all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* delete-trailing-whitespace on save
@ 2007-11-27 14:34 jdh2358
From: jdh2358 @ 2007-11-27 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I would like to automatically call delete-trailing-whitespace in
python-mode when I execute save-buffer.  I assume there is some way
using advice, but my emacs lisp skills are very rusty!  At first I
thought I could use an after-save-hook

(add-hook 'python-mode-hook
          (lambda ()
	    (setq show-trailing-whitespace t)
	    (make-local-hook 'after-save-hook)
	    (add-hook 'after-save-hook 'delete-trailing-whitespace)))

but that deletes the whitespace *after* saving.  I need something like
a before-save-hook.  I googled before-save-hook and it appears there
was once such a beast, but it does not appear to be a variable in my
version of emacs (GNU Emacs 21.3.1)

Thanks,
JDH

* Re: delete-trailing-whitespace on save
@ 2007-11-27 14:42 ` Joost Kremers
From: Joost Kremers @ 2007-11-27 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

jdh2358@gmail.com wrote:
> thought I could use an after-save-hook
>
> but that deletes the whitespace *after* saving.

as the name implies... ;-)

>  I need something like
> a before-save-hook.  I googled before-save-hook and it appears there
> was once such a beast, but it does not appear to be a variable in my
> version of emacs (GNU Emacs 21.3.1)

there is in my version (GNU Emacs 23.0.0.1), so i find it odd that you
don't have it. have you tried <C-h v before-save-hook RET>?

--
Joost Kremers                                      joostkremers@yahoo.com
EN:SiS(9)

* Re: delete-trailing-whitespace on save
@ 2007-11-27 14:56   ` jdh2358
From: jdh2358 @ 2007-11-27 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Nov 27, 8:42 am, Joost Kremers <joostkrem...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> jdh2...@gmail.com wrote:

> there is in my version (GNU Emacs 23.0.0.1), so i find it odd that you
> don't have it. have you tried <C-h v before-save-hook RET>?

Yes, and it is not there...  Unfortunately, upgrading is probably not
an option for me.

@ 2007-11-27 17:27 ` Will Parsons
From: Will Parsons @ 2007-11-27 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

jdh2358@gmail.com wrote:
> I would like to automatically call delete-trailing-whitespace in
> python-mode when I execute save-buffer.  I assume there is some way
> using advice, but my emacs lisp skills are very rusty!  At first I
> thought I could use an after-save-hook
>

> (add-hook 'python-mode-hook
>           (lambda ()
> 	    (setq show-trailing-whitespace t)
> 	    (make-local-hook 'after-save-hook)
> 	    (add-hook 'after-save-hook 'delete-trailing-whitespace)))
>
> but that deletes the whitespace *after* saving.  I need something like
> a before-save-hook.  I googled before-save-hook and it appears there
> was once such a beast, but it does not appear to be a variable in my
> version of emacs (GNU Emacs 21.3.1)

Try 'write-file-hooks.

- Will

* delete-trailing-whitespace on save
@ 2007-11-28 13:21 martin rudalics
From: martin rudalics @ 2007-11-28 13:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jdh2358; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Your `basic-save-buffer' should give you three ways to do that:

	    (or (run-hook-with-args-until-success 'write-contents-hooks)
		(run-hook-with-args-until-success 'local-write-file-hooks)
		(run-hook-with-args-until-success 'write-file-hooks)