all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Help:Enable mouse wheel
@ 2003-05-14  1:44 Jasen
       [not found] ` <mailman.6162.1052890544.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Jasen @ 2003-05-14  1:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Does anybody know how to enable mouse wheel on Linux? I'm using Redhat
8.0 and Emacs 21.2.

In emacs, mouse-wheel-mode is t but it doesn't response to mouse wheel
action.

Thanks,
Jansen

* Re: Help:Enable mouse wheel
       [not found] ` <mailman.6162.1052890544.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2003-05-14  3:03   ` Jasen
From: Jasen @ 2003-05-14  3:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Agree.  I did once before but got tons of junk mail.

Jasen

Dan Anderson wrote:
> You'd get /a lot/ more help if your reply-to was a real e-mail.
>
> -Dan

* Re: Help:Enable mouse wheel
From: Jasen @ 2003-05-14  3:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dan Anderson wrote:
> You'd get /a lot/ more help if your reply-to was a real e-mail.
>
> -Dan

* Re: Help:Enable mouse wheel
       [not found] ` <mailman.6162.1052890544.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2003-05-14  3:04   ` Jasen
From: Jasen @ 2003-05-14  3:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dan Anderson wrote:
> You'd get /a lot/ more help if your reply-to was a real e-mail.
>
> -Dan

* Re: Help:Enable mouse wheel
       [not found] ` <mailman.6162.1052890544.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2003-05-14  4:57 ` Paul D. Smith
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Paul D. Smith @ 2003-05-14  4:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

%% Jasen <xx@yy.zz> writes:

  j> Does anybody know how to enable mouse wheel on Linux? I'm using
  j> Redhat 8.0 and Emacs 21.2.

  j> In emacs, mouse-wheel-mode is t but it doesn't response to mouse
  j> wheel action.

Can you use the wheel with other applications?

If not you have to enable it on your X server.  Probably you've chosen a
simple PS/2 mouse in your X configuration, so the X server is not
looking for any sort of wheel motion.

You need to choose a mouse driver like ImPS/2, and enable ZAxixMapping;
for example from my /etc/X11/XF86Config file:

  Section "InputDevice"
          Identifier      "Configured Mouse"
          Driver          "mouse"
          Option          "CorePointer"
          Option          "Device"                "/dev/psaux"
          Option          "Protocol"              "ImPS/2"
  EndSection

Note this might not be right for your mouse, depending on what kind you
have.

Anyway, unless your wheel works for all other apps _except_ for Emacs,
for more info please post to a group or list that's related to Linux,
Red Hat, or XFree86 in particular: this isn't an Emacs issue.

 Paul D. Smith <psmith@gnu.org>          Find some GNU make tips at:

* Re: Help:Enable mouse wheel
       [not found] ` <mailman.6162.1052890544.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2003-05-14  5:26 ` Dan Anderson
From: Dan Anderson @ 2003-05-14  5:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

@ 2003-05-14  7:17     ` Dan Anderson
From: Dan Anderson @ 2003-05-14  7:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> Agree.  I did once before but got tons of junk mail.

Use a spam filter worth its salt and you won't have that problem.  I
subscribe to over a dozen listservs, etc., and don't see more then one
or two junkmails a day.  And even then I'm never sure whether it's
coming from my postings or my web page listing me as an admin.

-Dan

* Re: Help:Enable mouse wheel
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2003-05-14  7:22 ` Jiri Pejchal
From: Jiri Pejchal @ 2003-05-14  7:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jasen <xx@yy.zz> writes:

> Does anybody know how to enable mouse wheel on Linux? I'm using Redhat
> 8.0 and Emacs 21.2.
>
> In emacs, mouse-wheel-mode is t but it doesn't response to mouse wheel
> action.

Hi,

I had the same problem because I had in my .emacs
(setq mouse-wheel-mode t).

However

Setting this variable directly does not take effect;
use either M-x customize or the function `mouse-wheel-mode'

Now I have in .emacs (mouse-wheel-mode 1) and everything works fine.

--
Jiri Pejchal

* Re: Help:Enable mouse wheel
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2003-05-14 15:57 ` Francois Fleuret
From: Francois Fleuret @ 2003-05-14 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi people,

Jasen wrote on 14 May 2003 02:44:38 MET:

> Does anybody know how to enable mouse wheel on Linux? I'm using Redhat
> 8.0 and Emacs 21.2.

I personnaly have the following in my .emacs (with the standard
settings, which is mouse wheel behave like buttons 4 and 5):

,----
| ;; Wheel mouse moves up and down 2 lines
| (define-key global-map [mouse-4] (lambda () (interactive) (scroll-down 2)))
| (define-key global-map [mouse-5] (lambda () (interactive) (scroll-up 2)))
|
| ;; with shift it goes faster
| (define-key global-map [(shift mouse-4)] (lambda () (interactive) (scroll-down 50)))
| (define-key global-map [(shift mouse-5)] (lambda () (interactive) (scroll-up 50)))
|
| ;; with control it controls the buffer we are looking at
| (define-key global-map [(control mouse-4)] 'next-buffer)
| (define-key global-map [(control mouse-5)] 'bury-buffer)
`----

Regards,

FF