all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Control key vs arrow keys
@ 2002-09-05 20:32 gamaz
From: gamaz @ 2002-09-05 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

I was wondering what is the reason for the preferred use of the control key
as against keyboard's arrow key?

Any help is highly appreciate. Thanks.

* Re: Control key vs arrow keys
@ 2002-09-05 21:06 ` Lute Kamstra
From: Lute Kamstra @ 2002-09-05 21:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

"gamaz" <gamaz@earthlink.net> writes:

> I was wondering what is the reason for the preferred use of the
> control key as against keyboard's arrow key?

Do you mean the use of C-f to go one character forward?  I think it's
a relic of the time when keyboards did not have arrow keys.  Now, most
keyboards do and you can also go a character forward with the right
arrow key.  Quite a number of people still use the C-f variant since
the control and the f key are usually closer at hand.

Lute.

--
(spook) => "LLNL ASPIC White House"
(insert-file-contents "~/.signature") => (error "`~/.signature' too rude")

* Re: Control key vs arrow keys
@ 2002-09-06  2:22 ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2002-09-06  2:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

"gamaz" <gamaz@earthlink.net> writes:
> I was wondering what is the reason for the preferred use of the control key
> as against keyboard's arrow key?

For touch-typists, the control-key versions allow you to keep your hands
in the `home row' position.  This means that they're both faster and
easier to use, and interfere less with normal typing.

[personally, I use both -- the control-key versions usually, and
the arrow keys when I'm just browsing in gnus or something]

-Miles
--
97% of everything is grunge

* RE: Control key vs arrow keys
@ 2002-09-06  6:17 Dmitri.Minaev
From: Dmitri.Minaev @ 2002-09-06  6:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

One reason is telnet(ssh/rsh, etc) + crippled TERM that doesn't understand
some escape sequences.

--
With best regards,
Dmitri Minaev