all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Heime <heimeborgia@protonmail.com>
To: Heime <heimeborgia@protonmail.com>
Cc: Yuri Khan <yuri.v.khan@gmail.com>,
	Heime via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
	<help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: Functions which are mode dependent
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2024 22:16:22 +0000	[thread overview]

Sent with Proton Mail secure email.

On Friday, August 23rd, 2024 at 10:07 AM, Heime <heimeborgia@protonmail.com> wrote:

> On Friday, August 23rd, 2024 at 6:58 AM, Yuri Khan yuri.v.khan@gmail.com wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 19 Aug 2024 at 04:15, Heime heimeborgia@protonmail.com wrote:
> >
> > > I need some help understanding how to automatically enable some functionality
> > > when loading a file with some major mode.
> >
> > The major mode you’re customizing has a hook. As an end user, you add
> > your own function to that hook, and enable the functionality there.
> >
> > (As a package developer, you’d make your functionality use some
> > buffer-local variables. Your users would add their own functions to
> > mode hooks where they would set their own variable values and then
> > call your function or enable your minor mode.)
>

> How does one use the buffer local variable ? Is it to save the
> regexp which I sot immediately to imenu-generic-expression ?
>
> How would one do it ?

There is this possibility.

(defun tema-expr-elisp ()
  "Set `imenu-generic-expression` to match custom headings in the current buffer."
  (make-local-variable 'imenu-generic-expression)
  (setq imenu-generic-expression
        `(("DEFUN"
          ,(concat "^\\s-*"
                   "(\\(defun\\|define-minor-mode\\)\\s-+"