all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* change location of .emacs
@ 2007-02-21 16:49 Hadron
From: Hadron @ 2007-02-21 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

A quick google shows me I can change the "user" with -u to pick up that
users .emacs, but how to just say I want MY ".emacs" which is in another
directory? I wish to keep my .emacs in my "lisp" directory and tell
emacs about it on the command line. Possible?

* Re: change location of .emacs
@ 2007-02-21 17:05 ` Maarten Bergvelt
From: Maarten Bergvelt @ 2007-02-21 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

In article <871wkjpiaz.fsf@gmail.com>, Hadron wrote:

> A quick google shows me I can change the "user" with -u to pick up that
> users .emacs, but how to just say I want MY ".emacs" which is in another
> directory? I wish to keep my .emacs in my "lisp" directory and tell
> emacs about it on the command line. Possible?

To learn about emacs maybe not google but read the documentation? See
command line arguments section in the manual, you seem to be looking
for
emacs -q -l lispdirectory/your.emacs.file

hth
--
Maarten Bergvelt

* Re: change location of .emacs
@ 2007-02-21 17:20   ` Hadron
       [not found]   ` <mailman.4858.1172085400.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Hadron @ 2007-02-21 17:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Maarten Bergvelt <bergv@math.uiuc.edu> writes:

> In article <871wkjpiaz.fsf@gmail.com>, Hadron wrote:
>>
>> A quick google shows me I can change the "user" with -u to pick up that
>> users .emacs, but how to just say I want MY ".emacs" which is in another
>> directory? I wish to keep my .emacs in my "lisp" directory and tell
>> emacs about it on the command line. Possible?
>
> To learn about emacs maybe not google but read the documentation? See
> command line arguments section in the manual, you seem to be looking
> for
> emacs -q -l lispdirectory/your.emacs.file
>
> hth

There is no "-l" option mentioned in my emacs command line "C2. initial options"
startup section other than when running emacs in batch.

* Re: change location of .emacs
@ 2007-02-21 17:36     ` Maarten Bergvelt
From: Maarten Bergvelt @ 2007-02-21 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

In article <87tzxfmnqq.fsf@gmail.com>, Hadron wrote:
> Maarten Bergvelt <bergv@math.uiuc.edu> writes:
>
>> In article <871wkjpiaz.fsf@gmail.com>, Hadron wrote:
>>>
>>> A quick google shows me I can change the "user" with -u to pick up that
>>> users .emacs, but how to just say I want MY ".emacs" which is in another
>>> directory? I wish to keep my .emacs in my "lisp" directory and tell
>>> emacs about it on the command line. Possible?
>>
>> To learn about emacs maybe not google but read the documentation? See
>> command line arguments section in the manual, you seem to be looking
>> for
>> emacs -q -l lispdirectory/your.emacs.file
>>
>> hth
>
> There is no "-l" option mentioned in my emacs command line "C2. initial options"
> startup section other than when runniDng emacs in batch.

Did you look in the emacs manual? Look in the options index under
load. It is in the section on Action Arguments, not in Initial
Options.

--
Maarten Bergvelt

* Re: change location of .emacs
@ 2007-02-21 19:16   ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found]   ` <mailman.4858.1172085400.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2007-02-21 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Maarten Bergvelt <bergv@math.uiuc.edu>
> Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 17:05:12 +0000 (UTC)
>
> In article <871wkjpiaz.fsf@gmail.com>, Hadron wrote:
> >
> > A quick google shows me I can change the "user" with -u to pick up that
> > users .emacs, but how to just say I want MY ".emacs" which is in another
> > directory? I wish to keep my .emacs in my "lisp" directory and tell
> > emacs about it on the command line. Possible?
>
> To learn about emacs maybe not google but read the documentation? See
> command line arguments section in the manual, you seem to be looking
> for
> emacs -q -l lispdirectory/your.emacs.file

This suggestion could have surprising effects, as loading .emacs via
the -l switch is subtly different from what Emacs does when it finds
.emacs in the user's home directory.

To the OP: I suggest to put a one-line .emacs in your HOME directory
that says this:

  (load "your.lisp.directory/your.emacs.file")

* Re: change location of .emacs
       [not found]   ` <mailman.4858.1172085400.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-02-21 19:33     ` Maarten Bergvelt
From: Maarten Bergvelt @ 2007-02-21 19:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

In article <mailman.4858.1172085400.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>,
Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> From: Maarten Bergvelt <bergv@math.uiuc.edu>
>> Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 17:05:12 +0000 (UTC)
>>
>> In article <871wkjpiaz.fsf@gmail.com>, Hadron wrote:
>> >
>> > A quick google shows me I can change the "user" with -u to pick up that
>> > users .emacs, but how to just say I want MY ".emacs" which is in another
>> > directory? I wish to keep my .emacs in my "lisp" directory and tell
>> > emacs about it on the command line. Possible?
>>
>> To learn about emacs maybe not google but read the documentation? See
>> command line arguments section in the manual, you seem to be looking
>> for
>> emacs -q -l lispdirectory/your.emacs.file
>
> This suggestion could have surprising effects, as loading .emacs via
> the -l switch is subtly different from what Emacs does when it finds
> .emacs in the user's home directory.

Hm, I didn't realize this. What can go wrong?

> To the OP: I suggest to put a one-line .emacs in your HOME directory
> that says this:
>
>   (load "your.lisp.directory/your.emacs.file")

Well, the OP didn't want to have a .emacs in his home directory, if I
understood him correctly.

--
Maarten Bergvelt

* Re: change location of .emacs
@ 2007-02-22  4:26       ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2007-02-22  4:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Maarten Bergvelt <bergv@math.uiuc.edu>
> Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 19:33:03 +0000 (UTC)
> >>
> >> emacs -q -l lispdirectory/your.emacs.file
> >
> > This suggestion could have surprising effects, as loading .emacs via
> > the -l switch is subtly different from what Emacs does when it finds
> > .emacs in the user's home directory.
>
> Hm, I didn't realize this. What can go wrong?

Emacs loads .emacs at a specific stage in its initialization; doing
that after the initialization will work differently.  For example,
initial-frame-alist will not have its full effect.

> Well, the OP didn't want to have a .emacs in his home directory, if I
> understood him correctly.

I think he only wanted to maintain the bulk of it elsewhere.  But
that's a guess; you may well be right (although I fail to see how the
existence of .emacs can be of any burden).