all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* trailing whitespace visible on some buffers
@ 2002-09-14  9:45 Luis O. Silva
From: Luis O. Silva @ 2002-09-14  9:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear Emacs community,

This is an elementary question, but I haven't found the
solution of my problem.

I want to set the buffer-local variable
`show-trailing-whitespace' to `t' for all buffers except
for *info*, *diary*, *calendar*, and *mail presentation*. In
the emacs node of info I found how to set local variables to
different _modes_ using "hooks", but I don't know how to set
buffer-local variables to concrete buffers.

Thank you very much in advance,
luis

--
Luis Octavio Silva P.
St. Petersburg State University.

* Re: trailing whitespace visible on some buffers
       [not found] <mailman.1031996832.11463.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2002-09-14  9:57 ` Edward O'Connor
       [not found]   ` <mailman.1032006733.12614.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Edward O'Connor @ 2002-09-14  9:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

> This is an elementary question, but I haven't found the solution
> of my problem.
>
> I want to set the buffer-local variable
> `show-trailing-whitespace' to `t' for all buffers

(setq-default show-trailing-whitespace t)

> except for *info*, *diary*, *calendar*, and *mail presentation*.

(let ((hook (lambda () (setq show-trailing-whitespace nil))))
  (mapc (lambda (var)
          (add-hook var hook))
        '(info-mode-hook calendar-mode-hook diary-hook)))

Untested.

Sorry, I don't know what the *mail presentation* buffer is.

HTH

--
Edward O'Connor
ted@oconnor.cx

* Re: trailing whitespace visible on some buffers
@ 2002-09-14 12:46   ` Luis O. Silva
       [not found]   ` <mailman.1032006733.12614.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Luis O. Silva @ 2002-09-14 12:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Edward,

Thank you for your message (Sat, 14 Sep 2002 09:57:12 GMT), in
which, among other things, you wrote:

   >> This is an elementary question, but I haven't found the
   >> solution of my problem.
   >>
   >> I want to set the buffer-local variable
   >> `show-trailing-whitespace' to `t' for all buffers

   Edward> (setq-default show-trailing-whitespace t)

   >> except for *info*, *diary*, *calendar*, and *mail
   >> presentation*.

   Edward> (let ((hook (lambda () (setq
   Edward> show-trailing-whitespace nil)))) (mapc (lambda
   Edward> (var) (add-hook var hook)) '(info-mode-hook
   Edward> calendar-mode-hook diary-hook)))

   Edward> Untested.

Well, I've tested it and, unfortunately, it doesn't work for
me. I don't understand why it doesn't work, since your
suggestion seems to be appropriate (given my limited knowledge
of lisp).

   Edward> Sorry, I don't know what the *mail presentation*
   Edward> buffer is.

I mean the presentation of my mail folders in VM (View Mail).

   Edward> HTH

On the basis of your suggestion I made some tests without
success. I always have to do `M-x set variable RET
show-trailing-whitespace RET nil RET' once per buffer to do
the trick. May be there are other suggestions?

Thank you
luis

--

@ 2002-09-14 18:56     ` Karl Eichwalder
From: Karl Eichwalder @ 2002-09-14 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Luis O. Silva" <silva@paloma.spbu.ru> writes:

>    Edward> Untested.
>
> Well, I've tested it and, unfortunately, it doesn't work for
> me. I don't understand why it doesn't work, since your
> suggestion seems to be appropriate (given my limited knowledge
> of lisp).

E.g., it's "Info-mode-hook" (note the upper case letter).  I'm using
this simple code:

(add-hook 'Info-mode-hook
          (lambda ()
	    ;; (define-key Info-mode-map "=" 'delete-other-windows)
	    ;; (define-key Info-mode-map "1" 'delete-other-windows)
	    (setq show-trailing-whitespace nil)))

I didn't check the other mode hook names.

--
ke@suse.de (work) / keichwa@gmx.net (home):              |
http://www.suse.de/~ke/                                  |      ,__o

* Re: trailing whitespace visible on some buffers
@ 2002-09-15  9:55       ` Luis O. Silva
From: Luis O. Silva @ 2002-09-15  9:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Dear Karl,

Thank you for your message (Sat, 14 Sep 2002 20:56:23 +0200),
in which, among other things, you wrote:

   Karl> "Luis O. Silva" <silva@paloma.spbu.ru> writes:

   Edward> Untested.
   >>
   >> Well, I've tested it and, unfortunately, it doesn't work for
   >> me. I don't understand why it doesn't work, since your
   >> suggestion seems to be appropriate (given my limited knowledge
   >> of lisp).

   Karl> E.g., it's "Info-mode-hook" (note the upper case letter)...

Yes, after testing Edward's suggestion I found that the problem
was that I was using incorrect mode hook names.

   Karl> (add-hook 'Info-mode-hook
   Karl>           (lambda ()
   Karl> 	    ;; (define-key Info-mode-map "=" 'delete-other-windows)
   Karl> 	    ;; (define-key Info-mode-map "1" 'delete-other-windows)
   Karl> 	    (setq show-trailing-whitespace nil)))

Thanks to you I've solved my problem with *info* (thanks to
Edward I solved it for *diary*). It remains the
*calendar*. I've probed some mode hook names (including
calendar-load-hook) without success. Are there some
suggestions on this?

Thank you very much
luis

--

@ 2002-09-16 17:39 ` Michael J Downes
From: Michael J Downes @ 2002-09-16 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Luis O. Silva" <silva@paloma.spbu.ru> wrote:

> This is an elementary question, but I haven't found the
> solution of my problem.
>
> I want to set the buffer-local variable
> `show-trailing-whitespace' to `t' for all buffers except
> for *info*, *diary*, *calendar*, and *mail presentation*.

Did you consider writing a bug report to suggest that the superfluous
whitespace should be removed from all the info files that come in the Emacs
distribution (which would make a significant improvement, at least)?
I see it too but I did not [yet] manage to write a bug report about it.

* Re: trailing whitespace visible on some buffers
@ 2002-09-17  7:00   ` Luis O. Silva
From: Luis O. Silva @ 2002-09-17  7:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Dear Michael,

Thank you for your message (16 Sep 2002 10:39:51 -0700), in
which, among other things, you wrote[1]:

   Michael> Did you consider writing a bug report to suggest
   Michael> that the superfluous whitespace should be removed
   Michael> from all the info files that come in the Emacs
   Michael> distribution (which would make a significant
   Michael> improvement, at least)?

Yes, I've considered it. However I think that the bug isn't in
the Emacs info documents, but in info formating machine, since
what we see has been formatted with texinfo, hasn't it? After
formating there musn't be trailing whitespaces. Please correct
me if I'm wrong, I'm a complete ignorant, who wants to post
his first bug report to the correct address.

Thank you very much,
luis

Footnotes:
[1] The excerpts of your message are prefixed by "Michael>".