On Fri, Jun 11 2010, Jan Moringen wrote: > In the packaged NEWS file it says: > > version 0.4.4 (27-February-2007) It's not that old, I've got the latest one which is 0.4.5. > Maybe it's a bug in the notification daemon? It happened for every > notification I produced from Emacs on this machine. The notifications > also varied significantly. So in case of an error it wouldn't exactly be > a corner case which makes this possibility seem unlikely. Does it happend with the ones made from notify-send? Anyhow, nothing allows you to work-around the bug by putting reason &optional. Anybody can emit a wrong formatted signal on the dbus, even with dbus-send. Based on that, any D-Bus bad formatted signal/method call will raise an error. Bad that's like calling a Lisp function with requires 2 arguments with only 1. It raises an error because you call it badly. I don't see why we wouldn't do the thing even if the function is called via D-Bus. But yes if, you don't want to know about bugged implementation, you use &optional in every dbus signal/method function you will use (even outside notifications.el). -- Julien Danjou // ᐰ http://julien.danjou.info