all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* C-xC-b creates ~/.saves-[0-9]*-localhost.localdomain - how to turn it off?
@ 2005-05-02 20:42 s. keeling
       [not found] ` <mailman.3840.1115440472.2819.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: s. keeling @ 2005-05-02 20:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've finally figured out what's creating these things, and now I'd
like to learn what I have to do to make emacs stop creating them.  I
already have all the anti-backup commands I can think of in my
~/.emacs (eg.):

   (setq make-backup-files nil)

but I must be missing something.  Any ideas anyone?  What else is
there?  Thanks.

(*)           http://www.spots.ab.ca/~keeling   Linux Counter #80292
- -           http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1855.txt
    Spammers! http://www.spots.ab.ca/~keeling/autospam.html

* Re: C-xC-b creates ~/.saves-[0-9]*-localhost.localdomain - how to turn it off?
@ 2005-05-07  4:30 ` Ian Zimmerman
       [not found] ` <mailman.3840.1115440472.2819.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Ian Zimmerman @ 2005-05-07  4:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

s> I've finally figured out what's creating these things, and now I'd
s> like to learn what I have to do to make emacs stop creating them.  I
s> already have all the anti-backup commands I can think of in my
s> ~/.emacs (eg.):

s>    (setq make-backup-files nil)

s> but I must be missing something.  Any ideas anyone?  What else is
s> there?  Thanks.

Those are not backup files, but auto-save files (actually lists of
auto-save files).  Does that help to solve the problem?

I think they should normally be deleted once you exit emacs.  Do you
exit in some unusual way, like breaking your telnet/ssh session
without shutting down Emacs?

--
Optimist: We're only two weeks behind schedule.
Pessimist: The schedule is a whole two weeks ahead of us.

@ 2005-05-07 16:55   ` s. keeling
From: s. keeling @ 2005-05-07 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ian Zimmerman <itz@buug.org>:

>  s> I've finally figured out what's creating these things, and now I'd
>  s> like to learn what I have to do to make emacs stop creating them.  I
>
>  Those are not backup files, but auto-save files (actually lists of
>  auto-save files).  Does that help to solve the problem?
>
>  I think they should normally be deleted once you exit emacs.  Do you
>  exit in some unusual way, like breaking your telnet/ssh session
>  without shutting down Emacs?

Uhh, yeah.  Drat.  Logging out of X, as long as my buffers are saved, I
don't bother shutting down emacs.  Thanks, I'll try that.