all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* meta key problem C-M-\
@ 2005-10-22 12:56 Marcel Lautenbach
From: Marcel Lautenbach @ 2005-10-22 12:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello

hope you folks around this group may help me.
I ran into trouble trying this command:

C-M-\

emacs wont take CTL-ALT-AltGR-ß to get C-M-\

On German keyboards you have the ß. with shift you get ? and with ALT GR
yout get \. But trying the above command with all three together (CLT,
ALT and ALT GR) and the ß-key is interpreded als M-\ . But I have to use
the ALT GR key to get \ .

any idea how to get around this problem?

note: Yes, I know, I could uye M-x indent-region, But I would rather
like to use the short key combination.

Thankd in advance :-)

Marcel

* Re: meta key problem C-M-\
@ 2005-10-22 13:13 ` David Hansen
       [not found] ` <mailman.12225.1129986808.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: David Hansen @ 2005-10-22 13:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 14:56:52 +0200 Marcel Lautenbach wrote:

> On German keyboards [...]
>
> any idea how to get around this problem?

Get an US Keyboard :)

David

* Re: meta key problem C-M-\
@ 2005-10-22 13:13 ` Lennart Borgman
       [not found] ` <mailman.12225.1129986808.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2005-10-22 13:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Marcel Lautenbach wrote:

> Hello
>
> hope you folks around this group may help me.
> I ran into trouble trying this command:
>
> C-M-\
>
> emacs wont take CTL-ALT-AltGR-ß to get C-M-\
>
> On German keyboards you have the ß. with shift you get ? and with ALT
> GR yout get \. But trying the above command with all three together
> (CLT, ALT and ALT GR) and the ß-key is interpreded als M-\ . But I
> have to use the ALT GR key to get \ .
>
> any idea how to get around this problem?
>
> note: Yes, I know, I could uye M-x indent-region, But I would rather
> like to use the short key combination.
>
> Thankd in advance :-)
>
> Marcel

Did you see this page?

    http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/AltGrKey

* Re: meta key problem C-M-\
@ 2005-10-22 13:35   ` Marcel Lautenbach
From: Marcel Lautenbach @ 2005-10-22 13:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Hansen wrote:
> On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 14:56:52 +0200 Marcel Lautenbach wrote:
>

>>On German keyboards [...]
>>
>>any idea how to get around this problem?
>

> Get an US Keyboard :)
>
> David

Geeeeee. would you make me a present? :-)

* Re: meta key problem C-M-\
       [not found] ` <mailman.12225.1129986808.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2005-10-22 13:47   ` Marcel Lautenbach
From: Marcel Lautenbach @ 2005-10-22 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lennart Borgman wrote:
> Marcel Lautenbach wrote:
>
>> Hello
>>
>> hope you folks around this group may help me.
>> I ran into trouble trying this command:
>>
>> C-M-\
>>
>> emacs wont take CTL-ALT-AltGR-ß to get C-M-\
>>
>> On German keyboards you have the ß. with shift you get ? and with ALT
>> GR yout get \. But trying the above command with all three together
>> (CLT, ALT and ALT GR) and the ß-key is interpreded als M-\ . But I
>> have to use the ALT GR key to get \ .
>>
>> any idea how to get around this problem?
>>
>> note: Yes, I know, I could uye M-x indent-region, But I would rather
>> like to use the short key combination.
>>
>> Thankd in advance :-)
>>
>> Marcel
>

> Did you see this page?
>
>    http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/AltGrKey

uhm..right. the allmighty wiki.......well, I hope you can forgive an
emacs-newbie :-) thanks for the hint, now, it's gonna work though I need
to consult the doc every time I use the fingerbrreaking combination
*ouch*...

* Re: meta key problem C-M-\
@ 2005-10-22 20:26     ` Ilya Zakharevich
From: Ilya Zakharevich @ 2005-10-22 20:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Marcel Lautenbach
<marcel.lautenbach@t-online.de>], who wrote in article <djdfq5$ug2$04$1@news.t-online.com>:
> > Did you see this page?
> >
> >    http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/AltGrKey

> uhm..right. the allmighty wiki.......well, I hope you can forgive an
> emacs-newbie :-) thanks for the hint, now, it's gonna work though I need
> to consult the doc every time I use the fingerbrreaking combination
> *ouch*...

A decade ago I wrote "a universal solver" for such problems:
modifier.el.  A (possibly severely crippled) version is included in
Emacs.  In short, you can replace control- by using some prefix key.
I usually bind C-F12 to be a replacement for control- prefix (likewise
for other modifiers).

Hope this helps,
Ilya

* Re: meta key problem C-M-\
@ 2005-10-24 15:48       ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2005-10-24 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> uhm..right. the allmighty wiki.......well, I hope you can forgive an
>> emacs-newbie :-) thanks for the hint, now, it's gonna work though I need
>> to consult the doc every time I use the fingerbrreaking combination
>> *ouch*...

> A decade ago I wrote "a universal solver" for such problems:
> modifier.el.  A (possibly severely crippled) version is included in
> Emacs.  In short, you can replace control- by using some prefix key.
> I usually bind C-F12 to be a replacement for control- prefix (likewise
> for other modifiers).

I can't find your modifier.el but maybe it's been renamed/integrated and
has turned into the C-x @ thingy: C-x @ c is a prefix which adds a control
modifier to the next key.

So you can do C-x @ c M-\ in order to get to the C-M-\ binding.
Of course C-x @ c is not very convenient, so if you need to use it often,
you probably want to bind it to a shorter key sequence such as C-f12:

    (define-key function-key-map [C-f12] 'event-apply-control-modifier)

-- Stefan

* Re: meta key problem C-M-\
@ 2005-10-25  6:49         ` Ilya Zakharevich
From: Ilya Zakharevich @ 2005-10-25  6:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stefan Monnier
<monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>], who wrote in article <8764rmapgz.fsf-monnier+gnu.emacs.help@gnu.org>:
> > A decade ago I wrote "a universal solver" for such problems:
> > modifier.el.  A (possibly severely crippled) version is included in
> > Emacs.  In short, you can replace control- by using some prefix key.
> > I usually bind C-F12 to be a replacement for control- prefix (likewise
> > for other modifiers).

> I can't find your modifier.el

Actually, right now I repopulated ilyaz.org/software/emacs.  It should
be in "el" archive 2005-09.

> but maybe it's been renamed/integrated and
> has turned into the C-x @ thingy: C-x @ c is a prefix which adds a control
> modifier to the next key.

Right.  RMS rewrote it some way; since I did not use his version, I
did not know for a year or more that his version was severely broken
(e.g., it did not work with terminal keyboard sequences like F1).  It
was discussed here on g.e.h...  Maybe it works better now,
checking...  No, it is still borken with 21.2...

Hope this helps,
Ilya

* Re: meta key problem C-M-\
@ 2005-10-25  7:42           ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2005-10-25  7:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> I can't find your modifier.el
> Actually, right now I repopulated ilyaz.org/software/emacs.  It should
> be in "el" archive 2005-09.

Yes, I found it there, but I was talking about finding it in Emacs.

> Right.  RMS rewrote it some way; since I did not use his version, I
> did not know for a year or more that his version was severely broken
> (e.g., it did not work with terminal keyboard sequences like F1).  It
> was discussed here on g.e.h...  Maybe it works better now,
> checking...  No, it is still borken with 21.2...

I haven't tried your code yet, but looking at it I'm wondering: how do you
type in H-C-x (assuming you don't have a Hyper modifier on your keyboard)?

IIUC after you hit C-x ESC h, the call to read-key-sequence will not let you
hit just C-x (because it's a prefix key).

OTOH Emacs's version doesn't allow you to cumulate the sticky modifiers, as
in C-x @ c C-x @ m \ which IIUC your version allows.

* Re: meta key problem C-M-\
@ 2005-10-25 12:48         ` Hans-Christoph Wirth
From: Hans-Christoph Wirth @ 2005-10-25 12:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:

>  So you can do C-x @ c M-\ in order to get to the C-M-\ binding.

Sounds like you could directly use M-x indent-region RET in this case :-)

* Re: meta key problem C-M-\
@ 2005-10-26  3:23             ` Ilya Zakharevich
       [not found]               ` <mailman.12748.1130318802.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Ilya Zakharevich @ 2005-10-26  3:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stefan Monnier
<monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>], who wrote in article <87irvmgiot.fsf-monnier+gnu.emacs.help@gnu.org>:
> I haven't tried your code yet, but looking at it I'm wondering: how do you
> type in H-C-x (assuming you don't have a Hyper modifier on your keyboard)?

I would try something like
  hyperify controlify x

;-)

> IIUC after you hit C-x ESC h, the call to read-key-sequence will not let you
> hit just C-x (because it's a prefix key).

I think I missed this limitation.  It is not prohibits entering the
keys, of course...

Yours,
Ilya

* Re: meta key problem C-M-\
@ 2005-10-26  9:00               ` Joe Corneli
       [not found]               ` <mailman.12748.1130318802.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Joe Corneli @ 2005-10-26  9:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

   > I haven't tried your code yet, but looking at it I'm wondering: how do you
   > type in H-C-x (assuming you don't have a Hyper modifier on your keyboard)?

   I would try something like
     hyperify controlify x

My preferred method is to add a hyper modifier using Xmodmap then
start over.  Otherwise there's `event-apply-hyper-modifier'.

* Re: meta key problem C-M-\
@ 2005-10-26 11:10             ` Ilya Zakharevich
From: Ilya Zakharevich @ 2005-10-26 11:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stefan Monnier
<monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>], who wrote in article <87irvmgiot.fsf-monnier+gnu.emacs.help@gnu.org>:

> I haven't tried your code yet, but looking at it I'm wondering: how do you
> type in H-C-x (assuming you don't have a Hyper modifier on your keyboard)?

Actually, I was updating my key bindings for less, mutt and trn
anyway, so I took a look into modifier.el again.  It was hopelessly
obsolete; I updated it to use "new" facilities of Emacs.

  ilyaz.org/software/emacs

In particular, to address your problem, the "docs" say:

;;; One hint: if you need to enter a character which is a prefix character,
;;; you can press C-g after it.  E.g., to get M-C-x one can do either
;;; C-x Esc m C-x C-g or C-x Esc c Esc x (or even C-x Esc c C-x Esc m x).

Thanks for pointing my attention to modifier.el again,
Ilya

* Re: meta key problem C-M-\
       [not found]               ` <mailman.12748.1130318802.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2005-11-01  3:44                 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2005-11-01  3:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> I haven't tried your code yet, but looking at it I'm wondering: how do you
>> type in H-C-x (assuming you don't have a Hyper modifier on your keyboard)?

>    I would try something like
>      hyperify controlify x

> My preferred method is to add a hyper modifier using Xmodmap then
> start over.

xmodmap doesn't do you much good in a tty.

> Otherwise there's `event-apply-hyper-modifier'.

Which, as Ilya mentioned, doesn't allow you to construct H-f2 on a tty,
because C-x @ h will read the next untranslated event (i.e. the ESC char
which begins the escape sequence for the F2 key) so you'll get H-ESC rather
than H-f2.

* Re: meta key problem C-M-\
@ 2005-11-01 21:03                   ` Ilya Zakharevich
From: Ilya Zakharevich @ 2005-11-01 21:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stefan Monnier
<monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>], who wrote in article <87y8492fvm.fsf-monnier+gnu.emacs.help@gnu.org>:
> > Otherwise there's `event-apply-hyper-modifier'.
>
> Which, as Ilya mentioned, doesn't allow you to construct H-f2 on a tty,
> because C-x @ h will read the next untranslated event (i.e. the ESC char
> which begins the escape sequence for the F2 key) so you'll get H-ESC rather
> than H-f2.

I put an updated modifier.el on

  ilyaz.org/software/emacs

But I found one place where Emacs' one is better: mine applies control
to non-alpha characters wrongly: control-" becomes B or some such...

Yours,
Ilya