all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Window-blinker (light) I need advices!
@ 2003-11-20  0:00 François Fleuret
From: François Fleuret @ 2003-11-20  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

The e-other-window thing is a neat stuff. I wrote my own simpler
version (which is not full-featured, but small is beautiful).

Two questions:

 - Is my defadvice usage correct ? It looks sort of odd to me
   (especially to have to define one symbol for each advice ?)

 - Is there a better way to change a window background color ? This
   overlay trick stuff just sucks. First, it wont blink the empty
   lines (which is very bad for an empty buffer ...) and if several
   window display areas overlap, they will all blinks !

Regards,

F.

(make-face 'blinker-face)
(set-face-attribute 'blinker-face nil  :background "white")

(defun blinker-blink-current() (interactive)
  (make-local-variable 'blinker-overlay)
  (setq blinker-overlay (make-overlay (window-start) (window-end)))
  (overlay-put blinker-overlay 'face 'blinker-face)
  (sit-for 0 50)
  (delete-overlay blinker-overlay))

(defadvice switch-to-buffer-other-window (after blinker-switch-to-buffer-other-window nil activate)
  (blinker-blink-current))

(defadvice next-multiframe-window (after blinker-next-multiframe-window nil activate)
  (blinker-blink-current))

(defadvice previous-multiframe-window (after blinker-previous-multiframe-window nil activate)
  (blinker-blink-current))

(defadvice other-window (after blinker-other-window nil activate)
  (blinker-blink-current))

* Re: Window-blinker (light) I need advices!
@ 2003-11-20  0:36 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2003-11-20  0:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

François Fleuret wrote:

>  - Is my defadvice usage correct ? It looks sort of odd to me
>    (especially to have to define one symbol for each advice ?)

It's correct, but the advice name only has to be unique with respect
to the function being advised, so you could use something like
blinker-blink-current for each of them.

--
Kevin Rodgers

* Re: Window-blinker (light) I need advices!
@ 2003-11-20  0:39 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2003-11-20  0:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

François Fleuret wrote:

>  - Is there a better way to change a window background color ? This
>    overlay trick stuff just sucks. First, it wont blink the empty
>    lines (which is very bad for an empty buffer ...) and if several
>    window display areas overlap, they will all blinks !

C-h f set-background-color
C-h f modify-frame-parameters

--
Kevin Rodgers

* Re: Window-blinker (light) I need advices!
@ 2003-11-20  9:33   ` François Fleuret
From: François Fleuret @ 2003-11-20  9:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

Kevin Rodgers wrote on 20 Nov 2003 01:39:22 MET:

> C-h f set-background-color
> C-h f modify-frame-parameters

This would change the background color of a frame, not a window (in
the emacs sens of it).

Regards,

--
François Fleuret

IMEDIA Research Group                            Tel +33 1 39 63 55 83
INRIA, France                                    Fax +33 1 39 63 59 95