all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* comint-run, can't send interrupt to sub job
@ 2002-11-06 16:56 Robert Andersson
From: Robert Andersson @ 2002-11-06 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

hi all!

on one of our machines we can not do comint-interrupt-subjob or
comint-kill-subjob. this is a tad annoying. anyone out there that have
seen this problem and got a remedy for it? would love to hear from you
then :)

yours,
/robert

--
Systems Administrator
Swedish National Graduate School of Language Technology

* Re: comint-run, can't send interrupt to sub job
@ 2002-11-06 17:28 ` Robert Andersson
       [not found] ` <mailman.1036605091.30310.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Robert Andersson @ 2002-11-06 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

me> on one of our machines we can not do comint-interrupt-subjob or
me> comint-kill-subjob. this is a tad annoying. anyone out there that have
me> seen this problem and got a remedy for it? would love to hear from you
me> then :)

right i forgot to say that i am running emacs 21.1.1 on solaris 9. i
have noticed that comint-run does not send any signals to its sub
jobs... neither comint-kill-subjob or comint-quit-subjob seem to work.

i can do something like

        pkill -INT -U $USER pattern

to the sub job and get it to react. so i really speculate that this is
a comint-run problem.

although on another machine it works just fine, useing the same
version of os and emacs and running program.

there, now you have got some additional information about this problem
that i forgot the first time

yours,
/robert

--

@ 2002-11-06 17:33   ` Robert Andersson
From: Robert Andersson @ 2002-11-06 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

me> although on another machine it works just fine, useing the same
me> version of os and emacs and running program.

no, this was not correct. the other working machine is running solaris
7 not solaris 9. sorry.

/robert

--

@ 2002-11-06 17:35 ` Bill Benedetto
       [not found] ` <mailman.1036605091.30310.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Bill Benedetto @ 2002-11-06 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

>>> Robert Andersson writes:

  Robert> on one of our machines we can not do
  Robert> comint-interrupt-subjob or comint-kill-subjob. this is
  Robert> a tad annoying. anyone out there that have seen this
  Robert> problem and got a remedy for it? would love to hear
  Robert> from you then :)

We had a problem with 21.2 running on HP systems.  The fellow who
found it commented out the lines in s/hpux11.h relating to POSIX
to fix it.

I don't know if that helps at all but you never can tell...

- Bill
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
Bill Benedetto     <bbenedetto@goodyear.com>    The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Co.
I don't speak for Goodyear and they don't speak for me.  We're both happy.

@ 2002-11-06 18:39   ` Robert Andersson
From: Robert Andersson @ 2002-11-06 18:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Robert> on one of our machines we can not do
Robert> comint-interrupt-subjob or comint-kill-subjob. this is
Robert> a tad annoying. anyone out there that have seen this
Robert> problem and got a remedy for it? would love to hear
Robert> from you then :)

BB> We had a problem with 21.2 running on HP systems.  The fellow who
BB> found it commented out the lines in s/hpux11.h relating to POSIX
BB> to fix it.

BB> I don't know if that helps at all but you never can tell...

uhm, k thanks i tried what you suggested to uncomment the POSIX things
in sol2.h but without any luck.

i will report this bug to the emacs developers...

yours,
/robert

--

@ 2002-11-07  8:39   ` Klaus Zeitler
From: Klaus Zeitler @ 2002-11-07  8:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Robert> right i forgot to say that i am running emacs 21.1.1 on solaris 9.
    Robert> i have noticed that comint-run does not send any signals to its
    Robert> sub jobs... neither comint-kill-subjob or comint-quit-subjob seem
    Robert> to work.

if you evaluate (while t nil) in scratch buffer, can you interrupt with C-g?
My guess is you can't, there's a bug in polling in emacs 21.2, but that one is
already fixed in CVS.

|  Klaus Zeitler      Lucent Technologies  |
|  Email:             kzeitler@lucent.com  |
---
To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk. -- Thomas Edison