all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Default font and .Xdefaults
@ 2006-04-19  3:57 Tim Johnson
From: Tim Johnson @ 2006-04-19  3:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello:
I've just installed emacs 21.4a with the following
version info:

GNU Emacs 21.4.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars)
On Linux Redhat 9.0

It now appears that the .Xdefaults setting of:

Emacs.default.attributeFont:
-*-Fixed-bold-r-*-*-*-120-*-*-*-*-iso8859-8

Is not being loaded.
According to docs, default font is Courier 12pt under X
and that is what I believe that I am seeing, but it is wholly inadequate
for someone of my vision.

NOTES:
  I've "recompiled" .Xdefaults as in xrdb -load ~/.Xdefaults
  Have loaded emacs with -q and -debug-init with no changes or
  complaints.

Questions:

What syntax is needed for .Xdefaults to provide a larger,
bolder font?

Pointers to docs?
  FYI: I also have no Info node for 'emacs', but that's an issue I'll
  tackle when I can easily read again.
  (i.e. c-h i memacs RET gives [no match])

Thanks
tim

--
Tim Johnson <tim@johnsons-web.com>

* Re: Default font and .Xdefaults
@ 2006-04-19  8:15 ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found] ` <mailman.559.1145434592.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2006-04-19  8:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 19.04.2006 um 05:57 schrieb Tim Johnson:

>   FYI: I also have no Info node for 'emacs', but that's an issue I'll
>   tackle when I can easily read again.

Try to find out where the info files can be found on your system and
create an environment variable INFOPATH that concatenates these
directories (path1:path2:...).

Have you tried

	Emacs*font:             -*-lucidatypewriter-medium-r-*-*-10-*-*-*-m-
*-iso10646-1

--
Greetings

   Pete     === -Q
              ==<__/% >>
_____________(_)____@_____________________________

@ 2006-04-19 15:57   ` Tim Johnson
From: Tim Johnson @ 2006-04-19 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2006-04-19, Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@Web.DE> wrote:

 Hiya Peter:

> Am 19.04.2006 um 05:57 schrieb Tim Johnson:
>
>>   FYI: I also have no Info node for 'emacs', but that's an issue I'll
>>   tackle when I can easily read again.
>
> Try to find out where the info files can be found on your system and
> create an environment variable INFOPATH that concatenates these
> directories (path1:path2:...).

 Understood...

> Have you tried
>
> 	Emacs*font:             -*-lucidatypewriter-medium-r-*-*-10-*-*-*-m-
> *-iso10646-1

 :-) Well, I tried:
 Emacs*Font: -*-Fixed-bold-r-*-*-*-100-*-*-*-*-iso8859-8

 and now I can see again!
 Thanks for the tip on the `Emacs*Font' syntax.
 cheers
 tim

--

@ 2006-04-19 16:36 ` Kevin Rodgers
       [not found] ` <mailman.588.1145464660.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2006-04-19 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tim Johnson wrote:

> I've just installed emacs 21.4a with the following
> version info:
>
> GNU Emacs 21.4.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars)
> On Linux Redhat 9.0
>
> It now appears that the .Xdefaults setting of:
>
> Emacs.default.attributeFont:
> -*-Fixed-bold-r-*-*-*-120-*-*-*-*-iso8859-8
>
> Is not being loaded.

Do you mean that it used to?

Does it help to generalize the resource name from
Emacs.default.attributeFont to Emacs*Font?

> According to docs, default font is Courier 12pt under X
> and that is what I believe that I am seeing, but it is wholly inadequate
> for someone of my vision.

Yes, I've bumped mine up to 14 pt.

> NOTES:
>   I've "recompiled" .Xdefaults as in xrdb -load ~/.Xdefaults
>   Have loaded emacs with -q and -debug-init with no changes or
>   complaints.
>
> Questions:
>
> What syntax is needed for .Xdefaults to provide a larger,
> bolder font?

I wonder if making the default face bold causes problems?

You might also like to try this utility to confirm what you're seeing:

(defun xfd (&optional xlfd)
   "Run the xfd program.
XLFD defaults to the selected frame's font, or the default face's font."
   (interactive (list (read-string "Font: "
                                   (cons (or (frame-parameter
(selected-frame)
                                                              'font)
                                             (face-font 'default))
                                         1))))
   (start-process "xfd" "*Messages*" "xfd"
                  "-fn" (or xlfd

@ 2006-04-19 18:49   ` Tim Johnson
From: Tim Johnson @ 2006-04-19 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2006-04-19, Kevin Rodgers <ihs_4664@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Emacs.default.attributeFont to Emacs*Font?

 Yes.  That solved it.

> (defun xfd (&optional xlfd)
>    "Run the xfd program.
> XLFD defaults to the selected frame's font, or the default face's font."
>    (interactive (list (read-string "Font: "
>                                    (cons (or (frame-parameter
> (selected-frame)
>                                                               'font)
>                                              (face-font 'default))
>                                          1))))
>    (start-process "xfd" "*Messages*" "xfd"
>                   "-fn" (or xlfd
>                             (frame-parameter (selected-frame) 'font)
>                             (face-font 'default))))

 Very handy! It's in play and confirms the installed font.
 Thanks!
 tim

--
Tim Johnson <tim@johnsons-web.com>