all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#7366: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function 'alloca'
@ 2010-11-10 15:40 Dr. David Kirkby
From: Dr. David Kirkby @ 2010-11-10 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 7366

When building on Solaris 10 SPARC, I see several messages like this:

/rootpool2/local/kirkby/emacs-23.2/lib-src/emacsclient.c:1290:17: warning:
incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function 'alloca'

Note the man page for Solaris says its defined in <alloca.h>

Here's part of the man page

kirkby@t2:64 ~$ man alloca

Standard C Library Functions                           malloc(3C)

NAME
      malloc, calloc, free, memalign, realloc,  valloc,  alloca  -
      memory allocator

SYNOPSIS
      #include <stdlib.h>

      void *malloc(size_t size);

      void *calloc(size_t nelem, size_t elsize);

      void free(void *ptr);

      void *memalign(size_t alignment, size_t size);

      void *realloc(void *ptr, size_t size);

      void *valloc(size_t size);

      #include <alloca.h>

      void *alloca(size_t size);

DESCRIPTION
      The  malloc()  and  free()  functions  provide   a   simple,
      general-purpose  memory  allocation  package.  The  malloc()
      function returns a pointer to a block of at least size bytes
      suitably  aligned for any use. If the space assigned by mal-
      loc() is overrun, the results are undefined.

Dave

* bug#7366: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function 'alloca'
@ 2010-11-11  9:59 ` Lawrence Mitchell
From: Lawrence Mitchell @ 2010-11-11  9:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bug-gnu-emacs

Dr. David Kirkby wrote:

> When building on Solaris 10 SPARC, I see several messages like this:

> /rootpool2/local/kirkby/emacs-23.2/lib-src/emacsclient.c:1290:17:
> warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function
> alloca'

I suspect this is the same as bug#6170
(http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=6170) which is
fixed in the trunk release, however the fix has not propagated
back into the emacs-23 branch.

Lawrence
--
Lawrence Mitchell <wence@gmx.li>

* bug#7366: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function 'alloca'
@ 2010-11-13 17:23   ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2010-11-13 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lawrence Mitchell; +Cc: bug-gnu-emacs

Lawrence Mitchell <wence@gmx.li> writes:

>> /rootpool2/local/kirkby/emacs-23.2/lib-src/emacsclient.c:1290:17:
>> warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function
>> alloca'
>
> I suspect this is the same as bug#6170
> (http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=6170) which is
> fixed in the trunk release, however the fix has not propagated
> back into the emacs-23 branch.

I just backported it.  Thanks for the timely reminder.