all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* switch-to-EXISTING-buffer
@ 2009-01-07  9:33 Ivan
From: Ivan @ 2009-01-07  9:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

switch-to-buffer will on a unknown buffer create a new buffer. But for
my use I usually want an existing buffer. It would save me time and
frustration to make a simple enter try to autocomplete the rest of the
buffer name.

Does such a functionality exist?

* Re: switch-to-EXISTING-buffer
@ 2009-01-07 10:15 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2009-01-07 10:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ivan; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 07.01.2009 um 10:33 schrieb Ivan:

> It would save me time and frustration to make a simple enter try to
> autocomplete the rest of the buffer name.

What is in your understanding "simple?" What do you think would be a
simple means to tell GNU Emacs that auto-completion has
(successfully) finished? The problem is that *I* cannot imagine
something simpler, except, say, my computer reading my mind.

--
Greetings

   Pete

Think of XML as Lisp for COBOL programmers.
				- Tony-A (some guy on /.)

* Re: switch-to-EXISTING-buffer
@ 2009-01-07 10:21 ` Sven Bretfeld
From: Sven Bretfeld @ 2009-01-07 10:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi

Ivan <ivannedr@gmail.com> writes:

> switch-to-buffer will on a unknown buffer create a new buffer. But for
> my use I usually want an existing buffer. It would save me time and
> frustration to make a simple enter try to autocomplete the rest of the
> buffer name.

Just press C-x b type the first few letters and press TAB. Press it
twice to see all possible completions of what you have typed so far.
Otherwise you can use ibuffer (C-x C-b) to get a list of all existing
buffers. Enter them with RET.

This is not quite what you want I guess, and possibly I'm telling you
things you already know. Saving the time pressing TAB is what you want,
right?

Greetings

Sven

* Re: switch-to-EXISTING-buffer
@ 2009-01-07 10:29 ` Xavier
From: Xavier @ 2009-01-07 10:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Le Mercredi 07 janvier 2009 à 10:33, Ivan <ivannedr@gmail.com> a écrit :

> switch-to-buffer will on a unknown buffer create a new buffer. But for
> my use I usually want an existing buffer. It would save me time and
> frustration to make a simple enter try to autocomplete the rest of the
> buffer name.
>
> Does such a functionality exist?
Wouldn't ido-mode be what you are looking for ?
--
Xavier

* Re: switch-to-EXISTING-buffer
@ 2009-01-07 13:21   ` Ivan
From: Ivan @ 2009-01-07 13:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 7 Jan, 11:29, "Xavier" <xav...@no.spam> wrote:
> Le Mercredi 07 janvier 2009 à 10:33, Ivan <ivann...@gmail.com> a écrit :
>
> > switch-to-buffer will on a unknown buffer create a new buffer. But for
> > my use I usually want an existing buffer. It would save me time and
> > frustration to make a simple enter try to autocomplete the rest of the
> > buffer name.
>
> > Does such a functionality exist?
>
> Wouldn't ido-mode be what you are looking for ?
> --
> Xavier

The ido-mode is exactly what I am looking for, thank you very much!

* Re: switch-to-EXISTING-buffer
@ 2009-01-07 17:38     ` B. T. Raven
From: B. T. Raven @ 2009-01-07 17:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Ivan wrote:
> On 7 Jan, 11:29, "Xavier" <xav...@no.spam> wrote:
>> Le Mercredi 07 janvier 2009 à 10:33, Ivan <ivann...@gmail.com> a écrit :
>>
>>> switch-to-buffer will on a unknown buffer create a new buffer. But for
>>> my use I usually want an existing buffer. It would save me time and
>>> frustration to make a simple enter try to autocomplete the rest of the
>>> buffer name.
>>> Does such a functionality exist?
>> Wouldn't ido-mode be what you are looking for ?
>> --
>> Xavier
>
> The ido-mode is exactly what I am looking for, thank you very much!

Running Custom on iswitchb put this in my .emacs:

  '(iswitchb-mode t nil (iswitchb))

This may be even closer to what you want if you find that ido-mode has
other side effects. Iswitchb-mode changes the behavior of C-x b so that
a list of all buffers (or a customized subset) appears in the
minibuffer. Keystokes incrementally move buffer names to the head of the
list so that you need only to start typing the buffer name and then
press Return when the desired buffer heads the list; no need even to
reach for the Tab key.

Ed

* Re: switch-to-EXISTING-buffer
@ 2009-01-08 12:02       ` Ivan
From: Ivan @ 2009-01-08 12:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 7 Jan, 18:38, "B. T. Raven" <ni...@nihilo.net> wrote:
> Ivan wrote:

> >> Wouldn't ido-mode be what you are looking for ?
> >> --
> >> Xavier
>
> > The ido-mode is exactly what I am looking for, thank you very much!
>
> Running Custom on iswitchb put this in my .emacs:
>
>   '(iswitchb-mode t nil (iswitchb))
>
> This may be even closer to what you want if you find that ido-mode has
> other side effects. Iswitchb-mode changes the behavior of C-x b so that
> a list of all buffers (or a customized subset) appears in the
> minibuffer. Keystokes incrementally move buffer names to the head of the
> list so that you need only to start typing the buffer name and then
> press Return when the desired buffer heads the list; no need even to
> reach for the Tab key.
>
> Ed

Yes, iswitchb-mode also does what I want, ill have to se which one i
prefer. What a luxury :)