all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* '-u:--' in mode line
@ 2007-05-14 16:10 mashrur.mia
From: mashrur.mia @ 2007-05-14 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello All,

Newbie question.

What is meaning of '-u:--' in mode line? This is displayed for the
scratch buffer. Does this u mean Unicode encoding? if so, is scratch
buffer encoded in unicode? If so, how I see the encoding of other
buffers?

thanks

* Re: '-u:--' in mode line
@ 2007-05-14 16:33 ` B. T. Raven
From: B. T. Raven @ 2007-05-14 16:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

mashrur.mia@gmail.com wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> Newbie question.
>
> What is meaning of '-u:--' in mode line? This is displayed for the
> scratch buffer. Does this u mean Unicode encoding? if so, is scratch
> buffer encoded in unicode? If so, how I see the encoding of other
> buffers?
>
> thanks

Yes. Probably utf-8 or one of its synonyms. If you type C-h i m emacs m mode
line you will see the format:
"
Normally, the mode line looks like this:

      -CS:CH  BUF      (MAJOR MINOR)--LINE--POS------
"

cs is coding system and ch is edit status. If you make a change, the two
hyphens after the colon will CHange to **

Ed

* Re: '-u:--' in mode line
@ 2007-05-14 16:42 ` Tyler Smith
From: Tyler Smith @ 2007-05-14 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2007-05-14, mashrur.mia@gmail.com <mashrur.mia@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> Newbie question.
>
> What is meaning of '-u:--' in mode line? This is displayed for the
> scratch buffer. Does this u mean Unicode encoding? if so, is scratch
> buffer encoded in unicode? If so, how I see the encoding of other
> buffers?

Hi,

This is explained in the emacs manual:

C-h i m emacs <ret> m mode line <ret>

will get you started.

HTH,

Tyler

* Re: '-u:--' in mode line
@ 2007-05-14 19:36 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2007-05-14 19:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mashrur.mia; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 14.05.2007 um 18:10 schrieb mashrur.mia@gmail.com:

> If so, how I see the encoding of other buffers?

	M-x list-coding-system RET

or

	M-x mule-diag RET

can show all the possible abbreviations for the coding systems used
for buffers.

--
Greetings

   Pete

"America believes in education: the average professor earns more money
in a year than a professional athlete earns in a whole week." – Evan
Esar