all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* What the next machine will be like after iMac.
@ 2003-11-07  6:35 Don Saklad
From: Don Saklad @ 2003-11-07  6:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

You want to wait for the next design for a machine to be made available
before buying a new computer. What might the next machines be like?...
What are the rumors about what the next mahines will be when the
latest iMac now is considered passe?...

This might be considered directed to Apple Computer users.

* Re: What the next machine will be like after iMac.
@ 2003-11-07  9:05 ` Juri Linkov
       [not found]   ` <mailman.5.1068233198.2005.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Juri Linkov @ 2003-11-07  9:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Don Saklad <dsaklad@nestle.ai.mit.edu> writes:
> You want to wait for the next design for a machine to be made available
> before buying a new computer. What might the next machines be like?...
> What are the rumors about what the next machines will be when the
> latest iMac now is considered passe?...

The next machines will be Lisp machines with Emacs operating system
running on them.

--
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/

* Re: What the next machine will be like after iMac.
@ 2003-11-07 14:33 ` Tim McNamara
From: Tim McNamara @ 2003-11-07 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Don Saklad <dsaklad@nestle.ai.mit.edu> writes:

> You want to wait for the next design for a machine to be made
> available before buying a new computer. What might the next machines
> be like?...  What are the rumors about what the next mahines will be
> when the latest iMac now is considered passe?...
>
> This might be considered directed to Apple Computer users.

And might be more appropriately directed to comp.sys.mac.*

As a long-term Mac user (since 1986) and recent Emacs convert (thanks
to OS X and also to Andrew C.), my guess is that the "future" machine
will be a laptop with a wireless connection to a large flat panel
desktop display, as well as wireless networking, wireless mouses,
wireless storage, wireless keyboard, etc.  Look to see your power cord
being the only wire connected to your computer.  And look to see this
design on the market within the next two years, at the high end with
dual G5 processors.

A better question for this newsgroup is "what's the future of Emacs?"

* Re: What the next machine will be like after iMac.
@ 2003-11-07 15:17   ` Stephen H. Westin
From: Stephen H. Westin @ 2003-11-07 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tim McNamara <timmcn@bitstream.net> writes:

> Don Saklad <dsaklad@nestle.ai.mit.edu> writes:
>
> > You want to wait for the next design for a machine to be made
> > available before buying a new computer. What might the next machines
> > be like?...  What are the rumors about what the next mahines will be
> > when the latest iMac now is considered passe?...
> >
> > This might be considered directed to Apple Computer users.
>
> And might be more appropriately directed to comp.sys.mac.*

Wait. Maybe, since Apple sells a machine called the eMac, he thought
that was the subject of this group.

<snip>

--
-Stephen H. Westin

* Re: What the next machine will be like after iMac.
@ 2003-11-07 17:29   ` Dan Anderson
       [not found]   ` <mailman.5.1068233198.2005.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Dan Anderson @ 2003-11-07 17:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

::snip::
> The next machines will be Lisp machines with Emacs operating system
> running on them.
<tongue in cheek>

	You're way behind the times and need to upgrade.  ;-P  I've been using
Emacs as an OS for years and never once looked back.  Read mail, search
files, browse the web, whatever I need to do I can do in Emacs.  I never
understood the argument about Microsoft being a monopoly because they
bundle so much software.  In Emacs OS I can word process, surf the web,
read mail, read news, program, compile, run said programs, and find
fulfillment.  Plus I can customize just about anything I want in LISP.
All hail the one true editor!

</tongue in cheek>

:-D

-Dan

* Re: What the next machine will be like after iMac.
@ 2003-11-07 19:50     ` Ola Nilsson
From: Ola Nilsson @ 2003-11-07 19:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

westin*nospam@graphics.cornell.edu (Stephen H. Westin) writes:

> Tim McNamara <timmcn@bitstream.net> writes:
>
>> Don Saklad <dsaklad@nestle.ai.mit.edu> writes:
>>
>> > You want to wait for the next design for a machine to be made
>> > available before buying a new computer. What might the next machines
>> > be like?...  What are the rumors about what the next mahines will be
>> > when the latest iMac now is considered passe?...
>> >
>> > This might be considered directed to Apple Computer users.
>>
>> And might be more appropriately directed to comp.sys.mac.*
>
> Wait. Maybe, since Apple sells a machine called the eMac, he thought
> that was the subject of this group.
>
> <snip>

Now, my guess was that Don was pulling our legs... He seems to know the
difference between an Apple Mac and Emacs. Just look at his header:

--
/Ola Nilsson

* Re: What the next machine will be like after iMac.
@ 2003-11-07 19:57       ` Barry Margolin
From: Barry Margolin @ 2003-11-07 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <873cd0vuaa.fsf@helmut.nilsson.homedns.org>,
Ola Nilsson  <sds024five1@sydpost.nospam.nu> wrote:
>Now, my guess was that Don was pulling our legs... He seems to know the
>difference between an Apple Mac and Emacs. Just look at his header:

Don is one of the most notorious trolls in the Boston area, although he
usually confines his rants to the subject of the Boston Public Library.

--
Barry Margolin, barry.margolin@level3.com
Level(3), Woburn, MA

@ 2003-11-08  7:07     ` Juri Linkov
From: Juri Linkov @ 2003-11-08  7:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> The next machines will be Lisp machines with Emacs operating system
>> running on them.
>
> You're way behind the times and need to upgrade.  ;-P

No, no.  I've been using Emacs for everything for more than 10 years.
With the above statement I wanted to say that it could be good to run
Emacs on Lisp machines to improve its speed.

> I've been using Emacs as an OS for years and never once looked back.
> Read mail, search files, browse the web, whatever I need to do I can
> do in Emacs.

But why are you still using Ximian Evolution for sending mail?
If you think that Emacs lacks some features that Evolution has, then
could you tell what features of Evolution are most critical for you.
I just started to implement some of Evolution's features for Emacs, so
this will improve.

--
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/

* Re: What the next machine will be like after iMac.
@ 2003-11-09 18:10       ` Dan Anderson
From: Dan Anderson @ 2003-11-09 18:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> But why are you still using Ximian Evolution for sending mail?

You'll notice from the original post that there was a <Tongue in Cheek>
XML tag and lots of smileys which were meant to imply a joke.  :-D

> If you think that Emacs lacks some features that Evolution has, then
> could you tell what features of Evolution are most critical for you.
> I just started to implement some of Evolution's features for Emacs, so
> this will improve.

	Actually I'm in the process of trying to switch to Emacs as an e-mail
client and getting rid of Evolution.  If Emacs is not what I need I may
be forced to figure out some way to tell Evolution to use Emacs as the
text editor.  :-D  I use evolution because, well, it's relatively easy
to set up.  Sometimes GUIs are nice when you don't have a week to spend
learning the proper key bindings.

-Dan

@ 2003-11-10  7:05     ` Arjan Bos
From: Arjan Bos @ 2003-11-10  7:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dan Anderson wrote:
> ::snip::
>
>>The next machines will be Lisp machines with Emacs operating system
>>running on them.
>
> <tongue in cheek>
>
> 	You're way behind the times and need to upgrade.  ;-P  I've been using
> Emacs as an OS for years and never once looked back.  Read mail, search
> files, browse the web, whatever I need to do I can do in Emacs.  I never
> understood the argument about Microsoft being a monopoly because they
> bundle so much software.  In Emacs OS I can word process, surf the web,
> read mail, read news, program, compile, run said programs, and find
> fulfillment.  Plus I can customize just about anything I want in LISP.
> All hail the one true editor!

So the whole FSF movement and all its GNU tools are created just to make
the Emacs OS? Interesting direction of thought!

Arjan

 > </tongue in cheek>

ps. I really should try to replace Mozilla for Gnus as off-line news
reader ;-)
If you really want to contact me, then replace the "I see you" text by
its three letter accronym, ICU.

Fabricate Diem PVNC, Motto of the Night Watch -- Terry Pratchett

* Re: What the next machine will be like after iMac.
@ 2003-11-11  6:32       ` Lars Brinkhoff
From: Lars Brinkhoff @ 2003-11-11  6:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Arjan Bos <Arjan.Bos@nospam.ISeeYou.nl> writes:
> Dan Anderson wrote:
> > > The next machines will be Lisp machines with Emacs operating
> > > system running on them.
> > I've been using Emacs as an OS for years and never once looked
> > back.  [...]  Plus I can customize just about anything I want in
> > LISP. All hail the one true editor!
> So the whole FSF movement and all its GNU tools are created just to
> make the Emacs OS? Interesting direction of thought!

At least Lisp had a prominent role in the original announcement of the
GNU project:

    ... we plan to have longer filenames, file version numbers, a
    crashproof file system, filename completion perhaps, terminal-
    independent display support, and eventually a Lisp-based window
    system through which several Lisp programs and ordinary Unix
    programs can share a screen.  Both C and Lisp will be available as
    system programming languages.

--
Lars Brinkhoff,         Services for Unix, Linux, GCC, HTTP
Brinkhoff Consulting    http://www.brinkhoff.se/

* Re: What the next machine will be like after iMac.
@ 2003-11-11 10:28       ` Oliver Scholz
From: Oliver Scholz @ 2003-11-11 10:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Arjan Bos <Arjan.Bos@nospam.ISeeYou.nl> writes:

[...]
> So the whole FSF movement and all its GNU tools are created just to
> make the Emacs OS? Interesting direction of thought!
[...]

Depends on your point of view. It is a valid point of view to regard
the GNU/Linux system as a bundle of helper programs for Emacs in order
to keep its design more modular. Some heathens and some heretics
wouldn't phrase it like this, though.

    Oliver
--
21 Brumaire an 212 de la Révolution