all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Using skeletons: how to avoid adding newline?
@ 2003-04-13  6:43 Karl Eichwalder
From: Karl Eichwalder @ 2003-04-13  6:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm trying to accomplish something very basic: "link" should become
[[link]]; this code snippet works but I'd like to avoid the newline
after "]]":

(define-skeleton ke-wp-make-link
  "Create [[wikipedia link]]."
  nil
  "[[" _ "]]")

(global-set-key "\C-c[" 'ke-wp-make-link)

This is what I do:

1. Enter ("-!-" [[marks]]
the point):

    Create -!-link here

2. Press "C-SPC" and "M-f" to mark a region:

    Create link-!- here

3. Press "C-c [" to add [[...]]:
   =>
    Create [[link]]
    -!- here

   But I want to see:

    Create [[link]]-!- here

--
ke@suse.de (work) / keichwa@gmx.net (home):              |
http://www.gnu.franken.de/ke/                            |      ,__o

* Re: Using skeletons: how to avoid adding newline?
@ 2003-04-13  9:18 ` Oliver Scholz
From: Oliver Scholz @ 2003-04-13  9:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Karl Eichwalder <keichwa@gmx.net> writes:

> I'm trying to accomplish something very basic: "link" should become
> [[link]]; this code snippet works but I'd like to avoid the newline
> after "]]":
>
> (define-skeleton ke-wp-make-link
>   "Create [[wikipedia link]]."
>   nil
>   "[[" _ "]]")

Looking at the code of skeleton.el ... this happens because
`skeleton-end-hook' is run after the insertion.

,----[ C-h v skeleton-end-hook RET ]
| [...]
|
| Hook called at end of skeleton but before going to point of interest.
| By default this moves out anything following to next line,
|   unless `skeleton-end-newline' is set to nil.
| The variables `v1' and `v2' are still set when calling this.
|
| Defined in `skeleton'.
|
| [back]
`----

Setting `skeleton-end-newline' to nil, does help indeed. But I have
no idea whether this causes trouble elsewhere. Perhaps it is best to
set it buffer locally?

    Oliver
--
24 Germinal an 211 de la Révolution
Liberté, Egalité, Fraternité!

* Re: Using skeletons: how to avoid adding newline?
@ 2003-04-13 15:15   ` Karl Eichwalder
From: Karl Eichwalder @ 2003-04-13 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Oliver Scholz <alkibiades@gmx.de> writes:

> Looking at the code of skeleton.el ... this happens because
> `skeleton-end-hook' is run after the insertion.

Thanks for the hint; this seems to do the trick:

(defun ke-wp-make-link ()
  "Create [[wikipedia link]]."
   (interactive "*")
   (let ((skeleton-end-newline nil))
     (if mark-active
	 (skeleton-insert '(nil
			    "[[" _ "]]")
			  -1)
       (skeleton-insert '(nil
			  "[[" _ "]]")))))

(global-set-key "\C-c[" 'ke-wp-make-link)

Maybe it's worth to add this information to
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?SkeletonMode

> Setting `skeleton-end-newline' to nil, does help indeed. But I have
> no idea whether this causes trouble elsewhere. Perhaps it is best to
> set it buffer locally?

Yes, this looks like a good idea.  Wondering why the default isn't
nil?

--

@ 2003-04-13 17:04     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2003-04-13 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> Setting `skeleton-end-newline' to nil, does help indeed. But I have
>> no idea whether this causes trouble elsewhere. Perhaps it is best to
>> set it buffer locally?
> Yes, this looks like a good idea.  Wondering why the default isn't
> nil?

I also wonder and wish I could change it.