all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Autoloading failed to define function debug
@ 2005-05-07 22:21 Tim Johnson
From: Tim Johnson @ 2005-05-07 22:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Using emacs 21.2.1 on Red Hat 9.0. Am more familiar with
Xemacs.

Problem: I'm using a directory called ~/elisp,
with load-path evaluated in .emacs as follows:
(setq load-path (cons "~/elisp" load-path))

With the command above evaluated, and an error occurs, I get
the following message from GNU Emacs:
"Autoloading failed to define function debug"

I don't encounter this problem if that particular 'cons is
disabled. Other 'cons'es of 'load-path don't appear to cause
this problem.

What's more, as I experiment by commenting out the command in
my .emacs and then evaluating "manualy" in "*scratch*", debug
appears to work.

Any ideas? Where do I start looking?

--
Tim Johnson <tim@johnsons-web.com>

* Re: Autoloading failed to define function debug
@ 2005-05-07 23:04 ` Johan Bockgård
From: Johan Bockgård @ 2005-05-07 23:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tim Johnson <tim@johnsons-web.com> writes:

> Problem: I'm using a directory called ~/elisp, with load-path
> evaluated in .emacs as follows: (setq load-path (cons "~/elisp"
> load-path))
>
> With the command above evaluated, and an error occurs, I get the
> following message from GNU Emacs: "Autoloading failed to define
> function debug"

Looks like you have a file in ~/elisp called debug.el or debug.elc.

(M-x list-load-path-shadows)

--
Johan Bockgård

* Re: Autoloading failed to define function debug
@ 2005-05-08 12:00   ` Tim Johnson
From: Tim Johnson @ 2005-05-08 12:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello:
On 2005-05-07, Johan Bockgård <bojohan+news@dd.chalmers.se> wrote:

>> Problem: I'm using a directory called ~/elisp, with load-path
>> evaluated in .emacs as follows: (setq load-path (cons "~/elisp"
>> load-path))
>>
>> With the command above evaluated, and an error occurs, I get the
>> following message from GNU Emacs: "Autoloading failed to define
>> function debug"
>
> Looks like you have a file in ~/elisp called debug.el or debug.elc.

 Aha! You are correct.

> (M-x list-load-path-shadows)

  *What a powerful feature*
  Thanks very much.