all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to indent several lines(one region) left?
@ 2006-01-24  4:22 Wu Kejia
From: Wu Kejia @ 2006-01-24  4:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

Everyone, I can indent several lines right now with Cx TAB, but how to
indent these lines left? I refer the manual, Cx TAB maps the function
indent-rigidly, with argument. If the argument is negative, indent left.
Where should I input the argument? I try to type Mx indent-rigidly RET, but
without any chance for me to input an argument. I run emacs on windows.
Thanks for any response. Thanks.

* Re: How to indent several lines(one region) left?
       [not found] <mailman.2302.1138076754.26925.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2006-01-24  5:08 ` B. T. Raven
From: B. T. Raven @ 2006-01-24  5:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Wu Kejia" <wukejia@msn.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Everyone, I can indent several lines right now with Cx TAB, but how to
> indent these lines left? I refer the manual, Cx TAB maps the function
> indent-rigidly, with argument. If the argument is negative, indent left.
> Where should I input the argument? I try to type Mx indent-rigidly RET,
but
> without any chance for me to input an argument. I run emacs on windows.
> Thanks for any response. Thanks.

> 与联机的朋友进行交流,请使用 MSN Messenger:  http://messenger.msn.com/cn

Like all such arguments it goes before the command: C-u arg and then
immediately C-x TAB. Of course region is marked first.

Ed

@ 2006-01-24  8:03 ` Pascal Bourguignon
From: Pascal Bourguignon @ 2006-01-24  8:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Wu Kejia" <wukejia@msn.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Everyone, I can indent several lines right now with Cx TAB, but how to
> indent these lines left? I refer the manual, Cx TAB maps the function
> indent-rigidly, with argument. If the argument is negative, indent
> left. Where should I input the argument? I try to type Mx
> indent-rigidly RET, but without any chance for me to input an
> argument. I run emacs on windows. Thanks for any response. Thanks.

C-h k C-x TAB
You can input the ARG argument typing: C-u NNN C-x TAB

Exemple: Indent right 8 columns:   C-u 8 C-x TAB
         Indent left 5 columns:    C-u -5 C-x TAB

Also, on X, you can type: C-1 C-2 C-x TAB as a shortcut for C-u 12 C-x TAB
(not for negative arguments).

"Specifications are for the weak and timid!"

* RE: How to indent several lines(one region) left?
@ 2006-01-24 14:42 Rancier, Jeff
From: Rancier, Jeff @ 2006-01-24 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

What about marking the region and use M-x indent-region?

Thanks,
-jbr

       [not found] <mailman.2357.1138114547.26925.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2006-01-24 16:05 ` FD
From: FD @ 2006-01-24 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

M--1 M-x indent rigidly
(Press ESC,then - and then 1
  and then ESC and then x and then type indent-rigidly )

> What about marking the region and use M-x indent-region?
select the region with your mouse
or select all with C-x h (equivalent to M-x mark-whole-buffer)
or select what you want with
mark-defun			   mark-end-of-sentence
mark-page			   mark-paragraph
mark-sexp			   mark-whole-buffer
mark-word

* Re: How to indent several lines(one region) left?
@ 2006-01-24 17:26   ` Hans-Christoph Wirth
From: Hans-Christoph Wirth @ 2006-01-24 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Pascal Bourguignon <spam@mouse-potato.com> wrote:

>  Also, on X, you can type: C-1 C-2 C-x TAB as a shortcut for C-u 12 C-x TAB
>  (not for negative arguments).
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

C-- C-1 C-2 C-x TAB works for me, and so does C-1 C-2 C-- C-x TAB and
even C-1 C-- C-2 C-x TAB.

* Re: How to indent several lines(one region) left?
@ 2006-01-24 20:49     ` Dieter Wilhelm
From: Dieter Wilhelm @ 2006-01-24 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans-Christoph Wirth <hcw@despammed.com> writes:

> Pascal Bourguignon <spam@mouse-potato.com> wrote:
>>
>>  Also, on X, you can type: C-1 C-2 C-x TAB as a shortcut for C-u 12 C-x TAB
>>  (not for negative arguments).
>     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> C-- C-1 C-2 C-x TAB works for me, and so does C-1 C-2 C-- C-x TAB and
> even C-1 C-- C-2 C-x TAB.

Well, it's a matter of familiarisation, I'm more used to M--12 C-x
TAB (Meaning constantly pressing the ALT key while typing '-' & '1' &
'2').  In fact I didn't even know that it works with CTRL as well! Great

--
Best wishes

     Dieter Wilhelm

* RE: How to indent several lines(one region) left?
@ 2006-01-25  2:52 ` Wu Kejia
From: Wu Kejia @ 2006-01-25  2:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

hi Rancier,

Thank you for your help. Mx indent-region still moves lines right, as to
some format. Is it really so obscure to indent text block revertedly for
emacs? Is there some emacs act like SHIFT + TAB in eclipse or visual
studio? BTW, how should I do to config the help-gnu-emacs newsgroup with
outlook express? Does it not use news protocol and every message I post
should to help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org?