all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* emacs as a C++ editor
@ 2005-01-08 19:14 Knackeback
From: Knackeback @ 2005-01-08 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Does an emacs extension exist which supports
code completion for C++ programming ?

Thomas

* Re: emacs as a C++ editor
@ 2005-01-08 19:28 ` Roy Smith
From: Roy Smith @ 2005-01-08 19:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <m33bxbohrh.fsf@redrat.quark.de>,
 Knackeback <knackeback@randspringer.de> wrote:

> Does an emacs extension exist which supports
> code completion for C++ programming ?
>
> Thomas

There is C++ mode, which is probably included in most emacs distribtions.

I'm not sure what you mean by "code completion", but it has a lot of
features which help editing C++ code.

You can do meta-/ and it will try to autocomplete the word you started
typing.  This is especially useful with the long function names that
seem to be common in C++.  You type "fin M-/" and it completes
"findAndReplaceAllFrobnitzOccurrances", assuming there is an instance of
that name somewhere nearby.  If it guessed wrong, hit M-/ again and
it'll cycle through some likely alternatives.  Very handy.

It also auto-indents code (and can be tweaked to use almost any indent
style known to man), matches parens (and braces and brackets and
quotes), does syntax coloring, and probably 47 other nifty things I've
either forgotten about of haven't discovered yet.

Not to mention built-in support for running compilations, and
interfacing to several common source control systems.

* Re: emacs as a C++ editor
@ 2005-01-09 18:28   ` Knackeback
From: Knackeback @ 2005-01-09 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Roy Smith <roy@panix.com> writes:

> In article <m33bxbohrh.fsf@redrat.quark.de>,
>  Knackeback <knackeback@randspringer.de> wrote:
>
> > Does an emacs extension exist which supports
> > code completion for C++ programming ?
> >
> > Thomas
>
> There is C++ mode, which is probably included in most emacs distribtions.
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by "code completion", but it has a lot of
> features which help editing C++ code.
>
> You can do meta-/ and it will try to autocomplete the word you started
> typing.  This is especially useful with the long function names that
> seem to be common in C++.  You type "fin M-/" and it completes
> "findAndReplaceAllFrobnitzOccurrances", assuming there is an instance of
> that name somewhere nearby.  If it guessed wrong, hit M-/ again and
> it'll cycle through some likely alternatives.  Very handy.
>
> It also auto-indents code (and can be tweaked to use almost any indent
> style known to man), matches parens (and braces and brackets and
> quotes), does syntax coloring, and probably 47 other nifty things I've
> either forgotten about of haven't discovered yet.

g> Not to mention built-in support for running compilations, and
> interfacing to several common source control systems.

I think the CEDET project http://cedet.sourceforge.net/ could have
the feature. I will try it. I think the boost libraries are a real
test for parsing the C++ code, which is necessary for code completion
in C++. Of course if someone has already excperience with CEDET please
tell ...

--
NO ePatents: http://swpat.ffii.org/index.de.html

* Re: emacs as a C++ editor
@ 2005-01-10 14:18     ` Eric Ludlam
From: Eric Ludlam @ 2005-01-10 14:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

>>> Knackeback <knackeback@randspringer.de> seems to think that:
>Roy Smith <roy@panix.com> writes:
>
>> In article <m33bxbohrh.fsf@redrat.quark.de>,
>>  Knackeback <knackeback@randspringer.de> wrote:
>>
>> > Does an emacs extension exist which supports
>> > code completion for C++ programming ?
>> >
>> > Thomas
>>
>> There is C++ mode, which is probably included in most emacs distribtions.
>>
>> I'm not sure what you mean by "code completion", but it has a lot of
>> features which help editing C++ code.
>>
>> You can do meta-/ and it will try to autocomplete the word you started
>> typing.  This is especially useful with the long function names that
>> seem to be common in C++.  You type "fin M-/" and it completes
>> "findAndReplaceAllFrobnitzOccurrances", assuming there is an instance of
>> that name somewhere nearby.  If it guessed wrong, hit M-/ again and
>> it'll cycle through some likely alternatives.  Very handy.
>>
>> It also auto-indents code (and can be tweaked to use almost any indent
>> style known to man), matches parens (and braces and brackets and
>> quotes), does syntax coloring, and probably 47 other nifty things I've
>> either forgotten about of haven't discovered yet.
>>
>g> Not to mention built-in support for running compilations, and
>> interfacing to several common source control systems.
>
>I think the CEDET project http://cedet.sourceforge.net/ could have
>the feature. I will try it. I think the boost libraries are a real
>test for parsing the C++ code, which is necessary for code completion
>in C++. Of course if someone has already excperience with CEDET please
>tell ...

There is a mailing list where you can ask specific questions off the
url you listed above.

I've not heard of anyone trying to parse the boost libraries with
CEDET. That would be an interesting thing to know.

Eric