all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Fonts not displayed
@ 2009-11-09 17:59 Joost Kremers
       [not found] ` <mailman.10545.1258007559.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Joost Kremers @ 2009-11-09 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi All,

I'm having a weird font problem on a recent install of Emacs, as shown here:

http://user.uni-frankfurt.de/~kremers/Emacs-font-weirdness.png

As can be seen, the text in the text area looks like a bar code or something.
The fonts in the menus is not affected, but the tool tips are.

This is on a Ubuntu 9.10 for PowerPC installation, with Emacs 23.1.1. The
screenshot shown here is an Emacs instance started with `emacs -Q'.

I've tried selecting a different font through the menu "Options | Set Default
Font...". This does change the dimensions of the Emacs window (so some
adjustment to the new font is made), but any font I've tried is displayed in the
same way...

I'm not entirely sure if this is an Emacs issue or whether something else is
wrong, but so far it only seems to happen with Emacs. I'm hoping someone has an
idea what might be going wrong...

TIA

Joost

--
Joost Kremers                                      joostkremers@yahoo.com
EN:SiS(9)

* Re: Fonts not displayed
@ 2009-11-12  6:32 ` Kevin Rodgers
       [not found] ` <mailman.10545.1258007559.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2009-11-12  6:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Joost Kremers wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm having a weird font problem on a recent install of Emacs, as shown here:
>
> http://user.uni-frankfurt.de/~kremers/Emacs-font-weirdness.png
>
> As can be seen, the text in the text area looks like a bar code or something.
> The fonts in the menus is not affected, but the tool tips are.
>
> This is on a Ubuntu 9.10 for PowerPC installation, with Emacs 23.1.1. The
> screenshot shown here is an Emacs instance started with `emacs -Q'.

What does `C-u C-x =' display when point is before one of the bar code
characters?

> I've tried selecting a different font through the menu "Options | Set Default
> Font...". This does change the dimensions of the Emacs window (so some
> adjustment to the new font is made), but any font I've tried is displayed in the
> same way...

Does that affect the font information displayed by `C-u C-x ='?

> I'm not entirely sure if this is an Emacs issue or whether something else is
> wrong, but so far it only seems to happen with Emacs. I'm hoping someone has an
> idea what might be going wrong...

Very weird indeed...

--
Kevin Rodgers
Denver, Colorado, USA

* Re: Fonts not displayed
       [not found] ` <mailman.10545.1258007559.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2009-11-12 23:49   ` Jason Rumney
From: Jason Rumney @ 2009-11-12 23:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Nov 12, 2:32 pm, Kevin Rodgers <kevin.d.rodg...@gmail.com> wrote:

> What does `C-u C-x =' display when point is before one of the bar code
> characters?

I imagine it displays more indecipherable characters that look like a
barcode, so copy and paste into another application (emacs -nw, older
version of Emacs...) to read them.

* Re: Fonts not displayed
       [not found] ` <mailman.10545.1258007559.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2009-11-13 11:22   ` Joost Kremers
From: Joost Kremers @ 2009-11-13 11:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Kevin Rodgers wrote:
> Joost Kremers wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I'm having a weird font problem on a recent install of Emacs, as shown here:
>>
>> http://user.uni-frankfurt.de/~kremers/Emacs-font-weirdness.png
>>
>> As can be seen, the text in the text area looks like a bar code or something.
>> The fonts in the menus is not affected, but the tool tips are.
>>
>> This is on a Ubuntu 9.10 for PowerPC installation, with Emacs 23.1.1. The
>> screenshot shown here is an Emacs instance started with `emacs -Q'.
>
> What does `C-u C-x =' display when point is before one of the bar code
> characters?

Nothing unusual, I'd say:

        character: ; (59, #o73, #x3b)
preferred charset: ascii (ASCII (ISO646 IRV))
       code point: 0x3B
           syntax: < 	which means: comment
         category: .:Base, a:ASCII, l:Latin, r:Roman
      buffer code: #x3B
        file code: #x3B (encoded by coding system utf-8-unix)
          display: by this font (glyph code)
    xft:-unknown-DejaVu Sans Mono-normal-normal-normal-*-18-*-*-*-m-0-iso10646-1 (#x1E)

Character code properties: customize what to show
  name: SEMICOLON
  general-category: Po (Punctuation, Other)

There are text properties here:
  face                 font-lock-comment-delimiter-face
  fontified            t

>> I've tried selecting a different font through the menu "Options | Set Default
>> Font...". This does change the dimensions of the Emacs window (so some
>> adjustment to the new font is made), but any font I've tried is displayed in the
>> same way...
>
> Does that affect the font information displayed by `C-u C-x ='?

All that changes is the font name.

BTW, if I start Emacs with a non-xft font, text is displayed normally.