all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How can replace some word with a real new line in Emacs?
@ 2009-03-18 15:58 mgx0018
From: mgx0018 @ 2009-03-18 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,
        In Emacs, What command can replace some word or symbol with a real newline.
For example, I have a text file like this:

int a;int b;intc;

After I exec the command that replae the ";" with ";" and new line, the text will like this:

int a;
int b;
int c;

      What command can do this? Thanks very much!!

* Re: How can replace some word with a real new line in Emacs?
       [not found] <mailman.3544.1237440736.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2009-03-19  6:19 ` g.w
From: g.w @ 2009-03-19  6:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi mgx,

    > Hello, In Emacs, What command can replace some word or symbol with a real
    > newline.  For example, I have a text file like this:

    > int a;int b;intc;

    > After I exec the command that replae the ";" with ";" and new line, the
    > text will like this:

    > int a; int b; int c;

    >       What command can do this? Thanks very much!!

try:
  M-% ; RET ; C-q C-j RET
or
  M-: (replace-string ";" ";\n")

HTH
g.w
--
Life is like a prison, can you break it?

* Re: How can replace some word with a real new line in Emacs?
@ 2009-03-19  9:13 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2009-03-19  9:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mgx0018; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 18.03.2009 um 16:58 schrieb mgx0018:

>         In Emacs, What command can replace some word or symbol with
> a real newline.

M-x replace-string RET <some text> RET <same text> C-q C-j RET

--
Greetings

   Pete

Ce qui été compris n'existe plus.    (Paul Eluard)