all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#6034: 23.1; Disapearing Menus
       [not found] <m2nd11922911004251622r14a493b4x81b9e94ecbffc2c0@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2010-04-25 23:26 ` Wojciech Meyer
From: Wojciech Meyer @ 2010-04-25 23:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 6034

Hey,

The problem is as follows:
Sometimes the menus disappear for some reason. I cannot narrow down in which
cases. Once the toplevel menu disappear, it is impossible to use it, unless
M-x menu-bar-mode will be invoked twice, or (not in every case) C-x b and
C-x 5 b and problematic windows will be put into a new frame. It is kind of
annoying especially with such applications like GNUS which menus tend to be
a very important cheat-sheet.
I am attaching screen shots as a reference.

Thanks!
Wojciech

btw: report-emacs-bug in my case had it own problems too... but i have
workaround it and used gmail.

In GNU Emacs 23.1.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.18.3)
 of 2010-04-04 on spec-desktop
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.10604000
Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: en_GB.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default-enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Tuareg

Minor modes in effect:
  icomplete-mode: t
  desktop-save-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  iswitchb-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  jabber-activity-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  global-auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  abbrev-mode: t

Recent input:
M-x <up> <C-backspace> C-g C-g M-x r e p o <tab> e

Recent messages:
OVERVIEW
Applying style hooks... done
Wrote /home/spec/.emacs.desktop.lock
Desktop: 31 buffers restored.
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
goto-history-element: Beginning of history; no preceding item
Read only text copied to kill ring
Quit [2 times]
Making completion list...

* bug#6034: 23.1; Disapearing Menus
@ 2010-04-26  8:10   ` Jan Djärv
       [not found]     ` <x2kd11922911004260126nad644dbep2d49962a101b0e2d@mail.gmail.com>
From: Jan Djärv @ 2010-04-26  8:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wojciech Meyer; +Cc: 6034

Wojciech Meyer skrev:
> Hey,
>
> The problem is as follows:
> Sometimes the menus disappear for some reason. I cannot narrow down in
> which cases. Once the toplevel menu disappear, it is impossible to use
> it, unless M-x menu-bar-mode will be invoked twice, or (not in every
> case) C-x b and C-x 5 b and problematic windows will be put into a new
> frame. It is kind of annoying especially with such applications like
> GNUS which menus tend to be a very important cheat-sheet.

Can you narrow it down to some specific buffers or modes, i.e. is it always in
GNUS or does it happen in other places as well?

> I am attaching screen shots as a reference.

No you didn't...

	Jan D.

* bug#6034: 23.1; Disapearing Menus
@ 2010-04-27  8:17   ` Jan Djärv
       [not found]     ` <t2sd11922911004270146n85d22e45ge335409865de885c@mail.gmail.com>
From: Jan Djärv @ 2010-04-27  8:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wojciech Meyer; +Cc: 6034

Wojciech Meyer skrev:

> In GNU Emacs 23.1.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.18.3)

Ah, I didn't see the emacs version.  This is probably a known bug, fixed in
the upcoming emacs 23.2, see http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=4122.

Try starting your emacs like this:

% GDK_NATIVE_WINDOWS=1 emacs

or set GDK_NATIVE_WINDOWS in your environment.  If you still see vanishing
menus, please let us know.

Thanks,

	Jan D.

* bug#6034: 23.1; Disapearing Menus
       [not found]       ` <4BD69A78.3070906@swipnet.se>
@ 2010-04-27  8:45         ` Wojciech Meyer
From: Wojciech Meyer @ 2010-04-27  8:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Djärv, 6034

It affects mostly non `core' menus, and usually happens when Emacs enters
the mode the menu is bound to.
Number 3 is after I opened a new frame (it shows the correct behavior).

Wojciech

@ 2010-05-12 10:11       ` Wojciech Meyer
From: Wojciech Meyer @ 2010-05-12 10:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Djärv, 6034

Pls, close the bug. It is fixed I believe in Emacs bzr.  Will try on Emacs
23.2 too and let you know

Thanks,
Wojciech

@ 2010-05-12 11:04         ` Jan D.
From: Jan D. @ 2010-05-12 11:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wojciech Meyer; +Cc: 6034-done

On 2010-05-12 12:11, Wojciech Meyer wrote:
> Pls, close the bug. It is fixed I believe in Emacs bzr.  Will try on
> Emacs 23.2 too and let you know

Closed.

	Jan D.