all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* some other questions from a VIM user
@ 2003-04-20  8:31 wang yin
From: wang yin @ 2003-04-20  8:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thank you all who answer my question about the vi "o" command. :)

I'm reading the book "Emacs in 24 hours" and the info pages eagerly now.
But I must get my current programming problems solved.

I think post questions here can help me into the love of Emacs soon.
Now I have new questions:

1. How can I move to the beginning of the first non-blank character fast
in Emacs?

2. Why does my Meta key stopped functionning in this session? M-x can't
work now! I don't know what's special I have done. I just tried to bind
the open-line-a-la-vi function to C-j just now. Now M-e, M-a, M-x,
M-backspace, C-M-f, ... they don't work now. I know the problem will
be solved in my next run. But I want to know when this should happen?

Thank you and I'll go on reading my book :)
(fill-region)...
Oh, sorry. my Meta key can't work for me. So I don't know how to
break the lines... I break them manually :p

--
Wang Yin
DA Lab, Tsinghua University,

* Re: some other questions from a VIM user
@ 2003-04-20  8:41 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-04-20  8:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

wang yin <wy@wangyin.com> writes:

> 1. How can I move to the beginning of the first non-blank character fast
> in Emacs?

M-m runs the command back-to-indentation

> 2. Why does my Meta key stopped functionning in this session? M-x can't
> work now! I don't know what's special I have done. I just tried to bind
> the open-line-a-la-vi function to C-j just now. Now M-e, M-a, M-x,
> M-backspace, C-M-f, ... they don't work now. I know the problem will
> be solved in my next run.

Try ESC x instead of M-x.

But maybe it's easiest to restart Emacs to see if the problem
persists.  When the problem is reproducible, then it makes sense to
look at why it happened.
--
file-error; Data: (Opening input file no such file or directory ~/.signature)

* Re: some other questions from a VIM user
@ 2003-04-23 14:51 ` kgold
From: kgold @ 2003-04-23 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

wang yin <wy@wangyin.com> writes:

> 1. How can I move to the beginning of the first non-blank character
> fast in Emacs?

M-x forward-whitespace

Bonus:
	M-x apropos forward

gives you a list of all the "forward" functions.

> 2. Why does my Meta key stopped functionning in this session? M-x
> can't work now! I don't know what's special I have done. I just
> tried to bind the open-line-a-la-vi function to C-j just now. Now
> M-e, M-a, M-x, M-backspace, C-M-f, ... they don't work now. I know
> the problem will be solved in my next run. But I want to know when
> this should happen?

What happens when you type C-h k M-e?  What is M-e bound to?

Ken Goldman   kgold@watson.ibm.com   914-784-7646