all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* letting super user read .emacs
@ 2003-10-01 16:09 Kevin Dziulko
From: Kevin Dziulko @ 2003-10-01 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello

Recently our unix system was changed such that all regular users are their
own groups also.  So user johndoe would be in group johndoe and
permissions on johndoe's home directory are drwxrwx---.  This was done for
security reasons.

My question is, is there any way the emacs will read in a .emacs that is
not located in one's home directory?

My problem is that when I use the su command to become another user, I am
forced to use the other user's .emacs instead of my own.  So I was
thinking about putting my .emacs in a directory that is readable to all
users.

Thanks for any suggestions!

* Re: letting super user read .emacs
       [not found] <mailman.970.1065058887.21628.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2003-10-02  5:40 ` Kin Cho
From: Kin Cho @ 2003-10-02  5:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

> My problem is that when I use the su command to become another
> user, I am forced to use the other user's .emacs instead of my
> own.

While su'ed as another user, use "emacs -u your-login".

-kin

* Re: letting super user read .emacs
@ 2003-10-02  6:08   ` Lute Kamstra
From: Lute Kamstra @ 2003-10-02  6:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kin Cho <kin@techie.com> writes:

>> My problem is that when I use the su command to become another
>> user, I am forced to use the other user's .emacs instead of my
>> own.
>
> While su'ed as another user, use "emacs -u your-login".

You may also have to do "chmod o+r .emacs".

  Lute.

--
(spook) => "Bosnia Centro bluebird"
(insert-file-contents "~/.signature") => (error "`~/.signature' too rude")

* Re: letting super user read .emacs
@ 2003-10-02  7:45     ` Puff Addison
From: Puff Addison @ 2003-10-02  7:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lute Kamstra wrote:

>Kin Cho <kin@techie.com> writes:
>

>>>My problem is that when I use the su command to become another
>>>user, I am forced to use the other user's .emacs instead of my
>>>own.
>>>

>>While su'ed as another user, use "emacs -u your-login".
>>

>You may also have to do "chmod o+r .emacs".
>
>  Lute.

You will probably also have to do "chmod o+x <home directory> "   for
this to work.

--
J. D. Addison
email puff@theaddisons.demon.co.uk

* Re: letting super user read .emacs
@ 2003-10-02 12:44       ` Kevin Dziulko
From: Kevin Dziulko @ 2003-10-02 12:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 2 Oct 2003, Puff Addison wrote:

> Lute Kamstra wrote:

> >>While su'ed as another user, use "emacs -u your-login".
> >>

> >You may also have to do "chmod o+r .emacs".
> >
> >  Lute.
> >

> You will probably also have to do "chmod o+x <home directory> "   for
> this to work.

Perhaps my original message wasn't clear enough. This is the problem. We
are not allowed to have any permissions for "others" on our home
directories.  Thank you for your replies, but they won't help me.  What I
was thinking was to put my .emacs in a directory outside of my home
directory (that way the directory can have any permits I want).

Thanks again.

* Re: letting super user read .emacs
       [not found] <mailman.1011.1065098708.21628.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2003-10-02 14:55 ` Barry Margolin
From: Barry Margolin @ 2003-10-02 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <mailman.1011.1065098708.21628.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>,
Kevin Dziulko  <dziulko@klaatu.canisius.edu> wrote:
>Perhaps my original message wasn't clear enough. This is the problem. We
>are not allowed to have any permissions for "others" on our home
>directories.

But they allow you to su to each other?  Seems schizophrenic that they're
so draconian about file permissions, while so lenient about su'ing.

>	       Thank you for your replies, but they won't help me.  What I
>was thinking was to put my .emacs in a directory outside of my home
>directory (that way the directory can have any permits I want).

emacs -q -l /path/to/other/.emacs

The -q option tells it not to try to load the default init file, and -l
option tells it to load that specific file.

--
Barry Margolin, barry.margolin@level3.com
Level(3), Woburn, MA