all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#11000: 24.0.94; Caching '--dired' is a bad idea
@ 2012-03-12 11:45 Leo
From: Leo @ 2012-03-12 11:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 11000

If I change insert-directory-program from one supports --dired to one
not, I can no longer open any directory in dired-mode. For example on
OSX, I have the `ls' from BSD and another one from GNU coreutils
installed as `gls', not to mention opening remote directories.

I think caching --dired switch in dired-use-ls-dired is a bad idea.

Leo

* bug#11000: 24.0.94; Caching '--dired' is a bad idea
@ 2012-03-12 16:47 ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2012-03-12 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo; +Cc: 11000

Leo wrote:

> If I change insert-directory-program from one supports --dired to one
> not, I can no longer open any directory in dired-mode. For example on
> OSX, I have the `ls' from BSD and another one from GNU coreutils
> installed as `gls', not to mention opening remote directories.
>
> I think caching --dired switch in dired-use-ls-dired is a bad idea.

Not caching it is a worse idea.
There should simple be a note in the doc of insert-directory-program,
saying that if you change this, you may need to change
dired-use-ls-dired. If insert-directory-program were a defcustom
(currently, it is not even a user option), it could have a :set function
that makes the necessary change for you.

* bug#11000: 24.0.94; Caching '--dired' is a bad idea
@ 2012-03-13 10:47   ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2012-03-13 10:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 11000

On 2012-03-13 00:47 +0800, Glenn Morris wrote:
> Not caching it is a worse idea.

Could you elaborate on this point? I really would like to know.

> There should simple be a note in the doc of insert-directory-program,
> saying that if you change this, you may need to change
> dired-use-ls-dired. If insert-directory-program were a defcustom
> (currently, it is not even a user option), it could have a :set
> function that makes the necessary change for you.

I agree.

Leo

* bug#11000: 24.0.94; Caching '--dired' is a bad idea
@ 2012-03-13 23:47     ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2012-03-13 23:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo; +Cc: 11000

Leo wrote:

> On 2012-03-13 00:47 +0800, Glenn Morris wrote:
>> Not caching it is a worse idea.
>
> Could you elaborate on this point? I really would like to know.

Just that it sounds very inefficient for everybody to have test what
options `ls' supports on every invocation, just because you are doing
something that sounds frankly rather odd.

There are many places in Emacs that test for features in external
commands the first time only, then make the IMO reasonable assumption
that the command isn't going to change underneath.
rmail-movemail-variant-in-use, find-exec-terminator, etc.

* bug#11000: 24.0.94; Caching '--dired' is a bad idea
@ 2013-03-24 12:01       ` Leo Liu
From: Leo Liu @ 2013-03-24 12:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 11000-done

Not a bug.