all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* AucTeX, LaTeX and TEXINPUTS
@ 2008-05-12 13:20 aspfjm
From: aspfjm @ 2008-05-12 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

hi,

i'm a newbie at emacs/auctex/latex/linux.i use ubuntu 8.04, emacs
22.1.1, auctex 11.84 and texlive 2007.

this is the test package (placed in ~/latexpackages/test.sty):
 \newcommand{\hello}{hello world}

this is the tex file (placed in ~/hello.tex):
\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{test}
\begin{document}
\hello
\end{document}

i put my locally installed LaTeX packages in ~/latexpackages, but i
can't compile tex files from emacs. i have no problems when i use bash
(latex hello.tex -> "[...] Output written on hello.dvi (1 page, 232
bytes)." and "echo $TEXINPUTS" outputs /home/anders/latexpackages).

i think the problem is located within emacs or auctex, but i have no
idea how to fix this.

any help appreciated, thanks.

* Re: AucTeX, LaTeX and TEXINPUTS
@ 2008-05-12 13:32 ` Rupert Swarbrick
From: Rupert Swarbrick @ 2008-05-12 13:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

aspfjm@gmail.com writes:

> hi,
>
> i'm a newbie at emacs/auctex/latex/linux.i use ubuntu 8.04, emacs
> 22.1.1, auctex 11.84 and texlive 2007.
>
> this is the test package (placed in ~/latexpackages/test.sty):
>  \newcommand{\hello}{hello world}
>
> this is the tex file (placed in ~/hello.tex):
> \documentclass{article}
> \usepackage{test}
> \begin{document}
> \hello
> \end{document}
>
> i put my locally installed LaTeX packages in ~/latexpackages, but i
> can't compile tex files from emacs. i have no problems when i use bash
> (latex hello.tex -> "[...] Output written on hello.dvi (1 page, 232
> bytes)." and "echo $TEXINPUTS" outputs /home/anders/latexpackages).
>
> i think the problem is located within emacs or auctex, but i have no
> idea how to fix this.
>
> any help appreciated, thanks.

I haven't tried this, but it might be about environment
variables. Running LaTeX from a shell, your shell will have already
parsed stuff like your .bashrc and set various env variables, such as
$TEXINPUTS.

Maybe you're invoking emacs from eg a menu icon? In which case those
won't get set, I don't think. A workaround might be to add a line like

(setenv "TEXINPUTS" "~/latexpackages")

To your .emacs

Rupert

* Re: AucTeX, LaTeX and TEXINPUTS
@ 2008-05-12 14:17 ` Joost Kremers
From: Joost Kremers @ 2008-05-12 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

aspfjm@gmail.com wrote:
> i put my locally installed LaTeX packages in ~/latexpackages, but i
> can't compile tex files from emacs.

you won't find much help here or anywhere else if you don't provide a
better description of what goes wrong. when you say "i can't compile tex
files from emacs", what does that mean? what have you done co
install/configure auctex? what are you doing in order to run tex/latex on
your file? etc. etc.

--
Joost Kremers                                      joostkremers@yahoo.com
EN:SiS(9)