Eli Zaretskii writes: > Sure. Karl, where do I get the version you suggest to include? It was attached to my first mail. I'll attach it here again as po.el, plus this check: (file-exists-p (car (cdr arg-list))) I also attach file-4.1.5.hu.po; loading this Hungarian file will set the coding system to iso-8859-2/latin-2: emacs --no-site-file -q -l po.el file-4.1.5.hu.po Now you can edit and save the file. Starting with a non-existing file emacs will produce an error message when you will try to save it: emacs --no-site-file -q -l po.el not-there.hu.po Enter: # a comment line C-x C-s error--> and: Wrong type argument: stringp, 1 This used to work with Emacs 20. As I said: I don't understand `po-find-file-coding-system'; maybe it's worth to re-write it from scratch.