all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* turning off automatic indentation
@ 2002-11-19  9:39 Howard E. Haber
From: Howard E. Haber @ 2002-11-19  9:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

In the EMACS FAQ, question 5.24  notes that in Emacs 20 and later, Emacs
automatically indents a new line to the indentation of the previous line.
(I am assuming that auto-fill-mode is turned on.)

I am trying to figure out how to turn this feature off in text-mode.  In
particular, when I am sending mail (using the emacs editor), if I write:

Dear Sir or Madam:
     It has come to my attention...

by the time I get to the second line of the letter, emacs automatically
aligns that line under the sentence ("It has come to my attention...").  I
would prefer to have the wordwrapping feature start the second line fully
left justified and not indented.

I am looking for some appropriate command for my .emacs file, but I have not
found it.

* Re: turning off automatic indentation
@ 2002-11-27  5:06 ` Jesper Harder
From: Jesper Harder @ 2002-11-27  5:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Howard E. Haber" <hhaber@pacbell.net> writes:

> Dear Sir or Madam:
>      It has come to my attention...
>
> by the time I get to the second line of the letter, emacs automatically
> aligns that line under the sentence ("It has come to my attention...").  I
> would prefer to have the wordwrapping feature start the second line fully
> left justified and not indented.

You want `M-x paragraph-indent-text-mode'.

> I am looking for some appropriate command for my .emacs file, but I
> have not found it.

I was going to suggest

  (add-hook 'text-mode-hook 'paragraph-indent-minor-mode)

But unfortunately that's broken in the current version of Emacs.

* Re: turning off automatic indentation
@ 2002-12-02 20:03   ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2002-12-02 20:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jesper Harder wrote:

> I was going to suggest
>
>   (add-hook 'text-mode-hook 'paragraph-indent-minor-mode)
>
> But unfortunately that's broken in the current version of Emacs.

Just a guess:

(add-hook 'text-mode-hook (lambda () (paragraph-indent-minor-mode 1)))

--

* Re: turning off automatic indentation
@ 2002-12-02 23:06     ` Jesper Harder
From: Jesper Harder @ 2002-12-02 23:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kevin Rodgers <kevinr@ihs.com> writes:

> Jesper Harder wrote:
>
>> I was going to suggest   (add-hook 'text-mode-hook
>> 'paragraph-indent-minor-mode)
>> But unfortunately that's broken in the current version of Emacs.
>
> Just a guess:
>
> (add-hook 'text-mode-hook (lambda () (paragraph-indent-minor-mode 1)))

Nope.  It's a bug in `paragraph-indent-minor-mode' which is fixed in
CVS.

That was what I was trying to imply with "current version", although it
probably wasn't very clear.