all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* M-x indent-region
@ 2003-05-05  0:36 Sanford Selznick
From: Sanford Selznick @ 2003-05-05  0:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

In emacs, 'M-x indent-region' is the best indent I've ever seen.

How can I trigger this action from the command-line and have emacs
indent an individual file?

Thank you,
  Sanford

* Re: M-x indent-region
@ 2003-05-05  6:12 ` Kai Großjohann
       [not found] ` <mailman.5568.1052122245.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-05-05  6:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sanford Selznick <see-message@for.real.address.com> writes:

> In emacs, 'M-x indent-region' is the best indent I've ever seen.
>
> How can I trigger this action from the command-line and have emacs
> indent an individual file?

Maybe something like this.

emacs -batch --eval '(find-file "foo)' \
             --eval '(indent-region (point-min) (point-max))'
             -f save-buffer -f save-buffers-kill-emacs

But I haven't tested it.
--
file-error; Data: (Opening input file no such file or directory ~/.signature)

* Re: M-x indent-region
@ 2003-05-05  8:03 ` Alfred M. Szmidt
       [not found] ` <mailman.5568.1052122245.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Alfred M. Szmidt @ 2003-05-05  8:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

   In emacs, 'M-x indent-region' is the best indent I've ever seen.

   How can I trigger this action from the command-line and have emacs
   indent an individual file?

Whats wrong with just using GNU indent?  They should do the same
thing.

* Re: M-x indent-region
       [not found] ` <mailman.5568.1052122245.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2003-05-05 17:14   ` Sanford Selznick
From: Sanford Selznick @ 2003-05-05 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <mailman.5568.1052122245.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>,
 "Alfred M. Szmidt" <ams@kemisten.nu> wrote:
>    In emacs, 'M-x indent-region' is the best indent I've ever seen.
>
>    How can I trigger this action from the command-line and have emacs
>    indent an individual file?
>
> Whats wrong with just using GNU indent?  They should do the same
> thing.

Well, for starters, it doesn't indent C++.  ;-)  Beyond that, it's more
of a reformatter than a pure indenter, like emacs.  The emacs indent
doesn't change the line number of any given token... all it does is
change the indent of a given line.

Best,
  Sanford

* Re: M-x indent-region
@ 2003-05-05 18:49     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-05-05 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sanford Selznick <see-message@for.real.address.com> writes:

> Well, for starters, it doesn't indent C++.  ;-)  Beyond that, it's more
> of a reformatter than a pure indenter, like emacs.  The emacs indent
> doesn't change the line number of any given token... all it does is
> change the indent of a given line.

I'm sure you can tell GNU indent to abstain from adding or removing
newlines.  But then, I haven't used it.

--

@ 2003-05-05 22:38       ` Sanford Selznick
From: Sanford Selznick @ 2003-05-05 22:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <84k7d5kz3h.fsf@lucy.is.informatik.uni-duisburg.de>,
 kai.grossjohann@gmx.net (Kai Grossjohann) wrote:

> Sanford Selznick <see-message@for.real.address.com> writes:
>
> > Well, for starters, it doesn't indent C++.  ;-)  Beyond that, it's more
> > of a reformatter than a pure indenter, like emacs.  The emacs indent
> > doesn't change the line number of any given token... all it does is
> > change the indent of a given line.
>
> I'm sure you can tell GNU indent to abstain from adding or removing
> newlines.  But then, I haven't used it.

Then maybe you should try it and you'll know for sure.  ;-)

I got your previous suggestion is working.  Thank you!

Best,
  Sanford

* Re: M-x indent-region
@ 2003-05-06 16:45         ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-05-06 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sanford Selznick <see-message@for.real.address.com> writes:

> Then maybe you should try it and you'll know for sure.  ;-)

Yeah.  Maybe it helps to set a really long max line length, and to
tell it to honor existing newlines.

But so far I've still only read the documentation, not tested it.
It's not important enough for me...
--

@ 2003-05-07  3:47           ` Sanford Selznick
From: Sanford Selznick @ 2003-05-07  3:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <84el3cuiqd.fsf@lucy.is.informatik.uni-duisburg.de>,
 kai.grossjohann@gmx.net (Kai Grossjohann) wrote:
> Yeah.  Maybe it helps to set a really long max line length, and to
> tell it to honor existing newlines.
>
> But so far I've still only read the documentation, not tested it.
> It's not important enough for me...

Obviously.  ;-)

Here's how the final version ended up...

emacs -batch -eval '(find-file "~/test")' -eval '(c-mode)' -eval
'(indent-region (point-min) (point-max) nil)' -eval '(save-buffer)'
-eval '(kill-buffer (current-buffer))'

Where '~/test' is the file that will be wrapped in place, keeping all
tokens on the line they started on.  Note the '(c-mode)' in case the
file doesn't end in a c-program extension.  And note the third argument
on indent-region, which I'm not entirely sure is necessary or not.  But
it's working fine.

Thanks again for your help.

-Sanford