all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Fontset and customize-face
@ 2003-05-08  1:59 Wang Yin
From: Wang Yin @ 2003-05-08  1:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I've setup some fontsets for use in my .Xdefaults file. Because I must
use different fonts for different charsets. For example, I must use
iso10646 fonts for the IPA characters in the dictionary package, use
GBK fonts for Chinese characters:

Emacs.Fontset-0:-adobe-courier-medium-r-*-*-14-*-*-*-*-*-fontset-song,\
	chinese-gb2312:-*-simsun-medium-r-*--16-*-*-*-*-*-gbk-0,\
	mule-unicode-0100-24ff:-misc-fixed-medium-r-normal--16-*-*-*-*-*-iso10646-1

But I really want to use different fonts for different syntax
elements, so I use customize-face to set different font, colors,
... for them.

But once I customized my fonts and colors, I can't use fontsets. It
seems I can't use both.

But I must use both mechanisms. How can I do that?
Thanks.

--
Wang Yin
DA Lab, Tsinghua University,

* Re: Fontset and customize-face
@ 2003-05-08  7:39 ` Oliver Scholz
From: Oliver Scholz @ 2003-05-08  7:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wang Yin <wang-y01@mails.tsinghua.edu.cn> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I've setup some fontsets for use in my .Xdefaults file. Because I must
> use different fonts for different charsets. For example, I must use
> iso10646 fonts for the IPA characters in the dictionary package, use
> GBK fonts for Chinese characters:
>
> Emacs.Fontset-0:-adobe-courier-medium-r-*-*-14-*-*-*-*-*-fontset-song,\
> 	chinese-gb2312:-*-simsun-medium-r-*--16-*-*-*-*-*-gbk-0,\
> 	mule-unicode-0100-24ff:-misc-fixed-medium-r-normal--16-*-*-*-*-*-iso10646-1
>
> But I really want to use different fonts for different syntax
> elements, so I use customize-face to set different font, colors,
> ... for them.
>
> But once I customized my fonts and colors, I can't use fontsets. It
> seems I can't use both.
>
> But I must use both mechanisms. How can I do that?
> Thanks.
[...]

Does it work to specify the name of the fontset
(i. e. "fontset-song") in the "Font Family:" field in the
customization buffer?

    Oliver
--
19 Floréal an 211 de la Révolution
Liberté, Egalité, Fraternité!

* Re: Fontset and customize-face
@ 2003-05-08 13:32   ` Wang Yin
From: Wang Yin @ 2003-05-08 13:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

No. It doesn't work. The customization inserted the following text
into my .emacs file:

(custom-set-faces
  ;; custom-set-faces was added by Custom -- don't edit or cut/paste it!
 '(default ((t (:stipple nil
        :background "oldlace"
        :foreground "black"
        :inverse-video nil
        :box nil
        :strike-through nil
        :overline nil
        :underline nil
        :slant normal
        :weight normal
        :height 140
        :width normal
        :family "fontset-song")))))

And I can't change fontset. If I use describe-fontset I'll get the
error:

"describe-fontset: Current frame is using font, not fontset"

--

@ 2003-05-08 15:32     ` Oliver Scholz
From: Oliver Scholz @ 2003-05-08 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wang Yin <wang-y01@mails.tsinghua.edu.cn> writes:

> No. It doesn't work. The customization inserted the following text
> into my .emacs file:
>
> (custom-set-faces
>   ;; custom-set-faces was added by Custom -- don't edit or cut/paste it!
>   ;; Your init file should contain only one such instance.
>  '(default ((t (:stipple nil

[...]

>         :family "fontset-song")))))
>
> And I can't change fontset. If I use describe-fontset I'll get the
> error:
>
> "describe-fontset: Current frame is using font, not fontset"
[...]

Sorry, I thought it is possible to specify a fontset via customize (I
thought I have read that in a comment somewhere), but it seems that it
is not.

Allright, this is really hairy. Please try the following:

1. Customize the default face and /disable/ the "Font Family"
   check-box, then save and restart Emacs. If `custom-set-faces' does
   not specify a family, then Emacs should take the family from the
   fontset specified in .Xresources. (Provided that you had this
   already working.)

2. For all other faces it should be possible to specify a font family.

   (If you really need a different fontset (not simpy a different
   font) for certain faces, please tell. But I think you have to
   resort to Lisp in that case.)

    Oliver