all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Emacs and C++
@ 2002-12-28 17:47 sdieselil
From: sdieselil @ 2002-12-28 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello to everyone!
I'm new in Emacs and I use it mostly for C++ coding. Here are some
questions:

1. Is there a project manger for Emacs which can organize files into
tree (with "sources", "headers" subtrees) and allow to open all files
in project with only one command.

2. Almost all commercial IDE have a feature called "tagging". For
example, when cursor is on function's prototype I can easily jump to
function's definition with only one command. And I can bring a menu of all
functions and classes in my source files and quickly jump to any of
them. Is there such feature for Emacs?

3. How can I run my console program in Emacs console instead of
default terminal emulator (such as xterm)?

4. How can force Emacs to automatically save current session and open it on
next start?

5. Is there font-lock mode designed especially for C++ (the default one
isn't powerful enough) ?

6. How can indent using spaces (4 spaces in one tab) but when I press
Backspace after indenting it will erase 4 spaces (as if I inserted tab
character) ?

7. Is there "symbol auto-completion" for Emacs?

And here are some questions about editing simple text:

8. What spell-checkers does Emacs support?

9. How can I set small left margin in Emacs editing window thus making text
start not from the edge of screen but some millimeters from it?

Thanks for your answers!

* Re: Emacs and C++
@ 2002-12-28 18:14 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-12-28 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Please don't post the same stuff twice.  Instead, just enter

    first.group,second.group

into the Newsgroups header.  (Separated with comma and no space.)

I already answered in another group, comp.emacs I think.
--
Ambibibentists unite!

* Re: Emacs and C++
@ 2002-12-29 22:06 ` Andrew Markebo
From: Andrew Markebo @ 2002-12-29 22:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello!

Welcome to us, hmm I think I would recommend you to grab someone who
have worked with emacs and let him sit and show you.. :-) (BTW Which
platforms are you working on?)

| 1. Is there a project manger for Emacs which can organize files into
| tree (with "sources", "headers" subtrees) and allow to open all files
| in project with only one command.

Hmm check the emacs info-files about "Saving Emacs Sessions", might be
interesting, haven't used it therefore I only can point your nose in
that direction.

| 2. Almost all commercial IDE have a feature called "tagging". For
| example, when cursor is on function's prototype I can easily jump to
[...]

Yep, you should have some program called ctags around, coming with
emacs, it will create a database that emacs uses when doing the
command find-tag, M-.

| 3. How can I run my console program in Emacs console instead of
| default terminal emulator (such as xterm)?

Emacs console? Default terminal emulator?? Please explain more.

| 4. How can force Emacs to automatically save current session and open it on
| next start?

C-x C-S.. or? Hmm open next start, maybe emacs sessions above can help
you.

| 5. Is there font-lock mode designed especially for C++ (the default one
| isn't powerful enough) ?

Which C++-mode do you use, what isn't powerful enough? Missing some
color or?

| 6. How can indent using spaces (4 spaces in one tab) but when I press
| Backspace after indenting it will erase 4 spaces (as if I inserted tab
| character) ?

Config cc-mode, check the docs.

| 7. Is there "symbol auto-completion" for Emacs?

Yes there are some smart, haven't used them, I am using the dumb one,
M-/.

| And here are some questions about editing simple text:
>
| 8. What spell-checkers does Emacs support?

I have mainly seen ispell, do a google for spell-checker and emacs :-)

| 9. How can I set small left margin in Emacs editing window thus making text
| start not from the edge of screen but some millimeters from it?

Are you running in text-mode? Or Graphics-mode?

    /Andy

--
 The eye of the beholder rests on the beauty!

* Re: Emacs and C++
@ 2002-12-30  3:31 ` Rikard Bosnjakovic
From: Rikard Bosnjakovic @ 2002-12-30  3:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

>2. Almost all commercial IDE have a feature called "tagging". For
[...]
>them. Is there such feature for Emacs?

Yes. Have a look at ctags or etags (I don't remember which does what,
or when).

>3. How can I run my console program in Emacs console instead of
>default terminal emulator (such as xterm)?

I'm not entirely sure what you mean, but try any of these:

M-x term RET
M-x shell RET

>6. How can indent using spaces (4 spaces in one tab) but when I press
>Backspace after indenting it will erase 4 spaces (as if I inserted tab
>character) ?

Hm. Not sure on that one. As soon as you press tab, you could undo
(C-_ or C-x u) to remove the "tab", but it will only work immediately
after you type it.

>9. How can I set small left margin in Emacs editing window thus making text
>start not from the edge of screen but some millimeters from it?

That depends on your Emacs-version. In GNU Emacs 21.x, I think this
feature is called a "fringe", but I am not 100% sure about that.

--
Friendly,

Rikard