all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* apropos inconsistancy
@ 2006-10-22 16:56 Tim Johnson
From: Tim Johnson @ 2006-10-22 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

:-) Don't ask me to speak the subject before I have my coffee.

Seriously, Apropos on emacs sometimes gives me much less than Xemacs
does. More often certain items that appear in xemacs do not appear
in GNU emacs (with apropos) , whereas ch f will match them.

Here is an example:
c-h a split <ret>

  Xemacs shows me 'split-string
  emacs does not

Could it be be that I have a misconfiguration in my emacs
setup that interferes with apropos?

Thanks
tim

--
Tim Johnson <tim@johnsons-web.com>

* Re: apropos inconsistancy
@ 2006-10-22 17:29 ` Harald Hanche-Olsen
From: Harald Hanche-Olsen @ 2006-10-22 17:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

+ Tim Johnson <tim@johnsons-web.com>:

| :-) Don't ask me to speak the subject before I have my coffee.

We only ask that you spell it.  8-)

| Here is an example:
| c-h a split <ret>
|
|   Xemacs shows me 'split-string
|   emacs does not
|
| Could it be be that I have a misconfiguration in my emacs
| setup that interferes with apropos?

Could it be that you have not read the documentation for apropos?

C-h k C-h a

And could it be that you haven't tried prefixing the command thusly?

C-u C-h a split

Nah, that couldn't be.  Enjoy your coffee.

  -- Bertrand Russell

* Re: apropos inconsistancy
@ 2006-10-22 17:56   ` Tim Johnson
From: Tim Johnson @ 2006-10-22 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2006-10-22, Harald Hanche-Olsen <hanche@math.ntnu.no> wrote:
> + Tim Johnson <tim@johnsons-web.com>:
>
>| :-) Don't ask me to speak the subject before I have my coffee.
>
> We only ask that you spell it.  8-)
>
> Could it be that you have not read the documentation for apropos?

 Help on Help?

> C-h k C-h a

 Eureka!

> And could it be that you haven't tried prefixing the command thusly?
>
> C-u C-h a split
>
> Nah, that couldn't be.  Enjoy your coffee.

 Now I don't have to leave Xemacs open ...
 thanks
 cheers
 tj

--