all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Gnus mail splitting / Gmane / gnu.emacs.help / mailing list
@ 2018-11-02 16:27 Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2018-11-02 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Now that one is disencouraged to use the
newsgroup (gnu.emacs.help) because of the
threading issue, and newcomers cannot use Gmane
(gmane.emacs.help) because of the
authentication issue, here is how one can do it
with Gnus to get away with at least half the
self-respect intact.

First add an nnml group. Here, I called it
mail.geh. ("geh" for gnu.emacs.help, no doubt.)

Then add this to split mail from the mailing
list to that group:

(setq nnmail-split-methods
      '(
        ("mail.geh" "\\(From\\|To\\|Cc\\):.*help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org")
        ;; add more here the same way if need be
        ("mail.misc"      "")
      ))

Maybe you would like to killfile, or rather
downscore which is recommended and much better,
maybe you'd like to do that to yourself so you
don't see your own posts.

You can still bring them up by entering the
group and do `gnus-summary-insert-old-articles'
(I think the original key for that is `/ o';
I have it just `o') which ignores the scoring.

In a way that doesn't make sense but it can
nevertheless be used in this particular
situation. There are other ways to do it,
as well.

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573

* Re: Gnus mail splitting / Gmane / gnu.emacs.help / mailing list
       [not found] <mailman.3299.1541176272.1284.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2018-11-03 12:18 ` Nuno Silva
From: Nuno Silva @ 2018-11-03 12:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2018-11-02, Emanuel Berg wrote:

> Now that one is disencouraged to use the
> newsgroup (gnu.emacs.help) because of the
> threading issue, and newcomers cannot use Gmane
> (gmane.emacs.help) because of the
> authentication issue, here is how one can do it
> with Gnus to get away with at least half the
> self-respect intact.
>
> First add an nnml group. Here, I called it
> mail.geh. ("geh" for gnu.emacs.help, no doubt.)
>
> Then add this to split mail from the mailing
> list to that group:
>
> (setq nnmail-split-methods
>       '(
>         ("mail.geh" "\\(From\\|To\\|Cc\\):.*help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org")
>         ;; add more here the same way if need be
>         ("mail.misc"      "")
>       ))
>
> Maybe you would like to killfile, or rather
> downscore which is recommended and much better,
> maybe you'd like to do that to yourself so you
> don't see your own posts.
>
> You can still bring them up by entering the
> group and do `gnus-summary-insert-old-articles'
> (I think the original key for that is `/ o';
> I have it just `o') which ignores the scoring.
>
> In a way that doesn't make sense but it can
> nevertheless be used in this particular
> situation. There are other ways to do it,
> as well.

I'd check whether Gnus can be slightly modified or configured to send
replies to specific newsgroups by e-mail instead. I have never done
something like this myself, but it might be possible.

--
Nuno Silva

From: Nuno Silva @ 2018-11-03 12:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2018-11-02, Emanuel Berg wrote:

> (setq nnmail-split-methods
>       '(
>         ("mail.geh" "\\(From\\|To\\|Cc\\):.*help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org")
>         ;; add more here the same way if need be
>         ("mail.misc"      "")
>       ))

There's also the "List-Id:" header, which should match only messages
that are sent through the mailing list.

But whether you want to filter based on From/To/Cc or List-Id depends on
what you want to happen and on your personal taste.  (With List-Id, if
somebody addresses a message to the list *and* to you, the rule should
only match the copy you get from the list).

--
Nuno Silva

@ 2018-11-03 15:22   ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2018-11-03 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Nuno Silva wrote:

> There's also the "List-Id:" header, which should match only messages
> that are sent through the mailing list.

You mean like this?

    (setq nnmail-split-methods
          '(
            ("mail.geh"  "List-Id: Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor <help-gnu-emacs.gnu.org>")
            ;; etc.
            ("mail.misc" "")
          ))

Yeah, maybe that's better.

However even if the regexp fails to catch
a mail I should still get them in mail.misc.
But actually I haven't received any mails from
the list!

Maybe it is some Gnus configuration that
deletes them as duplicates, as I already have
them in the newsgroups? However I *do* get the
same stuff in both gmane.emacs.help and
gnu.emacs.help so that doesn't make
sense either!

I did send a mail to

but no reply there either.

PS. I continue to use gnu.emacs.help until this
    is solved. Sorry for breaking threads. DS.

--

@ 2018-11-04 14:25     ` Nuno Silva
From: Nuno Silva @ 2018-11-04 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2018-11-03, Emanuel Berg wrote:

> However even if the regexp fails to catch
> a mail I should still get them in mail.misc.
> But actually I haven't received any mails from
> the list!

How did you subscribe to the list? Any chance you're subscribed to the
"no mail" variant (if that option is available for this mailing list)?

> I did send a mail to

> but no reply there either.

As in a message to help-gnu-emacs-request@gnu.org with the subject
'help'? If you did not get any reply, then I guess something *is* wrong.

> PS. I continue to use gnu.emacs.help until this
>     is solved. Sorry for breaking threads. DS.

I prefer the USENET approach, so I will be doing the same. Apologies for
the threading breakage.

--
Nuno Silva

@ 2018-11-05 20:49       ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2018-11-05 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Nuno Silva wrote:

> How did you subscribe to the list? Any chance
> you're subscribed to the "no mail" variant
> (if that option is available for this mailing
> list)?

I sent I mail using the "List-Subscribe:" header,

    <mailto:help-gnu-emacs-request@gnu.org?subject=subscribe>

I got a reply to confirm, and did so.
Actually since then, I have gotten a couple of
mails from the list, but not as many as I've
seen in the newsgroup (Usenet & Gmane).

Some have ended up in my dedicated nnml group,
but I got one in my main group, so the
"List-Id:" header is perhaps not always there -
as it wasn't, in this case.

However, there is something wrong with my own
setup because, as said, even if I got the
regexp (not a plain string) fails, I should get
the rest to the fallthru case.

>> I did send a mail to List-Help:
>> <mailto:help-gnu-emacs-request@gnu.org?subject=help>
>> but no reply there either.
>
> As in a message to
> help-gnu-emacs-request@gnu.org with the
> subject 'help'? If you did not get any reply,
> then I guess something *is* wrong.

I didn't get (see) anything and today I tried
to unsubscribe and I didn't get (see) anything
this time either :)