all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#26447: Packages are "available obsolete" after being installed
@ 2017-04-11 17:06 Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2017-04-11 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 26447; +Cc: bruce.connor.am

Package: emacs
Version: 25.2

mkdir /tmp/foo
HOME=/tmp/foo emacs
M-x list-packages RET
Select "ack" (eg)
  -> In the Help buffer:
     ack is an available package.
Hit "install", confirm "yes"
  -> The Help buffer changes to say:
     ack is an available obsolete package.

In the Packages buffer, the status has correctly updated to "installed".

* bug#26447: Packages are "available obsolete" after being installed
@ 2017-04-11 19:16 ` Artur Malabarba
From: Artur Malabarba @ 2017-04-11 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: 26447

In the Packages buffer, the status has correctly updated to "installed".

Well, technically, they're both right. :-)
The help buffer is still showing the details for the remote package (which
is obsolete now that you have it locally), while the Packages buffer is
showing the locally installed package (whose status is "installed").

But I understand the confusion. Perhaps,  after installing the package, the
help buffer should be changed to point to the local package.

* bug#26447: Packages are "available obsolete" after being installed
@ 2017-04-11 20:07   ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2017-04-11 20:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bruce.connor.am; +Cc: 26447

Artur Malabarba wrote:

> Perhaps, after installing the package, the help buffer should be
> changed to point to the local package.

That's what I expected to happen.
It's what happens (more or less) in Emacs 24.5.