all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Dead circumflex?
@ 2009-08-02  9:35 Merciadri Luca
From: Merciadri Luca @ 2009-08-02  9:35 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

* Re: Dead circumflex?
@ 2009-08-02  9:37 ` Merciadri Luca
From: Merciadri Luca @ 2009-08-02  9:37 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Aug 2, 11:35 am, Merciadri Luca <Luca.Mercia...@student.ulg.ac.be>
wrote:

Read ``it does **not** work through emacs'' rather than ``it works
through emacs'' please.

* Re: Dead circumflex?
@ 2009-08-02 11:43   ` B. T. Raven
From: B. T. Raven @ 2009-08-02 11:43 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Merciadri Luca wrote:
> On Aug 2, 11:35 am, Merciadri Luca <Luca.Mercia...@student.ulg.ac.be>
> wrote:
>
> Read ``it does **not** work through emacs'' rather than ``it works
> through emacs'' please.

If you type C-x ret C-\ and then latin-1-postfix you will select an
input method appropriate for the major western European languages. To
get circumflexed vowels (â ê î ô û) type the vowel and then the caret.
See minibuffer after typing vowel (or other character admitting
diacritical).

Ed

* Re: Dead circumflex?
@ 2009-08-02 19:45     ` Merciadri Luca
From: Merciadri Luca @ 2009-08-02 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

* Re: Dead circumflex?
@ 2009-08-02 19:47     ` Merciadri Luca
From: Merciadri Luca @ 2009-08-02 19:47 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

* Re: Dead circumflex?
@ 2009-08-02 20:19       ` B. T. Raven
From: B. T. Raven @ 2009-08-02 20:19 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Merciadri Luca wrote:

> "B. T. Raven" <nihil@nihilo.net> writes:
>
> Okay. I finally found another alternative to change the input
> method. I tried *all* solutions, but it always show <dead-circumflex>
> is undefined.
>
> What can I do?
>
> Thanks.

Does it have any thing to do with scim, whatever that is?:

Try changing your keyboard to French Candadian, or better yet, UK or US.
  Anyway, it seems not to be an Emacs problem but a keyboard one caused
by the OS.

Ed

Btw, C-x RET C-\ should work if you have not reassigned key bindings.
RET is the Enter key.

* Re: Dead circumflex?
@ 2009-08-02 21:06         ` Merciadri Luca
From: Merciadri Luca @ 2009-08-02 21:06 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

* Re: Dead circumflex?
@ 2009-08-02 21:09         ` Merciadri Luca
From: Merciadri Luca @ 2009-08-02 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

* Re: Dead circumflex?
@ 2009-08-02 23:06           ` B. T. Raven
From: B. T. Raven @ 2009-08-02 23:06 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Merciadri Luca wrote:

> "B. T. Raven" <nihil@nihilo.net> writes:
>
> I finally desinstalled SCIM, and the problem is still the same. I do
> not know what I could still do to make it work. Furthermore, on my
> other PC, which is not a laptop, and which has not SCIM installed, the
> problem is the same.
> With my laptop, emacs is the only application where I cannot use
> circumflex accent.
>
> - --
> Merciadri Luca

Hmm. Maybe scim modified something. Is there anything in your .emacs
that looks suspicious. Have you discovered why C-x Ret C-\ does not
work? Is this on Linux? Is there an Xmodmap keyboard config around
anywhere? If you chose latin-1-postfix, what does e^ produce other than
the non existent deadkey warning. I assume that the caret key on
keyboard matches where it should be on the Fr layout.  If you can get
anything in by hook or crook, does C-x = show something like this,
mutatis mutandis:

Char: ê (2282, #o4352, #x8ea, file ...) point=2 of 5152 (0%) column=0
Char: ^ (94, #o136, #x5e) point=2 of 5154 (0%) column=0

This is on ver 22.3

If I install a Fr keyboard on w32 (2000) and with input method
latin-1-postfix, because of the French keyboard, input works backwards,
i.e press caret (to right of p) and then e, produces circumflex e but it
is still reported as:

Char: ê (2282, #o4352, #x8ea, file ...)

Same behavior with dieresis or umlaut: dead key invisible until next key
pressed. In fact I can find no backslash on the French keyboard at all.

Another possibility is to set the keyboard to English via the OS and
then chose one of the French input methods via Mule. That way you would
at least have a backslash. Most if not all vowels with diacritics are on
the number keys.

* Re: Dead circumflex?
@ 2009-08-03  7:46             ` Merciadri Luca
From: Merciadri Luca @ 2009-08-03  7:46 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

"B. T. Raven" <nihil@nihilo.net> writes:

> Hmm. Maybe scim modified something. Is there anything in your .emacs
> that looks suspicious.
Not really.
> Have you discovered why C-x Ret C-\ does not
> work?
No.
> Is this on Linux?
Yes, both Debian and Ubuntu.
> Is there an Xmodmap keyboard config around
> anywhere?
No.
> If you chose latin-1-postfix, what does e^ produce other
> than the non existent deadkey warning.
I cannot choose latin1-postfix. Note that I have two computers:
- - On the laptop, running Ubuntu, the circumflex is well placed under
all the other applications. The only app where it does not work is
Emacs.
- - On the other, running Debian, the circumflex is always put near the
letter, but never at its top, as I want it to be.

On both computers, Emacs treats it as <dead-circumflex> being
undefined.

> I assume that the caret key on
> keyboard matches where it should be on the Fr layout.  If you can get
> anything in by hook or crook, does C-x = show something like this,
> mutatis mutandis:
>
> Char: ê (2282, #o4352, #x8ea, file ...) point=2 of 5152 (0%) column=0
> Char: ^ (94, #o136, #x5e) point=2 of 5154 (0%) column=0

It shows info for all the characters, but as I cannot type the
circumflex in Emacs, I can't figure out which message it could display
for it.

> This is on ver 22.3
>
> If I install a Fr keyboard on w32 (2000) and with input method
> latin-1-postfix, because of the French keyboard, input works
> backwards, i.e press caret (to right of p) and then e, produces
> circumflex e but it is still reported as:
>
> Char: ê (2282, #o4352, #x8ea, file ...)
Lucky you. Ok.

> Same behavior with dieresis or umlaut: dead key invisible until next
> key pressed. In fact I can find no backslash on the French keyboard at
> all.
I have the same problem with dieresis or umlaut. It then shows,
e.g. for dieresis: <S-dead-dieresis> not defined.

> Another possibility is to set the keyboard to English via the OS and
> then chose one of the French input methods via Mule. That way you
> would at least have a backslash. Most if not all vowels with
> diacritics are on the number keys.
I tried it. The situation keeps being the same. Note that, as I said
above, I can type a backlash, and other strange characters, but
dieresis and circumflex accent do not work.

- --
Merciadri Luca
client, please contact me.

* Re: Dead circumflex?
@ 2009-08-04  9:25               ` Merciadri Luca
From: Merciadri Luca @ 2009-08-04  9:25 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 3 août, 09:46, Merciadri Luca <Luca.Mercia...@student.ulg.ac.be>
wrote:

> "B. T. Raven" <ni...@nihilo.net> writes:
>
> > Hmm. Maybe scim modified something. Is there anything in your .emacs
> > that looks suspicious.
> Not really.
> > Have you discovered why C-x Ret C-\ does not
> > work?
> No.
> > Is this on Linux?
>
> Yes, both Debian and Ubuntu.> Is there an Xmodmap keyboard config around
> > anywhere?
> No.
> > If you chose latin-1-postfix, what does e^ produce other
> > than the non existent deadkey warning.
>
> I cannot choose latin1-postfix. Note that I have two computers:
> - - On the laptop, running Ubuntu, the circumflex is well placed under
> all the other applications. The only app where it does not work is
> Emacs.
> - - On the other, running Debian, the circumflex is always put near the
> letter, but never at its top, as I want it to be.
>
> On both computers, Emacs treats it as <dead-circumflex> being
> undefined.
>
> > I assume that the caret key on
> > keyboard matches where it should be on the Fr layout.  If you can get
> > anything in by hook or crook, does C-x = show something like this,
> > mutatis mutandis:
>
> > Char: ê (2282, #o4352, #x8ea, file ...) point=2 of 5152 (0%) column=0
> > Char: ^ (94, #o136, #x5e) point=2 of 5154 (0%) column=0
>
> It shows info for all the characters, but as I cannot type the
> circumflex in Emacs, I can't figure out which message it could display
> for it.
>

> > This is on ver 22.3
>
> > If I install a Fr keyboard on w32 (2000) and with input method
> > latin-1-postfix, because of the French keyboard, input works
> > backwards, i.e press caret (to right of p) and then e, produces
> > circumflex e but it is still reported as:
>
> > Char: ê (2282, #o4352, #x8ea, file ...)
>
> Lucky you. Ok.
>

> > Same behavior with dieresis or umlaut: dead key invisible until next
> > key pressed. In fact I can find no backslash on the French keyboard at
> > all.
>
> I have the same problem with dieresis or umlaut. It then shows,
> e.g. for dieresis: <S-dead-dieresis> not defined.
>

> > Another possibility is to set the keyboard to English via the OS and
> > then chose one of the French input methods via Mule. That way you
> > would at least have a backslash. Most if not all vowels with
> > diacritics are on the number keys.
>
> I tried it. The situation keeps being the same. Note that, as I said
> above, I can type a backlash, and other strange characters, but
> dieresis and circumflex accent do not work.
>
> - --
> Merciadri Luca
> Seehttp://www.student.montefiore.ulg.ac.be/~merciadri/
> I use PGP. If there is an incompatibility problem with your mail
> client, please contact me.

Any idea?

* Re: Dead circumflex?
@ 2009-08-05  3:46                 ` B. T. Raven
From: B. T. Raven @ 2009-08-05  3:46 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Merciadri Luca wrote:
> [...]
>>> key pressed. In fact I can find no backslash on the French keyboard at
>>> all.
>> I have the same problem with dieresis or umlaut. It then shows,
>> e.g. for dieresis: <S-dead-dieresis> not defined.
>>

>>> Another possibility is to set the keyboard to English via the OS and
>>> then chose one of the French input methods via Mule. That way you
>>> would at least have a backslash. Most if not all vowels with
>>> diacritics are on the number keys.
>> I tried it. The situation keeps being the same. Note that, as I said
>> above, I can type a backlash, and other strange characters, but
>> dieresis and circumflex accent do not work.
>>
>> - --
>> Merciadri Luca
>> Seehttp://www.student.montefiore.ulg.ac.be/~merciadri/
>> I use PGP. If there is an incompatibility problem with your mail

Force the OS to remap the scancodes from the keyboard using Xmodmap on
Linux or Keytweak on MS (ver 2000 or later).

* Re: Dead circumflex?
@ 2009-08-05 10:08                   ` Merciadri Luca
From: Merciadri Luca @ 2009-08-05 10:08 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

* Re: Dead circumflex?
@ 2009-08-05 10:22                     ` Merciadri Luca
From: Merciadri Luca @ 2009-08-05 10:22 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

* Re: Dead circumflex?
@ 2009-08-25  6:17                       ` Jens Kjerrström
From: Jens Kjerrström @ 2009-08-25  6:17 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Merciadri Luca <Luca.Merciadri@student.ulg.ac.be> writes:
> The solution is simple. Just add
> (load-library "iso-transl")
>
> to .emacs.

I did this in order to get dead-acute defined. The downside is that I
can't type the acute itself (´), which is achieved by pressing the key
next to backspace twice in other applications, e.g. an xterm
window. Anyone else had an issue with this? I'm running 23.1.1 on RHEL5.

--
Jens

* Re: Dead circumflex?
@ 2009-10-15 16:41                         ` Merciadri Luca
From: Merciadri Luca @ 2009-10-15 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 25 août, 08:17, n...@spam.com (Jens Kjerrström) wrote:
> Merciadri Luca <Luca.Mercia...@student.ulg.ac.be> writes:
> > The solution is simple. Just add
> > (load-library "iso-transl")
>
> > to .emacs.
>
> I did this in order to get dead-acute defined. The downside is that I
> can't type the acute itself (´), which is achieved by pressing the key
> next to backspace twice in other applications, e.g. an xterm
> window. Anyone else had an issue with this? I'm running 23.1.1 on RHEL5.
>
> --
> Jens

Jens, are you using scim?

* Re: Dead circumflex?
@ 2009-10-16  9:53                           ` Jens Kjerrström
From: Jens Kjerrström @ 2009-10-16  9:53 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Merciadri Luca <merciadriluca@gmail.com> writes:

> On 25 août, 08:17, n...@spam.com (Jens Kjerrström) wrote:
>> Merciadri Luca <Luca.Mercia...@student.ulg.ac.be> writes:
>> > The solution is simple. Just add
>> > (load-library "iso-transl")
>>
>> > to .emacs.
>>
>> I did this in order to get dead-acute defined. The downside is that I
>> can't type the acute itself (´), which is achieved by pressing the key
>> next to backspace twice in other applications, e.g. an xterm
>> window. Anyone else had an issue with this? I'm running 23.1.1 on RHEL5.
>
> Jens, are you using scim?

Not that I'm aware of. It's at work, so I don't know all the details of
the setup. I've found the acute on other keys since. Still a bit
strange.

---
Jens