Eli Zaretskii writes: >> From: Cesar Crusius Cc: Cesar Crusius >> , jhanschoo@gmail.com, >> emacs-devel@gnu.org Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2018 18:37:23 -0700 >> >> I'm not sure what you mean by "want the decomposed >> >> characters >> >> to appear in the text," but when I am writing polytonic >> >> Greek and type the sequence above, all I want is to see an >> >> alpha+macron+acute in front of me. >> > On display or in the buffer? If on display, then Emacs >> > should already do that, provided that the font you are using >> > supports the composed characters. That's because by default >> > we have the auto-composition-mode turned on. I was >> > talking about what's in the buffer. I think that if the >> > user types a sequence of characters, Emacs should generally >> > put those characters unaltered in the buffer. If the user >> > wants a precomposed character, she could always type that >> > character's codepoint using "C-x 8 RET", no? But maybe I >> > don't know enough about the expectations of users who would >> > use greek-polytonic input method, maybe in some use cases >> > such automatic composition in the buffer is expected? >> Maybe we're talking about different things... (snip) > > More accurately, input methods normally read ASCII characters > and produce non-ASCII characters, whether accented or not. By > contrast, your original text: > >> For example, the sequence ++> acute accent> is not represented by any precomposed character, >> but appears frequently in critical editions of >> classics. greek-polytonic.el allows for the input of combining >> characters themselves, and substitutes such sequences with >> their Unicode-canonical precomposed equivalents if they exist; That's not mine, but the OP's text :) > led me to believe that your input method takes three non-ASCII > characters, alpha combining macron and combining acute accent, > and produce from them a single composed character which is their > NFC precomposed character. This is not what an input method > should do, IMO. > > However, I see now that no such NFC composition is being done > for non-ASCII input (right?), so I guess I misunderstood; sorry > about that. No need to be sorry about anything -- wonders of written communication. I think we're on the same page now. > (snip) > >> By the way, I'm all for greek.el supporting polytonic Greek >> natively and naturally. I don't remember what the problems >> were, but I gave up on it quickly when trying polytonic >> because it didn't work. > > I was talking about adding your input method to greek.el. Not /my/ input method, I'm just encouraging the OP to think about making this an improvement to greek.el instead of a separate package, as you suggested in your first e-mail :) Cheers, -- Cesar Crusius