all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Why does my IPA characters displayed as iso-ascii ?
@ 2003-05-23  5:32 Wang Yin
From: Wang Yin @ 2003-05-23  5:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I don't have iso-ascii library loaded. But why does my
dictionary entries looks like:

Dictionary \Dic"tion*a*ry\, n.; pl. Dictionaries. [Cf. F.
   dictionnaire. See Diction.]

Example \Ex*am"ple\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Exampled; p. pr. &
   vb. n. Exampling.]

The IPA characters are converted to ascii, why??

* Re: Why does my IPA characters displayed as iso-ascii ?
@ 2003-05-23  7:00 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-05-23  7:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wang Yin <wang-y01@mails.tsinghua.edu.cn> writes:

> The IPA characters are converted to ascii, why??

There is latin1-disp which can do this.  What happens when you hit
C-u C-x = on such an IPA character that's displayed as ascii?
--
This line is not blank.

* Re: Why does my IPA characters displayed as iso-ascii ?
@ 2003-05-23  8:35 ` Oliver Scholz
From: Oliver Scholz @ 2003-05-23  8:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wang Yin <wang-y01@mails.tsinghua.edu.cn> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I don't have iso-ascii library loaded. But why does my
> dictionary entries looks like:
>
> Dictionary \Dic"tion*a*ry\, n.; pl. Dictionaries. [Cf. F.
>    dictionnaire. See Diction.]
>
> Example \Ex*am"ple\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Exampled; p. pr. &
>    vb. n. Exampling.]
>
> The IPA characters are converted to ascii, why??

Is this the same problem like in the other thread?

If so, is this the output of dict in an eshell? If not, how do you get
that output? Are you sure that dict actually sends IPA-characters?

    Oliver
--
4 Prairial an 211 de la Révolution
Liberté, Egalité, Fraternité!

* Re: Why does my IPA characters displayed as iso-ascii ?
@ 2003-05-23 11:24   ` wang yin
From: wang yin @ 2003-05-23 11:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

That problem in my former thread is solved by a mixed fontset and I
can display the IPA characters correctly then.

And this time I made a mistake!

My dictd didn't send IPA characters for english words in web1913
dictionary. IPA characters only appear in eng-fra dictionary.

I'm sorry.