all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* emacs won't forget file state as saved by desktop.el
@ 2002-12-29  5:53 Faheem Mitha
From: Faheem Mitha @ 2002-12-29  5:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear People,

I have a relatively minor but incredibly irritating problem.

I tried enabling desktop.el. It saves the configuration of the files
to .emacs.desktop. In particular it set in .emacs.desktop (for some
reason I'm not sure of) a file called reject1.tex to come up in
fundamental mode and also come up with whizzytex (which I also
installed) enabled. I disabled desktop.el in my .emacs files and
deleted .emacs.desktop and thought that would be the end of the
matter. But unfortunately not. Whenever I open up reject1.tex I get it
in fundamental mode and with whizzytex enabled (so that advi pops
up). It is really starting to annoy me. I can get rid of this
behaviour by removing whizzytex, but it comes back when I reinstall.

I assume there is some config information sitting on my hard drive
that is causing this, either from desktop.el or from whizzytex. No
other latex files behave this way. Ideas?

                                               Faheem.

* Re: emacs won't forget file state as saved by desktop.el
@ 2002-12-29 11:39 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-12-29 11:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Faheem Mitha <faheem@email.unc.edu> writes:

> I disabled desktop.el in my .emacs files and deleted .emacs.desktop
> and thought that would be the end of the matter. But unfortunately
> not. Whenever I open up reject1.tex I get it in fundamental mode and
> with whizzytex enabled (so that advi pops up).

Does the string "-*-" (sans quotes) occur in the first line of the
file?  Do the strings "Local Variables" and "End" (both sans quotes)
occur near the end of the file?

If either, read the section on file variables in the Emacs
documentation.
--
Ambibibentists unite!

* Re: emacs won't forget file state as saved by desktop.el
@ 2002-12-29 16:54   ` Faheem Mitha
From: Faheem Mitha @ 2002-12-29 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 29 Dec 2002 12:39:28 +0100, Kai Großjohann
<kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de> wrote:
> Faheem Mitha <faheem@email.unc.edu> writes:
>
>> I disabled desktop.el in my .emacs files and deleted .emacs.desktop
>> and thought that would be the end of the matter. But unfortunately
>> not. Whenever I open up reject1.tex I get it in fundamental mode and
>> with whizzytex enabled (so that advi pops up).
>
> Does the string "-*-" (sans quotes) occur in the first line of the
> file?  Do the strings "Local Variables" and "End" (both sans quotes)
> occur near the end of the file?
>
> If either, read the section on file variables in the Emacs
> documentation.

Thanks for replying. It seems that the behaviour of whizzytex has
changed in the most recent upload (I'm tracking Debian testing) and it
is now enabled on every latex file by default and interferes with
auctex etc., but I didn't realise it. I generally use multifile
documents, and whizzytex dies on those, so I didn't realise anything
had changed. Sorry for bothering the group. I guess I'd better file a
bug report. (Sigh).

                                                       Faheem.