reconfigures my
	keyboard to meet my preferences did not do any remapping for the right
	alt/meta key. I.E., the key remains as originally designed.

	The left alt/meta key had been remapped.

	Just for grins, I applied : following xmodmap command:
  keycode 108 = Alt_R
  ! followed by:
	add mod1 = Alt_R
	! and now both the right and left alt/meta keys are recognized by
	emacs.
--

@ 2010-02-12  5:19 ` Tim X
From: Tim X @ 2010-02-12  5:19 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Tim Johnson <tim@johnsons-web.com> writes:

> Using emacs 22.3.1 on Slackware 13.0 32-bit, stock install.
> FYI: Used emacs extensively at one time, after several years,
> have resumed usage.
>
> Emacs does not recognize the alt key on this Operating system. Emacs
> does recognize the following modifiers: control, hyper and super. The
> last two are set via xmodmap.  xev will recognize the 'alt' key as do
> other applications - such as vim.
>
> <esc> + char sequences appear to be interpreted the same as an alt-char
> combination. (As I would expect)
>
> Example: c-h,k <esc>-p => M-p (translated from <escape> p) runs the
> command scroll-other-window-down.
> But c-h,k <alt>-p => H-p runs the command backward-sexp
> ;; Note 'H-p' instead of 'M-p'.
>
> I have not changed any of my emacs settings (that I know of) since I
> used emacs on previous OSs (slack 10.0 and kubuntu).

I believe this is covered in the etc/PROBLEMS file. To some extent, the
solution depends on whether your running under the console, within an
xterm (or similar - some have their own quirks) or running native X
windows. The FAQ may also have some pointers.

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au

* Re: Emacs does not recognize the alt modifier key
@ 2010-02-12 16:46   ` Tim Johnson
From: Tim Johnson @ 2010-02-12 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2010-02-12, Tim X <timx@nospam.dev.null> wrote:

> I believe this is covered in the etc/PROBLEMS file. To some extent, the
> solution depends on whether your running under the console, within an
> xterm (or similar - some have their own quirks) or running native X
> windows. The FAQ may also have some pointers.
  Thanks for pointing me to that file.

  Even tho' I found my own solution, now I know more about the why and
  better how to troubleshoot should I have more problems.

  cheers
--
Tim
tim@johnsons-web.com