all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Scrolling screen one line
@ 2003-01-03 10:52 Timur Aydin
From: Timur Aydin @ 2003-01-03 10:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

How can I scroll the screen up and down by one line? The arrow keys
only work when the point is at the bottom or at the top of the
screen...

--
Timur Aydin

* Re: Scrolling screen one line
@ 2003-01-03 11:37 ` Matthias Meulien
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Matthias Meulien @ 2003-01-03 11:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Timur Aydin <timuraydin@superonline.com> wrote:

> How can I scroll the screen up and down by one line?
> (...)

After `C-h a scroll RET' I found in the *Apropos* buffer:

,----
| scroll-up		      <next>, C-v
| Command: Scroll text of current window upward ARG lines;
| or near full screen if no ARG.
`----

The documentation of this command says:

,----[ C-h f scroll-up RET ]
| scroll-up is an interactive built-in function.
| (scroll-up &optional ARG)
|
| Scroll text of current window upward ARG lines;
| or near full screen if no ARG.
| A near full screen is `next-screen-context-lines' less than a full screen.
| Negative ARG means scroll downward.
| If ARG is the atom `-', scroll downward by nearly full screen.
| When calling from a program, supply as argument a number, nil, or `-'.
`----

So `M-1 C-v' will scroll the text of current window upward one line.

Exercise. Find two different key sequences to scroll the text backward
one line.

Bye.
--
Matthias

* Re: Scrolling screen one line
@ 2003-01-03 21:29 ` Martin Fischer
From: Martin Fischer @ 2003-01-03 21:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

hi,

i use

(global-set-key (quote [C-kp-2]) 'edt-scroll-window-backward-line)
(global-set-key (quote [C-kp-8]) 'edt-scroll-window-forward-line)

martin

@ 2003-01-03 22:08 ` Ekkehard Goerlach
From: Ekkehard Goerlach @ 2003-01-03 22:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have

(global-set-key [M-up]
  (lambda() (interactive) (scroll-down 1) (previous-line 1)))
(global-set-key [M-down]
  (lambda() (interactive) (scroll-up 1) (next-line 1)))
(global-set-key [S-up]
  (lambda() (interactive) (scroll-up 1)))
(global-set-key [S-down]
  (lambda() (interactive) (scroll-down 1)))

The M- commands leave the cursor where it is and only scroll the text
of the buffer, the S- commands scroll text and cursor.

Ekkehard

--
Ekkehard Görlach                    Tumringerstrasse 287
e.goerlach@computer.org             D-79539 Lörrach

* Re: Scrolling screen one line
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2003-01-04  9:40 ` Rikard Bosnjakovic
From: Rikard Bosnjakovic @ 2003-01-04  9:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

> The arrow keys
> only work when the point is at the bottom or at the top of the
> screen...

Which leads to this question, for Emacs 21.x: If one press C-v/M-v,
the screen scrolls either down or up. Fine. But when scrolling down,
the cursor places itself on the top line of my buffer, and when
scrolling up, the cursor places itself on the bottom line on the
buffer.

In Emacs 20.x (and all other Emacses I've used so far) use the, IMHO,
correct behaviour: When scrolling up, the cursor is put on the top
line, and vice versa.

I've read around for anything that contains "*scroll*" but I have been
unable to solve this problem.

Ideas?

--
Friendly,