all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* GNU Emacs 21.2 and Open Motif 2.1.30.
@ 2002-08-26 11:41 Lute Kamstra
From: Lute Kamstra @ 2002-08-26 11:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear People,

I'm experiencing some problems with Emacs 21.2 built with Open Motif
2.1.30a (Fri May 5 04:07:08 BST 2000).

1. Dialog boxes.

   When I'm prompted for input by a dialog box, e.g. by choosing "File
   -> Open File" from the menu, clicking any of the buttons "OK",
   "Filter", or "Cancel" (after choosing a file) has no effect.  If I
   first move the window (frame) of the dialog box by dragging the
   windows title with the mouse, and subsequently press one of the
   buttons, they work as expected.

2. Menu toggling.

   When I was testing the current alpha version of RefTeX,
   downloadable via:

   http://zon.astro.uva.nl/~dominik/Tools/reftex/reftex-alpha.tar.gz,

   I noticed that I could not toggle menu entries defined with
   easymenu.  For example, the entry defined (in reftex.el) by:

   "TOC RECENTER"
   ["Automatic Recenter" reftex-toggle-auto-toc-recenter
    :style toggle :selected reftex-toc-auto-recenter-timer]

   Selecting the menu item does not result in the execution of
   `reftex-toggle-auto-toc-recenter'.  The appearance of the widget in
   front of the menu item does change, but this change does not
   reflect the actual value of `reftex-toc-auto-recenter-timer'.

   In contrast, the toggles in Emacs' standard "Options" menu do work
   correctly.

   It should be noted that this problem does not occur when I build
   Emacs with Lesstif or Lucid.

3. Lesstif vs. Motif.

   On my (Redhat 7.1) GNU/Linux system at work, both the Lesstif and
   the Open Motif 2.1.30 libraries are installed.  When I configure
   with "--with-x-toolkit=motif", the configuration script chooses
   Open Motif instead of Lesstif.  I'm a bit surprised by this.
   Firstly, because Open Motif is not free software while Lesstif is,
   and secondly, because Lesstif works better (at least for me).

My Emacs version is:

(emacs-version) => "GNU Emacs 21.2.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, Motif Version 2.1.30)
 of 2002-08-26 on occarina.pna.cwi.nl"
system-configuration-options  => " --prefix=/export/scratch1/lute/software --exec-prefix=/export/scratch1/lute/software --with-x-toolkit=motif --with-xpm --with-jpeg --with-tiff --with-gif --with-png --with-x"

I hope I described the problems clearly enough.  I'm not too familiar
with graphical toolkits.

Regards,

  Lute Kamstra.

--
Lute Kamstra  <Lute.Kamstra@cwi.nl>
CWI  department PNA4

* Re: GNU Emacs 21.2 and Open Motif 2.1.30.
@ 2002-08-26 13:28 ` Lute Kamstra
From: Lute Kamstra @ 2002-08-26 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lute Kamstra <Lute.Kamstra@cwi.nl> writes:

[...]

> 2. Menu toggling.
>
>    When I was testing the current alpha version of RefTeX,
>    downloadable via:
>
>    http://zon.astro.uva.nl/~dominik/Tools/reftex/reftex-alpha.tar.gz,
>
>    I noticed that I could not toggle menu entries defined with
>    easymenu.  For example, the entry defined (in reftex.el) by:
>
>    "TOC RECENTER"
>    ["Automatic Recenter" reftex-toggle-auto-toc-recenter
>     :style toggle :selected reftex-toc-auto-recenter-timer]
>
>    Selecting the menu item does not result in the execution of
>    `reftex-toggle-auto-toc-recenter'.  The appearance of the widget in
>    front of the menu item does change, but this change does not
>    reflect the actual value of `reftex-toc-auto-recenter-timer'.
>
>    In contrast, the toggles in Emacs' standard "Options" menu do work
>    correctly.
>
>    It should be noted that this problem does not occur when I build
>    Emacs with Lesstif or Lucid.

Minutes after I sent this bug report, Carsten released the alpha
version of RefTeX that I was referring to as RefTeX 4.19, to be found
at:

  http://zon.astro.uva.nl/~dominik/Tools/reftex/reftex.tar.gz

[...]

Regards,

  Lute.

--
Lute Kamstra  <Lute.Kamstra@cwi.nl>
CWI  department PNA4
[Echelon material: COSCO subversive passwd]