all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* unload/rollback question
@ 2006-03-01 21:41 Peter Tury
From: Peter Tury @ 2006-03-01 21:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

is it possible anyhow to "unload" something what was previously loaded by
load or require? E.g. a mode? Without restarting Emacs. It just came to my
mind how would it be possible to test some mode under development: when I
think I could try something I would like to start from a "clean page", so
unloading safely everything what was tried previoulsy would be a must.

Does unload-feature do this? It seems for me that it works only if it is
"supported" by that mode... (Is unload-feature a new stuff? Since then old
modes immediately are out of scope...:-(

Could undo be used somehow?

Would this be possible with a little help to Emacs? E.g. evaluating some
insert-savepoint-now and later a rollback-to-savepoint (like in (Oracle)
SQL)?

* Re: unload/rollback question
@ 2006-03-03 21:04 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2006-03-03 21:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 01.03.2006 um 22:41 schrieb Peter Tury:

> It just came to my
> mind how would it be possible to test some mode under development:
> when I
> think I could try something I would like to start from a "clean
> page", so
> unloading safely everything what was tried previoulsy would be a must.

For testing I launch another GNU Emacs ...

--
Greetings

   Pete

      _o    o         o   o
    _<<     \\_/\_,   \\_ \\_/\_,
   (*)/(*) (*)   (*) (*) `-    (*)

* Re: unload/rollback question
@ 2006-03-06  9:11 ` Peter Tury
From: Peter Tury @ 2006-03-06  9:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 1 Mar 2006 22:41:45 +0100, Peter Tury wrote:

> Hi,
>
> is it possible anyhow to "unload" something what was previously loaded by
> load or require? E.g. a mode? Without restarting Emacs.

> Does unload-feature do this? It seems for me that it works only if it is
> "supported" by that mode... (Is unload-feature a new stuff? Since then old
> modes immediately are out of scope...:-(
>
> Could undo be used somehow?
>
> Would this be possible with a little help to Emacs? E.g. evaluating some
> insert-savepoint-now and later a rollback-to-savepoint (like in (Oracle)
> SQL)?

Maybe mapatoms could be used for this? Is it exceptional to use some
OBARRAY instead of the standard obarray? (I saw an interesting example in
the elisp manual 8.3 Creating and Interning Symbols.)

How can I get a list of all the OBARRAYs?

Now I think it is possible to save the all the actual variables and
functions using obarray and later restore the saved state?

Br,