all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* XOAUTH2 (GMail) auth source integration package now on github
@ 2018-08-14 16:38 Cesar Crusius
From: Cesar Crusius @ 2018-08-14 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: emacs-devel

Hi all,

It has been a long time, but I the auth-source-xoauth2 package has been finally open-sourced:

https://github.com/ccrusius/auth-source-xoauth2

I haven't had the time to add it to MELPA yet, but for those trying to find a way to interface with two-factor authentication on GMail it should be ready to go. I have been using it for some time to interface Gnus to GMail.

Best,

--
Cesar Crusius

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: XOAUTH2 (GMail) auth source integration package now on github
@ 2018-08-16  2:51 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2018-08-16  2:51 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Cesar Crusius; +Cc: emacs-devel

  > It has been a long time, but I the auth-source-xoauth2 package has been finally open-sourced:

  > https://github.com/ccrusius/auth-source-xoauth2

"Open source" is the slogan of rejecting our philosophy and our values.
What we advocate is free software, a totally different idea.

See https://gnu.org/philosophy/open-source-misses-the-point.html
for more explanation of the difference between free software and open
source.  See also https://thebaffler.com/salvos/the-meme-hustler for
Evgeny Morozov's article on the same point.

At the practical level, nearly all open source programs are free
software, but there are a few exceptions.  We cannot take for granted
that auth-source-xoauth2 is free software, merely knowing that it is
open source.

What is the license of the source code of auth-source-xoauth2?
I wonder if we want to integrate it with ELPA, or Emacs itself.

Are you the author of auth-source-xoauth2?

--
Dr Richard Stallman

* Re: XOAUTH2 (GMail) auth source integration package now on github
@ 2018-08-16 16:25   ` Cesar Crusius
From: Cesar Crusius @ 2018-08-16 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Richard Stallman; +Cc: Cesar Crusius, emacs-devel

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

>   > It has been a long time, but I the auth-source-xoauth2 package has
>   > been finally open-sourced:
>
>   > https://github.com/ccrusius/auth-source-xoauth2
>
> "Open source" is the slogan of rejecting our philosophy and our values.
> What we advocate is free software, a totally different idea.

Thanks for pointing that out. The project is indeed free software.

> (snip)
>
> What is the license of the source code of auth-source-xoauth2?
> I wonder if we want to integrate it with ELPA, or Emacs itself.

It is the license my employer recommends in its guidelines for non-work related projects, which need approval before releasing: Apache 2.0.

The manual procedure for making the package work is not simple, requiring one to navigate Google's "development console" in order to create keys and such. Before adding it to ELPA/Emacs I would think it would be better to have a "complete" solution that skips that step. The complete process is described here:

https://developers.google.com/identity/protocols/OAuth2

> Are you the author of auth-source-xoauth2?

Yes.

--

@ 2018-08-17  3:34     ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2018-08-17  3:34 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Cesar Crusius; +Cc: cesar.crusius, emacs-devel

  > It is the license my employer recommends in its guidelines for
  > non-work related projects, which need approval before releasing:
  > Apache 2.0.

It's not the best choice, but it is ok; it does not cause any
specific problem.  See https://gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html
and https://gnu.org/licenses/license-recommendations.html.
--
Dr Richard Stallman

From: Richard Stallman @ 2018-08-17  3:34 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Cesar Crusius; +Cc: cesar.crusius, emacs-devel

  > The manual procedure for making the package work is not simple,
  > requiring one to navigate Google's "development console" in order
  > to create keys and such.

I have to guess at what that means, but I suspect this is an
unacceptable problem.  I think the dependence on Google needs to be
eliminated entirely before we can have this in GNU.  Most Google
services require the user to run nonfree software -- does this?  For
moral reasons we can't recommend that people run that.

Also, the conditions for a Google account are unacceptable.  For
moral reasons we can't recommend that people make those accounts.

--
Dr Richard Stallman

* Re: XOAUTH2 (GMail) auth source integration package now on github
@ 2018-08-17 15:04       ` Cesar Crusius
From: Cesar Crusius @ 2018-08-17 15:04 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Richard Stallman; +Cc: Cesar Crusius, emacs-devel

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

>   > The manual procedure for making the package work is not simple,
>   > requiring one to navigate Google's "development console" in order
>   > to create keys and such.
>
> I have to guess at what that means, but I suspect this is an
> unacceptable problem.  I think the dependence on Google needs to be
> eliminated entirely before we can have this in GNU.  Most Google
> services require the user to run nonfree software -- does this?  For
> moral reasons we can't recommend that people run that.
>
> Also, the conditions for a Google account are unacceptable.  For
> moral reasons we can't recommend that people make those accounts.

Yes -- for a variety of reasons, I don't think this is a good candidate for inclusion in ELPA or Emacs itself, but should stay as a standalone package (added to MELPA whenever I have the time or somebody else does it).

Strictly speaking, there is no dependency on Google at all in the package: it should work with any "XOAUTH2-compliant server." In practice, however, Gmail is the only reason people need support for XOAUTH2 authentication mechanisms, so it's a moot point.

Best,

--

@ 2018-08-18  3:15         ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2018-08-18  3:15 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Cesar Crusius; +Cc: cesar.crusius, emacs-devel

  > Yes -- for a variety of reasons, I don't think this is a good
  > candidate for inclusion in ELPA or Emacs itself, but should stay
  > as a standalone package (added to MELPA whenever I have the time
  > or somebody else does it).

Please don't add it to MELPA if it has a nontechnical problem!

  > Strictly speaking, there is no dependency on Google at all in the
  > package: it should work with any "XOAUTH2-compliant server." In
  > practice, however, Gmail is the only reason people need support
  > for XOAUTH2 authentication mechanisms, so it's a moot point.

That might make a significant difference.  I thought you were saying
that this program itself depended on Google, but now it appears I
misunderstood that.

--
Dr Richard Stallman