all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Indent region
@ 2009-08-24 14:55 Rodolfo Medina
From: Rodolfo Medina @ 2009-08-24 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

`C-u 10 C-x TAB' or `C-M-\' indent a region `line by line', whereas I want the
whole region to be indented, like:

    The old lady pulled her spectacles down and looked over them about the
    room; then she put them up and looked out under them. She seldom or never
    looked through them for so small a thing as a boy; they were her state
    pair, the pride of her heart, and were built for "style," not service --
    she could have seen through a pair of stove-lids just as well. She looked
    perplexed for a moment, and then said, not fiercely, but still loud enough
    for the furniture to hear:

.  In Emacs manual I couldn't find an answer to the problem.

Thanks for any help
Rodolfo

* Re: Indent region
@ 2009-08-24 15:02 ` Peter Brett
From: Peter Brett @ 2009-08-24 15:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Rodolfo Medina <rodolfo.medina@gmail.com> writes:

> `C-u 10 C-x TAB' or `C-M-\' indent a region `line by line', whereas I want the
> whole region to be indented, like:
>
>     The old lady pulled her spectacles down and looked over them about the
>     room; then she put them up and looked out under them. She seldom or never
>     looked through them for so small a thing as a boy; they were her state
>     pair, the pride of her heart, and were built for "style," not service --
>     she could have seen through a pair of stove-lids just as well. She looked
>     perplexed for a moment, and then said, not fiercely, but still loud enough
>     for the furniture to hear:
>
> .  In Emacs manual I couldn't find an answer to the problem.

If it's a one-off, have you tried picture-mode?

                                Peter ;-)

--
Peter Brett <peter@peter-b.co.uk>
Remote Sensing Research Group

* Re: Indent region
@ 2009-08-24 15:16 ` Alan
From: Alan @ 2009-08-24 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Aug 24, 9:55 am, Rodolfo Medina <rodolfo.med...@gmail.com> wrote:
> `C-u 10 C-x TAB' or `C-M-\' indent a region `line by line', whereas I want the
> whole region to be indented, like:
>
>     The old lady pulled her spectacles down and looked over them about the
>     room; then she put them up and looked out under them. She seldom or never
>     looked through them for so small a thing as a boy; they were her state
>     pair, the pride of her heart, and were built for "style," not service --
>     she could have seen through a pair of stove-lids just as well. She looked
>     perplexed for a moment, and then said, not fiercely, but still loud enough
>     for the furniture to hear:
>
> .  In Emacs manual I couldn't find an answer to the problem.
>
> Thanks for any help
> Rodolfo

C-x r t runs `string-rectangle'

`string-rectangle' is an interactive compiled Lisp function
  -- loaded from "rect"
(string-rectangle START END STRING)

Documentation:
Insert STRING on each line of the region-rectangle, shifting text
right.
The left edge of the rectangle specifies the column for insertion.

If `pending-delete-mode' is active the string replace the region.
Otherwise this command does not delete or overwrite any existing text.

When called from a program, the rectangle's corners are START and END.

* Re: Indent region
@ 2009-08-24 16:40 ` B. T. Raven
From: B. T. Raven @ 2009-08-24 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Rodolfo Medina wrote:
> `C-u 10 C-x TAB' or `C-M-\' indent a region `line by line', whereas I want the
> whole region to be indented, like:
>
>     The old lady pulled her spectacles down and looked over them about the
>     room; then she put them up and looked out under them. She seldom or never
>     looked through them for so small a thing as a boy; they were her state
>     pair, the pride of her heart, and were built for "style," not service --
>     she could have seen through a pair of stove-lids just as well. She looked
>     perplexed for a moment, and then said, not fiercely, but still loud enough
>     for the furniture to hear:
>
> .  In Emacs manual I couldn't find an answer to the problem.
>
> Thanks for any help
> Rodolfo

At beginning of region do:

C-space

move to last line of region
move cursor rightward as far as you want the region indented

do:
C-x r o

* Re: Indent region
@ 2009-08-24 18:22   ` Rodolfo Medina
From: Rodolfo Medina @ 2009-08-24 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

"B. T. Raven" <nihil@nihilo.net> writes:

> At beginning of region do:
>
> C-space
>
> move to last line of region
> move cursor rightward as far as you want the region indented
>
> do:
> C-x r o

Thanks, but that's the same as `C-u 10 C-x TAB' or `C-M-\': each line of the
region is indented separately, but not the region all together, as in my
example.

Rodolfo

* Re: Indent region
@ 2009-08-24 20:35     ` Lennart Borgman
       [not found]     ` <mailman.5270.1251146161.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2009-08-24 20:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rodolfo Medina; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Mon, Aug 24, 2009 at 8:22 PM, Rodolfo Medina<rodolfo.medina@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks, but that's the same as `C-u 10 C-x TAB' or `C-M-\': each line of the
> region is indented separately, but not the region all together, as in my
> example.
>
> Rodolfo

I think some of us are trying to guess what you mean right now. Do you
perhaps mean that filling and indenting should work in concert here?

* Re: Indent region
@ 2009-08-24 21:15     ` B. T. Raven
       [not found]     ` <mailman.5270.1251146161.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: B. T. Raven @ 2009-08-24 21:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Rodolfo Medina wrote:
> Rodolfo Medina wrote:
>
>>> `C-u 10 C-x TAB' or `C-M-\' indent a region `line by line', whereas I want
>>> the whole region to be indented, like:
>>>
>>>     The old lady pulled her spectacles down and looked over them about the
>>>     room; then she put them up and looked out under them. She seldom or
>>>     never looked through them for so small a thing as a boy; they were her
>>>     state pair, the pride of her heart, and were built for "style," not
>>>
>>> .  In Emacs manual I couldn't find an answer to the problem.
>

> "B. T. Raven" <nihil@nihilo.net> writes:
>
>> At beginning of region do:
>>
>> C-space
>>
>> move to last line of region
>> move cursor rightward as far as you want the region indented
>>
>> do:
>> C-x r o
>

> Thanks, but that's the same as `C-u 10 C-x TAB' or `C-M-\': each line of the
> region is indented separately, but not the region all together, as in my
> example.
>
> Rodolfo

I understand the distinction in theory. What does it amount to in
practice? If I copy-paste your original paragraph into Emacs (from
Thunderbird) there are linefeeds after the, never, state, service --,
etc. What you show above has changes (possibly due to word wrap or quote
prefixes). A paragraph is defined by paragraph-separate and
paragraph-start, I think. Is the original paragraph(s) one long line in
Emacs? If not then there are line-feeds within the paragraph(s) (or
region) and it will have to be treated as individual lines.

Another feature you might look at is fill prefixes:

C-x .

Btw, C-u 10 C-M-\ isn't exactly the same as C-space at beginning and C-x
r o at end since the former doesn't seem to preserve a possibly hanging
or over indented first line.

Ed

* Re: Indent region
@ 2009-08-24 21:51         ` Lennart Borgman
       [not found]         ` <mailman.5272.1251150746.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2009-08-24 21:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rodolfo Medina; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Tue, Aug 25, 2009 at 12:13 AM, Rodolfo
Medina<rodolfo.medina@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 24 Rodolfo Medina<rodolfo.medina@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> Thanks, but that's the same as `C-u 10 C-x TAB' or `C-M-\': each line of the
>>> region is indented separately, but not the region all together, as in my
>>> example.
>

> Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I think some of us are trying to guess what you mean right now. Do you
>> perhaps mean that filling and indenting should work in concert here?
>

> Yes, that's it: sorry for not having been clear.  I'm driving mad about that
> because can't find a solution in Emacs manual, which seems strange.
>
> Any hint??

Can't you just indent first and then fill? Or doesn't that work for
you? (What version of Emacs are you using?)

If you have any better idea for how this could be done, then please
tell us. I can't see how Emacs should know that it should fill to when
it indents, but maybe there could be a command that does both. What do
you think?

* Re: Indent region
       [not found]     ` <mailman.5270.1251146161.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2009-08-24 22:13       ` Rodolfo Medina
       [not found]         ` <mailman.5272.1251150746.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Rodolfo Medina @ 2009-08-24 22:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Mon, Aug 24 Rodolfo Medina<rodolfo.medina@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Thanks, but that's the same as `C-u 10 C-x TAB' or `C-M-\': each line of the
>> region is indented separately, but not the region all together, as in my
>> example.

Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> writes:

> I think some of us are trying to guess what you mean right now. Do you
> perhaps mean that filling and indenting should work in concert here?

Yes, that's it: sorry for not having been clear.  I'm driving mad about that
because can't find a solution in Emacs manual, which seems strange.

Any hint??

Thanks
Rodolfo

* Re: Indent region
@ 2009-08-24 22:28       ` Rodolfo Medina
From: Rodolfo Medina @ 2009-08-24 22:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>> "B. T. Raven" <nihil@nihilo.net> writes:
>>
>>> At beginning of region do:
>>>
>>> C-space
>>>
>>> move to last line of region
>>> move cursor rightward as far as you want the region indented
>>>
>>> do:
>>> C-x r o
>>

>> Thanks, but that's the same as `C-u 10 C-x TAB' or `C-M-\': each line of the
>> region is indented separately, but not the region all together, as in my
>> example.
>>
>> Rodolfo
>
> I understand the distinction in theory. What does it amount to in practice? If
> I copy-paste your original paragraph into Emacs (from Thunderbird) there are
> linefeeds after the, never, state, service --,
> etc. What you show above has changes (possibly due to word wrap or quote
> prefixes). A paragraph is defined by paragraph-separate and paragraph-start, I
> think. Is the original paragraph(s) one long line in Emacs? If not then there
> are line-feeds within the paragraph(s) (or region) and it will have to be
> treated as individual lines.

All I want is the same that `M-q' does, only that the paragraph lines should
all begin from column, say, 10 instead of 1.  It looks strange to me that it
is, as I see, difficult and original.

Thanks
Rodolfo

* Re: Indent region
       [not found]         ` <mailman.5272.1251150746.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2009-08-24 23:19           ` Rodolfo Medina
From: Rodolfo Medina @ 2009-08-24 23:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> writes:

> On Tue, Aug 25, 2009 at 12:13 AM, Rodolfo
> Medina<rodolfo.medina@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> I think some of us are trying to guess what you mean right now. Do you
>>> perhaps mean that filling and indenting should work in concert here?
>>

>> Yes, that's it: sorry for not having been clear.  I'm driving mad about that
>> because can't find a solution in Emacs manual, which seems strange.
>>
>> Any hint??
>

> Can't you just indent first and then fill? Or doesn't that work for
> you? (What version of Emacs are you using?)

Yes, it does, but not in LaTeX mode: that's why it didn't work for me: I was in
LaTeX mode.  So, this seems to be an issue for AUCTeX mailing list.

* Re: Indent region
@ 2009-08-25  2:04         ` B. T. Raven
From: B. T. Raven @ 2009-08-25  2:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Rodolfo Medina wrote:

>>> Thanks, but that's the same as `C-u 10 C-x TAB' or `C-M-\': each line of the
>>> region is indented separately, but not the region all together, as in my
>>> example.
>>>
>>> Rodolfo
>> I understand the distinction in theory. What does it amount to in practice? If
>> I copy-paste your original paragraph into Emacs (from Thunderbird) there are
>> linefeeds after the, never, state, service --,
>> etc. What you show above has changes (possibly due to word wrap or quote
>> prefixes). A paragraph is defined by paragraph-separate and paragraph-start, I
>> think. Is the original paragraph(s) one long line in Emacs? If not then there
>> are line-feeds within the paragraph(s) (or region) and it will have to be
>> treated as individual lines.
>

> All I want is the same that `M-q' does, only that the paragraph lines should
> all begin from column, say, 10 instead of 1.  It looks strange to me that it
> is, as I see, difficult and original.
>
> Thanks
> Rodolfo

Well, you could wrap setq fill-column, fill-paragraph, and open
rectangle all in some function. Do you want indenting to be built into
the fill-paragraph (fill-region) functions? Why do you care how it's
done if the result is satisfactory? All M-q does is reformat paragraph
to break lines at the nearest space before or at fill-column. After
moving everthing over ten spaces you can still do M-q without losing
that 10 space margin. Remember to add 10 to fill-column or the result
will be narrower than you expect.

Ed

* Re: Indent region in LaTeX mode
@ 2009-08-26  9:42             ` Rodolfo Medina
From: Rodolfo Medina @ 2009-08-26  9:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Rodolfo Medina <rodolfo.medina@gmail.com> writes:

> Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> On Tue, Aug 25, 2009 at 12:13 AM, Rodolfo
>> Medina<rodolfo.medina@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Can't you just indent first and then fill? Or doesn't that work for
>> you? (What version of Emacs are you using?)
>

> Yes, it does, but not in LaTeX mode: that's why it didn't work for me: I was
> in LaTeX mode.  So, this seems to be an issue for AUCTeX mailing list.

It seems that from AUCTeX ml no help could come about that issue, so I'm coming
back to the present list in the hope that some elisp expert can suggest a
proper code in order to achieve what I want.

I resume the problem: I want a certain paragraph to be indented and filled,
like this:

\item{1)} The old lady pulled her spectacles down and looked over them about
          the room; then she put them up and looked out under them. She seldom
          or never looked through them for so small a thing as a boy; they were
          her state pair, the pride of her heart, and were built for "style,"
          not service -- she could have seen through a pair of stove-lids just

.  I get this easily in text mode with `C-u 10 C-x TAB' and then `M-q'.
Instead, in LaTeX mode, `M-q' does not fill the region.  I don't know why it
works fine in text mode but not in LaTeX mode.

Can anyone suggest a proper code to make those above commands work _also_ under
LaTeX mode?

The issue looks important to me because, just in LaTeX, mode, you can often use
such \item environments.

Thanks for any help
Rodolfo

* Re: Indent region in LaTeX mode
@ 2009-08-26 11:24               ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found]               ` <mailman.5415.1251285889.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2009-08-26 11:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rodolfo Medina; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 26.08.2009 um 11:42 schrieb Rodolfo Medina:

> Can anyone suggest a proper code to make those above commands work
> _also_ under
> LaTeX mode?

Make it an one-liner, i.e., fill-column set to 99999 or more.

--
Greetings

   Pete

Let's face it; we don't want a free market economy either.
		– James Farley, president, Coca-Cola Export Corp., 1959

* Re: Indent region in LaTeX mode
@ 2009-08-26 12:54                   ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found]                   ` <mailman.5423.1251291261.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2009-08-26 12:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rodolfo Medina; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 26.08.2009 um 15:23 schrieb Rodolfo Medina:

> ...and then?  Can you be more clear?

Every \item will have its own dedicated line. And so the paragraphs.
Can't you simply try it?

--
Greetings

   Pete

  "A designer knows he has arrived at perfection not when there is no
longer anything to add, but when there is no longer anything to take
away."
				– Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

@ 2009-08-26 13:23                 ` Rodolfo Medina
       [not found]                   ` <mailman.5423.1251291261.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Rodolfo Medina @ 2009-08-26 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

@ 2009-08-26 14:17                     ` Rodolfo Medina
From: Rodolfo Medina @ 2009-08-26 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Rodolfo wrote:

> I want a certain paragraph to be indented and filled, like this:
>
> \item{1)} The old lady pulled her spectacles down and looked over them about
>           the room; then she put them up and looked out under them. She seldom
>           or never looked through them for so small a thing as a boy;  were
>           her state pair, the pride of her heart, and were built for "style,"
>           not service -- she could have seen through a pair of stove-lids just
>
> .  I get this easily in text mode with `C-u 10 C-x TAB' and then `M-q'.
> Instead, in LaTeX mode, `M-q' does not fill the region.  I don't know why it
> works fine in text mode but not in LaTeX mode.
>
> Can anyone suggest a proper code to make those above commands work _also_
> under LaTeX mode?
>
> The issue looks important to me because, just in LaTeX, mode, you can often
> use such \item environments.

> Make it an one-liner, i.e., fill-column set to 99999 or more.
> Every \item will have its own dedicated line. And so the paragraphs.

Then my example above becomes:

\item{1)} The old lady pulled her spectacles down and looked over them about the room; then she put them up and looked out under them. She seldom or never looked through them for so small a thing as a boy; they were her state pair, the pride of her heart, and were built for "style," not service -- she could have seen through a pair of stove-lids just

.  It's not what I want.  Maybe I misunderstood what you meant.

Rodolfo

* Re: Indent region in LaTeX mode
@ 2009-08-26 14:23                       ` Peter Dyballa
                                         ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2009-08-26 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rodolfo Medina; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 26.08.2009 um 16:17 schrieb Rodolfo Medina:

> .  It's not what I want.  Maybe I misunderstood what you meant.

It's what I want. Otherwise I would use M$ Word.

--
Greetings

   Pete

Never be led astray onto the path of virtue

@ 2009-08-26 17:10               ` Ralf Angeli
From: Ralf Angeli @ 2009-08-26 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

* Rodolfo Medina (2009-08-26) writes:

> It seems that from AUCTeX ml no help could come about that issue

Duly noted.

--
Ralf

* Re: Indent region in LaTeX mode
@ 2009-08-26 17:52                       ` B. T. Raven
       [not found]                       ` <mailman.5507.1251363817.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: B. T. Raven @ 2009-08-26 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Rodolfo Medina wrote:
> Rodolfo wrote:
>
>> I want a certain paragraph to be indented and filled, like this:
>>
>> \item{1)} The old lady pulled her spectacles down and looked over them about
>>           the room; then she put them up and looked out under them. She seldom
>>           or never looked through them for so small a thing as a boy;  were
>>           her state pair, the pride of her heart, and were built for "style,"
>>           not service -- she could have seen through a pair of stove-lids just
>>
>> .  I get this easily in text mode with `C-u 10 C-x TAB' and then `M-q'.
>> Instead, in LaTeX mode, `M-q' does not fill the region.  I don't know why it
>> works fine in text mode but not in LaTeX mode.
>>
>> Can anyone suggest a proper code to make those above commands work _also_
>> under LaTeX mode?
>>
>> The issue looks important to me because, just in LaTeX, mode, you can often
>> use such \item environments.
>

> Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@Web.DE> writes:
>
>> Make it an one-liner, i.e., fill-column set to 99999 or more.
>> Every \item will have its own dedicated line. And so the paragraphs.
>

> Then my example above becomes:
>
> \item{1)} The old lady pulled her spectacles down and looked over them about the room; then she put them up and looked out under them. She seldom or never looked through them for so small a thing as a boy; they were her state pair, the pride of her heart, and were built for "style," not service -- she could have seen through a pair of stove-lids just
>
> .  It's not what I want.  Maybe I misunderstood what you meant.
>
> Rodolfo

If you can't get a guru interested in your problem then I guess you're
screwed. Here is an elisp function that doesn't work:

(defun my-latex-indent-item (&optional n)
(interactive "p")
   (mark-paragraph)
   (unless n (setq n 10))
   (open-rectangle 1 n)
)

What this wants to do is move the \item paragraph (made into a region) n
spaces right if C-u n prefix exists, otherwise ten spaces. What it does
is go to the beginning of the buffer and move the first line n spaces.

???

Maybe it needs unwind-protect, save-excursion or something else I don't
understand. Or maybe you can't implicitly create a region in an elisp
program.

@ 2009-08-27  9:00                       ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found]                       ` <mailman.5507.1251363817.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2009-08-27  9:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rodolfo Medina; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 26.08.2009 um 16:17 schrieb Rodolfo Medina:

> Then my example above becomes:
>
> \item{1)} The old lady pulled her spectacles down and looked over
> them about the room; then she put them up and looked out under
> them. She seldom or never looked through them for so small a thing
> as a boy; they were her state pair, the pride of her heart, and
> were built for "style," not service -- she could have seen through
> a pair of stove-lids just
>
> .  It's not what I want.

OK, another try! Reduce fill-column to previous value less the
indentation. Starting in a new and fresh line at first column. There
write your text and format it with M-Q. Now cut it as a rectangle and
insert the rectangle after the \item or whatever. It will be
automatically indented. Set fill-column back to the original value.

--
Greetings

   Pete

A child of five could understand this!  Fetch me a child of five.

@ 2009-08-27 11:58                         ` Rodolfo Medina
From: Rodolfo Medina @ 2009-08-27 11:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Rodolfo Medina wrote:

>> I want a certain paragraph to be indented and filled, like this:
>>
>> \item{1)} The old lady pulled her spectacles down and looked over them about
>>           the room; then she put them up and looked out under them. She
>>           or never looked through them for so small a thing as a boy;  were
>>           her state pair, the pride of her heart, and were built for "style,"
>>           not service -- she could have seen through a pair of stove-lids
>>
>> .  I get this easily in text mode with `C-u 10 C-x TAB' and then `M-q'.
>> Instead, in LaTeX mode, `M-q' does not fill the region.  I don't know why it
>> works fine in text mode but not in LaTeX mode.
>>
>> Can anyone suggest a proper code to make those above commands work _also_
>> under LaTeX mode?
>>
>> The issue looks important to me because, just in LaTeX, mode, you can often
>> use such \item environments.

> OK, another try! Reduce fill-column to previous value less the
> indentation. Starting in a new and fresh line at first column. There  write
> your text and format it with M-Q. Now cut it as a rectangle and  insert the
> rectangle after the \item or whatever. It will be  automatically indented. Set
> fill-column back to the original value.

That seems to work, thanks.

 "When you must specify a rectangle for a command to work on, you do it
  by putting the mark at one corner and point at the opposite corner."

Then, `C-x r r R' to copy or `C-x r k' to kill it it and `C-x r y' to paste it
at the desired point.

It's not to jump for joy, it's a bit complicated, but it works.  When I think
that in text mode it's very simple... So, another way could be to switch to
text mode, do the job and then switch back to LaTeX mode.

Maybe, then, we needn't become M$ Word users, do we? ;)

Rodolfo