all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* tramp: password prompt
@ 2002-09-19 23:15 Michael P. Soulier
From: Michael P. Soulier @ 2002-09-19 23:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Hey people.

    I'm having some problems with tramp. If I'm using ssh-agent to supply the
passcode on the key, I have no problems since there's no password prompt.
However, the way I'm using it, I typically get prompted for the passcode on
the key I've installed on the remote server:

ie.

[msoulier@tigger msoulier]$ ssh rabbit
Enter passphrase for RSA key '/home/msoulier/.ssh/identity':

    Tramp does not prompt me when this prompt comes up, it just times out.
Also, I often get prompted twice when I am at work, once for the passcode,
once for the remote user password.

    Is there a way to configure tramp to pick up these prompts and permit me
to respond?

    Thanks,
    Mike

--
Michael P. Soulier <msoulier@storm.ca>, GnuPG pub key: 5BC8BE08
of nerd-like effort."  -Harley Hahn, A Student's Guide to Unix

* Re: tramp: password prompt
@ 2002-09-20 13:47 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-09-20 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Michael P. Soulier" <msoulier@storm.ca._nospam> writes:

> [msoulier@tigger msoulier]$ ssh rabbit
> Enter passphrase for RSA key '/home/msoulier/.ssh/identity':
>
>     Tramp does not prompt me when this prompt comes up, it just times out.
> Also, I often get prompted twice when I am at work, once for the passcode,
> once for the remote user password.
>
>     Is there a way to configure tramp to pick up these prompts and permit me
> to respond?

Hm.  Recent versions of Tramp have a regular expression
tramp-password-prompt-regexp.  It seems that the default value should
work, but you never know...  Does it work to frob that variable?
(After installing a recent Tramp.)

kai
--
~/.signature is: umop 3p!sdn    (Frank Nobis)

* Re: tramp: password prompt
@ 2002-09-22 19:11   ` Clemens Fischer
From: Clemens Fischer @ 2002-09-22 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

> "Michael P. Soulier" <msoulier@storm.ca._nospam> writes:
>
>> [msoulier@tigger msoulier]$ ssh rabbit
>> Enter passphrase for RSA key '/home/msoulier/.ssh/identity':
>>
>>     Tramp does not prompt me when this prompt comes up, it just times out.
>> Also, I often get prompted twice when I am at work, once for the passcode,
>> once for the remote user password.
>
> Hm.  Recent versions of Tramp have a regular expression
> tramp-password-prompt-regexp.  It seems that the default value should
> work, but you never know...  Does it work to frob that variable?

the situation changes, of course, if the users identity is rejected by
the remote sshd, eg. because he tries to enter from a root account.
although i don't see a specific reason to do so, sshd can be
configured to reject anybody beeing root at home.

clemens

* Re: tramp: password prompt
@ 2002-09-23 13:10     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-09-23 13:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Clemens Fischer <ino@despammed.com> writes:

> Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai Grojohann) writes:
>
>> "Michael P. Soulier" <msoulier@storm.ca._nospam> writes:
>>
>>> [msoulier@tigger msoulier]$ ssh rabbit
>>> Enter passphrase for RSA key '/home/msoulier/.ssh/identity':
>>>
>>>     Tramp does not prompt me when this prompt comes up, it just times out.
>>> Also, I often get prompted twice when I am at work, once for the passcode,
>>> once for the remote user password.
>>
>> Hm.  Recent versions of Tramp have a regular expression
>> tramp-password-prompt-regexp.  It seems that the default value should
>> work, but you never know...  Does it work to frob that variable?
>
> the situation changes, of course, if the users identity is rejected by
> the remote sshd, eg. because he tries to enter from a root account.
> although i don't see a specific reason to do so, sshd can be
> configured to reject anybody beeing root at home.

??

Can you expand on this?  I don't understand what you're trying to
say.

kai
--

@ 2002-09-23 13:11 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-09-23 13:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Michael P. Soulier" <msoulier@storm.ca._nospam> writes:

>     I'm having some problems with tramp. If I'm using ssh-agent to supply the
> passcode on the key, I have no problems since there's no password prompt.
> However, the way I'm using it, I typically get prompted for the passcode on
> the key I've installed on the remote server:
>
> ie.
>
> [msoulier@tigger msoulier]$ ssh rabbit
> Enter passphrase for RSA key '/home/msoulier/.ssh/identity':
>
>     Tramp does not prompt me when this prompt comes up, it just times out.

If you try to use Tramp, do you then see that prompt in the
*tramp/foo* buffer after it times out?

> Also, I often get prompted twice when I am at work, once for the passcode,
> once for the remote user password.

What's your local system?  Some people, especially using plink on
Windows, need to set the variable tramp-password-end-of-line to
"\r\n".

kai
--

@ 2002-09-23 14:52   ` Michael P. Soulier
From: Michael P. Soulier @ 2002-09-23 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 23 Sep 2002 15:11:40 +0200, Kai   Großjohann
<grossjoh@ls6.informatik.uni-dortmund.de> wrote:

> If you try to use Tramp, do you then see that prompt in the
> *tramp/foo* buffer after it times out?

    The second prompt is. Tramp picks up the first prompt and lets me respond
to it, but not the second one.

C-x C-f /[sm/msoulier@rabbit.homelinux.org]/home/msoulier
    ... it prompts me for the passcode on my key ...
    ... I respond, and the server sends the following prompt ...
msoulier@rabbit.homelinux.org's password:
    ... this is not picked up by tramp, so the session times out...

    ... this is left in the buffer...
msoulier@rabbit.homelinux.org's password:
Process *tramp/sm msoulier@rabbit.homelinux.org* killed

> What's your local system?  Some people, especially using plink on
> Windows, need to set the variable tramp-password-end-of-line to
> "\r\n".

    All Linux boxen involved.

    Mike

--

@ 2002-09-23 15:41     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-09-23 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Michael P. Soulier" <msoulier@storm.ca._nospam> writes:

>     The second prompt is. Tramp picks up the first prompt and lets me respond
> to it, but not the second one.
>
> C-x C-f /[sm/msoulier@rabbit.homelinux.org]/home/msoulier
>     ... it prompts me for the passcode on my key ...
>     ... I respond, and the server sends the following prompt ...
> msoulier@rabbit.homelinux.org's password:
>     ... this is not picked up by tramp, so the session times out...
>
>     ... this is left in the buffer...
> msoulier@rabbit.homelinux.org's password:
> Process *tramp/sm msoulier@rabbit.homelinux.org* killed

Aha!  Maybe you are running an old version of Tramp?  Do you have a
variable tramp-actions-before-shell?  If no, please update Tramp.
Old versions of Tramp were not able to deal with two prompts.

The current version of 2.0.21 or 2.0.22, see the variable
tramp-version.  Dunno what version does the XEmacs package have.

kai
--

@ 2002-09-23 22:30       ` Michael P. Soulier
From: Michael P. Soulier @ 2002-09-23 22:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 23 Sep 2002 17:41:26 +0200, Kai   Großjohann
<grossjoh@ls6.informatik.uni-dortmund.de> wrote:

> Aha!  Maybe you are running an old version of Tramp?  Do you have a
> variable tramp-actions-before-shell?  If no, please update Tramp.
> Old versions of Tramp were not able to deal with two prompts.
>
> The current version of 2.0.21 or 2.0.22, see the variable
> tramp-version.  Dunno what version does the XEmacs package have.

tramp-version's value is
"$Id: tramp.el,v 2.95 2002/04/10 17:16:25 kaig Exp $"

    I'm not sure if that's an old version or not. I just downloaded it
recently from sourceforge.

    There was no variable tramp-actions-before-shell.

    Mike

--

@ 2002-09-24  8:33         ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-09-24  8:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Michael P. Soulier" <msoulier@storm.ca._nospam> writes:

>     I'm not sure if that's an old version or not. I just downloaded it
> recently from sourceforge.

Tramp has moved from SourceForge to Savannah
(http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/tramp), and there you can find a
more recent version.  Please try that.

kai
--

@ 2002-09-24 12:10           ` Michael P. Soulier
From: Michael P. Soulier @ 2002-09-24 12:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 24 Sep 2002 10:33:36 +0200, Kai   Großjohann
<grossjoh@ls6.informatik.uni-dortmund.de> wrote:

> Tramp has moved from SourceForge to Savannah
> (http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/tramp), and there you can find a
> more recent version.  Please try that.

    Ok, I just installed tramp-2.0.22. Did the invocation method change? I've
loaded it, but the syntax to invoke it is failing (ie. tramp isn't
intercepting the file-find).

/[sm/remotehost]/home/msoulier

    It's just doing a normal file-find, even after successfully loading tramp.

    Mike

--

@ 2002-09-24 15:25             ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-09-24 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Michael P. Soulier" <msoulier@storm.ca._nospam> writes:

>     Ok, I just installed tramp-2.0.22. Did the invocation method change?

Yes, on Emacs the filename syntax is now /method:user@host:filename
for compatibility with Ange-FTP.

kai
--

@ 2002-09-29 19:06       ` Clemens Fischer
From: Clemens Fischer @ 2002-09-29 19:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

grossjoh@ls6.informatik.uni-dortmund.de (Kai Großjohann) writes:

> Clemens Fischer <ino@despammed.com> writes:
>
>> the situation changes, of course, if the users identity is rejected by
>> the remote sshd, eg. because he tries to enter from a root account.
>> although i don't see a specific reason to do so, sshd can be
>> configured to reject anybody beeing root at home.
>
> Can you expand on this?  I don't understand what you're trying to
> say.

well, i thought the OP might have tried to access an account without
switching to a "normal" user under unix.  if the remote sshd is so
configured, it silently rejects people if the accessor is root.  you
wouldn't notice that, only very recent sshd daemons expand on their
reasons.  version 1.5 ssh installations often allow anybody in,
whereas version 2's are more picky.  this is arguably to prevent later
escalation of priviledges, and might be due to the blessings of
getpeereud(2).

clemens

* Re: tramp: password prompt
@ 2002-09-29 20:29         ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-09-29 20:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Clemens Fischer <ino@despammed.com> writes:

> well, i thought the OP might have tried to access an account without
> switching to a "normal" user under unix.  if the remote sshd is so
> configured, it silently rejects people if the accessor is root.

Interesting.  I've always used "ssh jrl@host" as root and expected
that to work...  Now I know where it might fail.

kai