all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Radu Butoi <rbutoi@gmail.com>
To: Gregor Zattler <telegraph@gmx.net>, help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
Subject: Re: MIME issue: can't set encoding on mail or mml-to-mime
Date: Wed, 06 May 2020 18:34:08 -0400	[thread overview]

Hi Gregor,

Gregor Zattler <telegraph@gmx.net> writes:

> Hi Radu, emacs users,
> * Radu Butoi <rbutoi@gmail.com> [2020-05-05; 17:39]:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> Following the message and MIME manuals, I want to change the
>> `Content-Transfer-Encoding` on outgoing mail to quoted-printable [1].
>
> My understanding is that quoted-printable is used if the
> message for some reason does not fit the rfc.  So if you
> send an email with lines exeeding the length limit of the
> rfc your helpful MUA will encode your email.  This email
> hopefully proves this point.
>

> How about a paragraph which consists only of a single long line which is much longer than the maximum length the RFC allows for transportation?  Surely the MUA will reformat this somehow?  This line length limit might be well above 1000 charactzers, so we have to fill this space somehow.  How about repetition: [...]

Yes, that did it, thank you! I feel pretty silly right now. I tested sending emails > 78 characters, but not over the absolute limit of 998 (from RFC5322:)

> Each line of characters MUST be no more than 998 characters, and SHOULD be no more than 78 characters, excluding the CRLF.

I've now set up my message-mode to not use auto-fill-mode but visual-fill-column-mode, in order to soft wrap rather than hard wrap.

To answer your other email:

> but isn't this because you send paragraphes as single long
> lines?  Why do you need the encoding changed?

I was trying to manually do so, not knowing it's done automatically.

Thanks a lot for your help and sticking with this!
-Radu